Okay, that last version is killer. Very very nice. Thanks.
    08-06-08 04:18 PM
    I loaded this on my phone this afternoon cause I'm always looking for a good GPS tracker. I've found this working very well with goggle maps. Other GPS tracker programs I've tried would always stall out when run in conjunction with GM. What are your planes for this cool little program? If i understand how you have this done so far. I can enter my coordinates and then walk toward it?
    08-06-08 07:52 PM
    I loaded this on my phone this afternoon cause I'm always looking for a good GPS tracker. I've found this working very well with goggle maps. Other GPS tracker programs I've tried would always stall out when run in conjunction with GM. What are your planes for this cool little program? If i understand how you have this done so far. I can enter my coordinates and then walk toward it?
    Yes, If you enter a destination coordinate, the bearing arrow will point directly to it "as a crow flies". Just like a handheld GPS receiver.

My intent was to make something I can use for geocaching. So, from here I will work on importing geocaching's pocket queries and store waypoints. I will also improve the layout and graphics. If you have any features you would like to see, I can consider them.

There are other great applications for geocaching, but I am building this application as a learning exercise, and I am too cheap to buy any of them
    08-07-08 08:30 AM
    Yes, If you enter a destination coordinate, the bearing arrow will point directly to it "as a crow flies". Just like a handheld GPS receiver.

My intent was to make something I can use for geocaching. So, from here I will work on importing geocaching's pocket queries and store waypoints. I will also improve the layout and graphics. If you have any features you would like to see, I can consider them.

There are other great applications for geocaching, but I am building this application as a learning exercise, and I am too cheap to buy any of them
    I'm thinking if this works like you describe, i wouldn't have spend $150-$200 on hand held, maybe.

Here's what i would like to see
    1) you meant have this already. Need a refresh, or what ever you call it, when you loose the satellite. Like BM has, when satellite is lost it keeps searching until it finds again. I notice yesterday when i got closer to home it stop working. I just close the program and reopen it and it worked

2) Have a way you can save you position and then be able to past in to your destination. Also be able to name your save position.
    08-07-08 09:53 AM
    I'm thinking if this works like you describe, i wouldn't have spend $150-$200 on hand held, maybe.
    Yup, that is the plan.

1) you meant have this already. Need a refresh, or what ever you call it, when you loose the satellite. Like BM has, when satellite is lost it keeps searching until it finds again. I notice yesterday when i got closer to home it stop working. I just close the program and reopen it and it worked
    It is supposed to be working that way. And it was working that way. I wonder if it is getting an error that it is not displaying... Unfortunately, that will be hard to debug.

2) Have a way you can save you position and then be able to past in to your destination. Also be able to name your save position.
    I think that will be next on my list.

I think we are on the same page with where this app is headed.

Stay Tuned
    08-07-08 10:17 AM
    It is supposed to be working that way. And it was working that way. I wonder if it is getting an error that it is not displaying... Unfortunately, that will be hard to debug.
    I'm assuming you have some type of loop (If and then) while searching for satellite. Could you program in like a blinking word saying that it's searching? Plus that way if it isn't working, you could may be tell what's going on. Your more then welcome to give me a trouble shooting program to maybe see what's going on then i could email it to you.

Keep up the good work. We need programers like you....
    08-07-08 10:57 AM
    Persistance would be great.

I was planning on getting a gps unit cause I couldn't find an app that did what I wanted. Untill now.

I'm excited to see where this goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 02:32 PM
    I have just started using GPSed and Nav4All and both are great so far. And they both are free and OTA.

Keep on Crack'n!!!!!! =8')
    08-07-08 03:04 PM
    I have just started using GPSed and Nav4All and both are great so far. And they both are free and OTA.

Keep on Crack'n!!!!!! =8')
    Yea i have both of those also. Don't load the new version of Nav4All, unless you speak German i think. There's menu in there that did get translated correctly.

This program he's developing i think will benefit us who wants a cheap (free), but good program, for outdoor adventures. Right now, far as i know, GPSed and Nav4All are more meant for driving.

I'm going to do some testing tonight when walking the dog to see how good this is.
    08-07-08 04:33 PM
    I did Nav4All and yes you can choose any country. Including the Good ole USA.
    And with GPSed you can set waypoints and it keeps track of your path and save the info to your SD card. It would be perfect for boating, hicking, driving or whatever. It does not use maps. Its a quick download OTA. Nav4ALL

Give it a try.
    =8'). Keep on Crack'n!!!!
    08-07-08 05:08 PM
    Here's a link to GPSed another quick free download OTA.

CrackBerry AppStore

Keep on Crack'n!

08-07-08 05:38 PM
    You know, cook, I might sound a little bit like a heretic now...but:
    Do you have a Paypal account? Although you do this programming as an exercise, I'd like to pay you back. I think you're doing us all a great favour and it seems as if you were putting quite some effort into it.
    I'm in no way rich but I can afford one or two, maybe even three dollar to send...if you want to accept. Maybe others would join in, too.

In my opinion, you deserve it since you communicate with us and even fulfill wishes or incorporate ideas.

btw: I'd still love to see the 'distance' feature: Showing us how far away an entered waypoint is

Until then,
    Patrick
    08-08-08 04:13 AM
    Thanks for the offer, Patrick, but that is not necessary. You have paid me back by helping test it out. I have no expenses with this project other than time and it is more of an investment for me.

Besides, I am still using Paul's initial GPS process and promised no commercial uses. Donations would seem commercial to me.

But as far as the distance feature, it has been there since I put the destination screen in. It is on the main screen right below speed and above azimuth. Are you not seeing it? It only shows up if you have a destination entered.

If you don't see it, let me know what you do see on your screen and maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks,
    David
    08-08-08 11:06 AM
    Thanks for the offer, Patrick, but that is not necessary. You have paid me back by helping test it out. I have no expenses with this project other than time and it is more of an investment for me.

Besides, I am still using Paul's initial GPS process and promised no commercial uses. Donations would seem commercial to me.

But as far as the distance feature, it has been there since I put the destination screen in. It is on the main screen right below speed and above azimuth. Are you not seeing it? It only shows up if you have a destination entered.

If you don't see it, let me know what you do see on your screen and maybe I can figure it out.

Thanks,
    David
    What?!!? We can't pay you? What if we pay you with our own time investment? I homebrew beer, if your interested I'll mail you some.
    08-08-08 04:25 PM
    What?!!? We can't pay you? What if we pay you with our own time investment? I homebrew beer, if your interested I'll mail you some.
    LOL!! Only if it is Root Beer
    08-08-08 08:22 PM
    [QUOTE=Phelos;584555]
    I did Nav4All and yes you can choose any country. Including the Good ole USA.
    And with GPSed you can set waypoints and it keeps track of your path and save the info to your SD card. It would be perfect for boating, hicking, driving or whatever. It does not use maps. Its a quick download OTA. Nav4ALL

Give it a try.
    =8'). Keep on Crack'n!!!![/QUOTE

I've played with GPSed some what. I have not yet found how to travel, or walk, to a way point you've stored. Plus with GPSed, if you email them about a problem you never, or rarely, get a response from them. But if you know how, i would love to hear how. But, let's start another thread for that. I would like to keep this one focused on what this gentlemen doing.
    08-09-08 07:31 AM
    I downloaded and tried this yesterday. I have a strange screen problem (oh, 8830WE) - if I scroll down the screen, I have real problem trying to get back UP to the screen trying to see the info higher up on the page/screen.
    08-09-08 10:05 AM
    I downloaded and tried this yesterday. I have a strange screen problem (oh, 8830WE) - if I scroll down the screen, I have real problem trying to get back UP to the screen trying to see the info higher up on the page/screen.
    Do you know the resolution size for your screen? It all fits on my curve without scrolling so I have not noticed this problem.

Right now I am in the middle of adding some major changes (waypoint persistence) and my development area is filled with that right now. but I will make sure I test with an 8830 simulator when I get to that point to see it if duplicates the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
    08-09-08 11:56 AM
    I don't know the 8830 resolution but others probably do.

But you may be right - the resolution could be an issue since another anamoly is that other parts of the display BOUNCE as the numical values go up/down. In other words as a number becomes larger (or is the text justified), it causes the values on the screen to wrap to the next line and then back down to one line so the text is quite JUMPY. So for Altitude I get alternately:

Altitude: 63.4 m 208.66
    feet

or

Altitude: 63.8 m 211.23 feet

That wrapping and Unwrapping, of course, shifts the text on lower lines down and up.

Maybe it is also the FONT I have active????

Ah, I now see more jumping due to the change in values for Speed. Maybe there display should have a fixed sized numerical field so that the words "kmh" and "knots" don't get moved left and right??? It is a disconcerting visual affect.
    Last edited by F2; 08-09-08 at 02:13 PM.
    08-09-08 02:10 PM
    I don't know the 8830 resolution but others probably do.
    In other words as a number becomes larger (or is the text justified), it causes the values on the screen to wrap to the next line and then back down to one line so the text is quite JUMPY. So for Altitude I get alternately:

Altitude: 63.4 m 208.66
    feet

or

Altitude: 63.8 m 211.23 feet
    Ah, you are using an older version. This is a work-in-progress and I am putting updates out there as I get to appropriate check points. Use the version at in post #99, Use this link to get there.

With that version, I added an options page to select unit formats and it really cleaned up the screen. I looked it up and the 8830 has the same screen resolution as my curve. So this should take care of the problem.

I agree the lines wrapping was very irritating

Note to self: Gotta start using version numbers so I can keep these straight
    08-09-08 02:33 PM
    Sorry, I went looking for a download link and must have found an older one.

Hmm, did you change the "bluetooth" operations? When I fired up the older version (bad screens), my bluetooth would immediately start to blink on the BB and my puck. This one is NOT and so I guess I will have to go to bluetooth and re-envigorate it. Having problems finding the puck now....
    08-09-08 03:28 PM
    No, I did not change any of the gps or bluetooth settings. I use a bluetooth gps too and a couple of times after installing I needed to do a soft reset on my bb before it would work. I believe it is more a bb problem than app problem but I could be wrong.

08-09-08 03:41 PM
    Hey There, few things

First - I'm finding that your program is still stalling out and not retrieving the satellites once it's stalled. Still say you need something in your program telling us that it's trying to find a satellite. Blinking word saying - trying to locate satellite

Second - I'm finding if you walk slow the compass and bearing seam to go all over the place. if you walk at a descent pace, like about MPH, it's not bad. How fast do you need to walk for this to be reliable?

Third - Would like to see the bearing arrow turn colors when you get close to your destination. maybe red for almost there, yellow for closer the green for very close. Or even start blinking when you get close.

Fourth - What's about with the distance? it says i have 5000 mile to travel to my coordinates. Dang, I'll be real tired by then....:-)

Fith - Is there a way you can control the back lighting on the phone? For example, on BlackBerry maps you can set the backlight to go off if battery is less than 50%.
    08-09-08 08:13 PM
    Hey There, few things

First - I'm finding that your program is still stalling out and not retrieving the satellites once it's stalled. Still say you need something in your program telling us that it's trying to find a satellite. Blinking word saying - trying to locate satellite
    I am putting in a change to reestablish the link if it loses it. I hope that will help the problem.
    Second - I'm finding if you walk slow the compass and bearing seam to go all over the place. if you walk at a descent pace, like about MPH, it's not bad. How fast do you need to walk for this to be reliable?
    That is due to the accuracy errors. If you are standing still you will still see your location drift within a few feet of accuracy. The only way to fix that would be to ignore direction changes if below a certain speed. But I still don't think that would be any better. What kind of accuracy numbers are you experiencing?
    Third - Would like to see the bearing arrow turn colors when you get close to your destination. maybe red for almost there, yellow for closer the green for very close. Or even start blinking when you get close.
    That one is interesting. I never thought about that. Right now I am accomplishing the arrows with 36 different arrow images. If I add color that would just multiply the number of image files. In the future I was planning on readdressing the arrows and maybe I can do something then. Good suggestion.

Fourth - What's about with the distance? it says i have 5000 mile to travel to my coordinates. Dang, I'll be real tired by then....:-)
    What's wrong with a little walk???
    I have not experienced this problem. What format are you using for the coordiinates? If using dd mm.mmm then make sure you are using the right hemisphere n/s/e/w. What do you have for current and destination coordinates?

Fith - Is there a way you can control the back lighting on the phone? For example, on BlackBerry maps you can set the backlight to go off if battery is less than 50%.
    I believe that can be done. I will look into it.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

08-09-08 09:52 PM
    If I go and change a setting then save, exit, restart, setting are not being saved.

08-10-08 06:52 AM
830 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD