If I go and change a setting then save, exit, restart, setting are not being saved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Did you save by selecting the "save options" menu item? Or did you hit the escape button then click save in the "changes made" dialog box? If you did the save button on the changes made dialog, then that has not been coded yet. But if you use "save options" it should work.

08-10-08 02:47 PM
    Signal-Location Utility

SourceForge.net: Signal-Location Utility for BlackBerry

Not sure if this is something you may be looking for
    08-10-08 03:28 PM
    Here is a new version for anyone wanting to give it a spin.

I have added waypoint persistence. But in doing so, I changed around a lot of things.

Now, you need to add the new waypoint first (don't forget to give it a name), then go to the "List Waypoints" screen. From there you can click on a waypoint and either set it as your destination or edit or delete.

I mentioned before I plan on using this for geocaching, so I think my next step will be to import gpx files.

I made some changes to the GPS connection so that if it loses the connection, it will try to reconnect. I can't think of how to force that test, so if anyone experiences the lost connection that never returns, as RockandRollACDC pointed out, let me know.

Also I fixed the save button when you exit without saving and it prompts you to save.

I feel like this is shaping up a little better now. I will try to get the backlight request in there soon and maybe tracking your route. I haven't forgotten about those.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Removing ZIP file
    My apologies, I attached an old zip file. So this reminds me to add a version number in the About screen to prevent some confusion later. Sorry!!
    Last edited by cook46933; 08-13-08 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Removing ZIP. I think I put the wrong one in. I am going to put a quick version number in the "About" screen.
    08-13-08 08:54 AM
    Once the computer free ill try it. Were out camping so ill give it a good test

08-13-08 10:15 AM
    Hey, I reloaded your program. I did notice when lost connection, it did find it back. I don't see any thing about way points on your menu. Also, lonitude shows a -85 and GPSed showed just 85. What's up with that? I do like your screen layout.

08-13-08 10:54 AM
    I'm installing now. I'll play with it this afternoon and report back.

Thanks again,

clipse
    08-13-08 01:20 PM
    This doesn't even have the settings menu from the last version where you can change the format of the lat long.

clipse
    08-13-08 01:24 PM
    Sorry about that RockAndRollACDC and clipse, as noted above I put the wrong ZIP file out there. In the "About" dialog screen you should see GPS Navigation v1.2.0.
    08-13-08 01:43 PM
    No problem. Just a little confusion. No biggie.

I'll check the new version out after I get home.

Clipse

08-13-08 02:09 PM
    Hey, I reloaded your program. I did notice when lost connection, it did find it back. I don't see any thing about way points on your menu. Also, lonitude shows a -85 and GPSed showed just 85. What's up with that? I do like your screen layout.

It depends on the format. The negative means it is the western hemisphere. If the coordinates have "W" displayed with it, then it is displayed as positive, i.e. W 85 degrees. But if it doesn't have the "W", then it is displayed as negative, i.e. -85 degrees.

Hope that helps.
    08-13-08 03:55 PM
    Cook

Here's what I've found.

1. When I'm not in destination mode everything running good. If I loose satellites it reconnects fairly quickly.

2. I love what you did with waypoints. I like how to choose new waypoint, it gets your current position. Nicely done.

3. Here's were I'm having some problems. When I go in and choose "List Destination", choose my waypoint, it starts fine. But it will loose satellite and not reconnect. If I exit the program, restart program, it reconnects no problem. I go back to destination and it stalls again after awhile.

4. One last thing. When I get close to my destination, approximately 20', it jumps to 60'. Reason I know this is because I put a X on the ground when I saved the waypoint. Least I don't have to walk 5000 anymore to get to my destination...:-)

5. Saving settings worked just fine

6. Just found out there's a problem after you change your options. If you change coordinate Formate to dd. ddd dd, save options, then go to "New WayPoint", you should see that formate. -dd.dddddd -ddd.dddddd. Now go back to options and change it to a different setting. Once you go back into "New Waypoint" you'll notice it's still in the previous setting. If you exit your program, then reopen it, go to "New WayPoint" it will be to the setting you change it to.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by RockAndRollAcdc; 08-15-08 at 05:54 PM. Reason: ADDED ITEM #6 and update spelling..:)
    08-15-08 04:12 PM
    Cook
    3. Here's were I'm having some problems. When I go in and choose "List Destination", choose my waypoint, it starts fine. But it will loose satellite and not reconnect. If I exit the program, restart program, it reconnects no problem. I go back to destination and it stalls again after awhile.
    Do you use an internal GPS or bluetooth? I am using a bluetooth gps (Freedom 2000 Keychain, love it) and I was able to duplicate this situation by turning my GPS off then back on.

If the destination is selected, then switching the GPS off and on breaks the bluetooth connection and it never picks back up. If the destination is not selected, it picks the bluetooth connection up as long as it was not off too long, ~10 seconds.

If you are using a bluetooth GPS, the problem may be the bluetooth connection, not the satellites.

I am going to be approaching it from the broken bluetooth issue, but I wanted to make sure that it is the same problem you are experiencing. If not, then I may have two problems.

Thanks for all the great input!
    08-16-08 11:14 AM
    I'm using my internal. Hopfully don't have to buy one for another year or two. Due to Verizon taking over..:-(

08-16-08 11:21 AM
    OK RockAndRollAcdc, try this one and see if it does better about recapturing the signal.
    08-17-08 08:28 AM
    Hi all,

Sorry that I haven't communicated the last month but i have been on vacation away from technology and internet. But now I'm back again and I'm very impressed with the work cook46933 has done. I'm going to test the application the next few days to see what its like. I'm also in contact with him due email and I hope i can help him developing this application faster to the user demand we been getting her.

So please give as much feedback as possible because that's what this application needs to develop.
    08-19-08 03:39 AM
    Cook

4. One last thing. When I get close to my destination, approximately 20', it jumps to 60'. Reason I know this is because I put a X on the ground when I saved the waypoint. Least I don't have to walk 5000 anymore to get to my destination...:-)

6. Just found out there's a problem after you change your options. If you change coordinate Formate to dd. ddd dd, save options, then go to "New WayPoint", you should see that formate. -dd.dddddd -ddd.dddddd. Now go back to options and change it to a different setting. Once you go back into "New Waypoint" you'll notice it's still in the previous setting. If you exit your program, then reopen it, go to "New WayPoint" it will be to the setting you change it to.

I hope this helps.

Hey, i loaded your new file. It's working pretty good. I like how you put the counter at the end of searching for satellites.

#4 I'm still having some issues with. Here's what i did for a test - At home i stored a way point on a spot in my yard. Then i took the dog for a little walk (more like he takes me for a walk) Once i got far enough away from the house i set my designation. I did notice that when it stalled it reconnected right away. I notice the bearing arrow wasn't very accurate closer i got to the house. When i got within 100ft of my spot, the bearing arrow started to point the opposite way. Also when i got about 20-30 ft from my spot, the number started to go up.

How you coming with number 6? It still doesn't switch when changing the settings. I know it's still correct, waypoint i mean, but it would be nice to have change when you change it.
    08-19-08 06:44 AM
    Hey, i loaded your new file. It's working pretty good. I like how you put the counter at the end of searching for satellites.

#4 I'm still having some issues with. Here's what i did for a test - At home i stored a way point on a spot in my yard. Then i took the dog for a little walk (more like he takes me for a walk) Once i got far enough away from the house i set my designation. I did notice that when it stalled it reconnected right away. I notice the bearing arrow wasn't very accurate closer i got to the house. When i got within 100ft of my spot, the bearing arrow started to point the opposite way. Also when i got about 20-30 ft from my spot, the number started to go up.

How you coming with number 6? It still doesn't switch when changing the settings. I know it's still correct, waypoint i mean, but it would be nice to have change when you change it.
    This last update was just working on the problem losing the signal. I am glad that is working now.

What is the accuracy value that is being displayed? The issues you are reporting sounds like GPS accuracy errors. I am starting to question the accuracy values in the display, I think I may have a wrong calculation there. My phone has been displaying approx 5 ft, but I find that hard to believe. I wonder what kind of accuracy bb gps normally experience?

Now that Paul is back from vacation, we might get some work done around here
    08-19-08 07:11 AM
    Hopefully I won't get in trouble reading this entire thread here at work!

You guys are awesome! I have been a programmer now for 20 plus years and recently started playing around in the dot net world and java. One of my thoughts was to programming a compass needle for my 8310. Thanks to you guys I have a place to start. A real good place to start.

Thanks paul.haenel for getting this ball rolling and cook46933 for running with it. Now you guys are working together and we are all going to benefit. I'm looking forward to watching this thread as well as studying the code. I would love to be able to start contributing as well.

I've been using GPS's for the past 10 years now for everything from backpacking to setting up orienteering courses. I love to geocache and I fly small planes using Garmin's G1000 system. Now that would be something to put into a blackberry . I'm currently using a Garmin Vista C and have been wondering why a simple handheld device like this has not been emulated on the blackberry. It looks like you guys are well on your way to making that happen.

You guys rock! Keep up the good work.
    08-20-08 08:29 AM
    Here in the Phoenix area, I'm 12.5 degrees east declination. Perhaps the first thing I'll try is to add an option for true north vs magnetic north.
    08-20-08 09:46 AM
    I like the new version. Everything I need and then some. What were you talking about with the Lat/Lon conversion to MGRS? What does that effect? Waypoints?
    08-21-08 06:41 PM
    I like the new version. Everything I need and then some. What were you talking about with the Lat/Lon conversion to MGRS? What does that effect? Waypoints?
    All calculations are done with coordinates in ddd.dddddd format. So when it is displaying MGRS, it is converted from the lat/long format to MGRS. Then when you manually enter a MGRS waypoint, it converts it to lat/long in order to save it and to compare it to the current location. So with every one of those calculations, there is a possibility for errors.

The problem I am seeing is this:
    1. click "new Waypoint"
    behind the scenes, it gets current location in lat/long format and converts it to MGRS to display

2. Click save waypoint without changing anything
    behind the scenes, the MGRS is converted to lat/long and stored

3. Click "List Waypoints" and select the waypoint you created

4. You will see that you are probably .15 miles from that location, but you should be right there.
    behind the scenes, the waypoint you selected is in lat/long format and is compared to the current lat/long

This error could either be in the conversion from lat/long to MGRS in step 1 or the mgrs to lat/long conversion in step 2. I am not sure which, it could even be in both. I tried to help fix the error by adding in a certain amount(I can't remember while writing this what that amount is) but I don't think it helped much.

If you have a way to validate the current location is displaying with a good accuracy, we could narrow it down.
    08-21-08 07:22 PM

If you have a way to validate the current location is displaying with a good accuracy, we could narrow it down.
    As soon as I have a chance I will do that... and let you know the results.
    08-23-08 11:49 AM
    Hey there cook

How you coming along with the next update?
    08-24-08 08:28 AM
    Hey there cook

How you coming along with the next update?
    I am sad to say, my laptop is fried right now. I hope to have it back up and running this week, then I can get back into it.
    08-24-08 09:36 AM
    Hi all,
    My weekend went different then it was planed by im sure i will find some time this week to start on helping cook46933 to develop this program further. I have successfully updated my source code and tomorrow im try to give the current app a go and see how far we got.

I will you keep updated.

Regards

Paul
    08-25-08 01:54 PM
830 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD