The .loc and .gpx files contain information about the cache(s). The .aspx is an extension for the web page where the caches are viewed. Don't try to rename it and import it into BlackStar.

There are two ways to get the cache files (.loc/.gpx):
    1) In BlackStar in the menu (push the blackberry button) there is an item "Closest 20 Caches". By selecting that item you will be taken to geocaching.com. A page, 20, caches will be listed. At the bottom of the page will be a "Check All" button. Click on it (may take a couple times) and it will become "Uncheck All" then click on the "Download Waypoints" button. Save that file. This file will contain .loc's for each of the caches on the page.

2) To get a single cache, select one of the caches from the list above. On the cache detail page there is a selection to download a .loc file or, if a premium member, a .gpx file. Save the file.

Once the file has been downloaded, exit geocaching.com to return to BlackStar. On the menu select "List Waypoints". Press the Blackberry button and select "Import GPX/LOC File". Navigate to the file(s) saved in 1 and/or 2 and select them. They will be available on the BlackStar list.

Hope that helps
    This did help with some things i didn't know I did figured how to change the file extension after what cook said after my post. But to let you know, If you down load the loc file to your phone and it loads as a .aspx file, you came rename it on your phone and import to blackstar.

Here's how for blackberry users
    1. pick the cache you want
    2. download LOC file. It will prompt you for a folder, i put mine on my SD card.
    3. on you BlackBerry go to media icon and choose it
    4. Once there you should see all your media icons, if not, back up tell you do. now choose your menu bottom and then Explore.
    5. now just navigate to the folder you saved the file in
    6. select file
    7. now just rename it to .loc

After this is done, just go to B* and import it in...

Hope this also helps
    03-11-09 02:12 PM
    LOL Thanks. So do we have a new geocaching fanatic?

David (yes, a man's name )
    yes i'm hoocked.... I went out and found one at lunch today, I'm up to 10 found..lol just started this past weekend
    03-11-09 02:14 PM
    Hi everyone, dont want to sound like a noob but I cant get the app to work on my Sprint 8330. I downloaded OTA, installed, but cant locate any satellites. All I have is the blank SPD and DIST plus the prompt "searching for satellites".
    help
    btw, im runnin 4.5.0.131

nevermind resendin service books did it
    Last edited by artex101; 03-12-09 at 12:24 AM. Reason: found solution
    03-12-09 12:02 AM
    Hi everyone, dont want to sound like a noob but I cant get the app to work on my Sprint 8330. I downloaded OTA, installed, but cant locate any satellites. All I have is the blank SPD and DIST plus the prompt "searching for satellites".
    help
    btw, im runnin 4.5.0.131

nevermind resendin service books did it

Hi artex101,

I dont know if sprint logs down the gps for third party application, but please ensure you stand outside. With blue sky it shouldnt take longer then 30 seconds otherwise it can take up to 1 min.

Please ensure by checking with the map application if you are connected to any satellites.

Hope this helps paul
    03-12-09 04:23 AM
    Hello all,

I just wanted to say what a great app. I have been playing with this for the last day on my Storm and am really impressed with the functionality.

Great job.
    03-12-09 09:56 PM
    Hey cook
    I hope in your next version you figured out how to keep the back light on like Blackberry map does. I finding I'm always hitting the dang pearl to light it up.

Still loving it......
    03-13-09 02:50 PM
    Hey cook
    I hope in your next version you figured out how to keep the back light on like Blackberry map does. I finding I'm always hitting the dang pearl to light it up.

Still loving it......
    Yep, Enable backlight lock is an menu item on the main screen.

I am just waiting on some feedback from some beta testers and hope to have the release ready this weekend.
    03-13-09 02:56 PM
    kick donkey!!!!! waiting patiently!!!!!!
    03-13-09 03:09 PM
    Yep, Enable backlight lock is an menu item on the main screen.

I am just waiting on some feedback from some beta testers and hope to have the release ready this weekend.
    Eggcellent. Can't wait to have the larger font size.
    03-13-09 03:56 PM
    I understand that .gpx files are supported so I did an export from GSAK of my saved caches and saved on my SD card. This is the error I received.

The file is rather large containing about 2000 caches. I'll retry with just sending a couple and see what happens.
    03-14-09 07:08 PM
    Yep, tried importing a smaller file (16 caches) and it works.
    03-14-09 07:13 PM
    I understand that .gpx files are supported so I did an export from GSAK of my saved caches and saved on my SD card. This is the error I received.

The file is rather large containing about 2000 caches. I'll retry with just sending a couple and see what happens.
    The current version is only able to handle small files right now. Approx 20 caches in a gpx file, more if using loc. The next version you will be able to handle more, but you will not want to do a file of that size. The reason is every time you fo into the List Waypoints page, it will recalculate the distance to each waypoint. It will be very cumbersome to use more than a few hundred caches.

One alternative you could look into would be to use bcaching.com. It is a web application that allows you to store your PQ results and access using a mobile web interface. I have some changes going in to interface B* with bcaching.
    03-14-09 07:16 PM
    Interesting, thanks for the quick response. As an avid GC'er I don't generally leave home with out a Garmin in hand. I have been looking for an app that would allow me to be able to look up caches within my current proximity which I may not have installed on my Garmin. This program looks like it will do the trick. Most apps that I have tried have not been compatible with the 8350i and the iden network. I look forward to testing out this gem!
    03-14-09 07:23 PM
    One alternative you could look into would be to use bcaching.com. It is a web application that allows you to store your PQ results and access using a mobile web interface. I have some changes going in to interface B* with bcaching.
    Note that bcaching does not support uploads from GSAK though. It only allows pocket queries directly from geocaching.com, but you can upload as many pocket queries as you want.
    03-15-09 08:10 AM
    Well, it's taken me about a week to get through this topic, a couple hours here and there, but I'm finally all caught up. It's amazing to read how this app started and follow all of the functions that have been incorporated into it over the past year. Paul, Dave and Bruce...you guys have put together a truly awesome app for BB users, all on your own time. And of course, it couldn't have happened if not for the great input from everyone else who has participated in this thread from all over the world. I've never geocached before, but when the next release comes out I'm taking my daughter out for a little father-daughter treasure hunting time!!

Oh, and I think I found a way to solve the World Peace issue. If everybody had a BB, they would be too busy helping each other build cool apps and wouldn't have time to fight!!! haha

Thanks again,
    Mark
    03-15-09 12:50 PM
    Here it is...
    Time to release BlackStar 1.4. It includes the following changes:
    • log geocache online. Only works if geocache was loaded from gpx file.
    • add field note for find in B*. I will eventually have an export for the field notes to be able to load into geocaching.com.
    • mark geocache as found in B*
    • mark geocache as DNF in B*
    • indicate found or DNF on list waypoints waypoints screen
    • arrow and compass drawn instead of image files
    • disclaimer in about
    • Options - allow ability to turn off geocaching menu items. Not a geocacher? Turn off the options to keep menus clean. But you should consider geocaching Requires B* restart to take effect
    • Options - allow ability to turn off menu items that access data charges. Not responsible if I missed one  Requires B* restart to take effect
    • night mode – Still a little quirky. I think it is more RIM limitations.
    • copy location to clipboard
    • Google maps integration. See waypoint location on Google Maps
    • bb maps integration. See waypoint location on BB maps. Also see all waypoints on BB maps from the list waypoints screen
    • backlight lock
    • Ability to store more caches. No more 20 cache limit on GPX. You can now import hundreds of caches as a time, but the more caches you store, the longer it will take to calculate distances for the List Waypoints page.
    • I compiled and signed with RIM JDE 4.7 hopefully this improves the interface for Storm users.
    • lat/lon font sizes are customizable in the options screen. You must restart B* for the changes to take place.
    • The location field and speed/distance fields font sizes are customizable in the options screen. You must restart B* for the changes to take place.
    • As you resize the fonts, the compass will resize to take up the remainder of the screen.
    • bcaching integration. Bcaching.com is a web application that allows geocachers to store the results of their pocket queries in a database with a nice mobile web interface. The website owner has designed an API to allow
      us to extract geocaching information from his website into BlackStar. Note that bcaching is only available for premium members on geocaching.com. That is because you need to be able to run pocket queries(pq's) which is a premium member only feature.

Why do use bcaching when we can just import the PQ directly into B*? You will notice as you add hundreds of caches into B* that the time it takes to open the list waypoints page will get longer and longer and longer. bcaching.com has a much larger capacity to store caches. So we can take advantage of that by storing large pocket queries on bcaching and use a menu item in B* to extract the 20 closest, or view the 20 closest on the web interface using the coords from B*. Right now those are the only features I am implementing. Mainly because I have to draw a line in the sand for this release somewhere But I think for die hard geocachers, this will be way cool.

In order to use bcaching, you will need to register on bcaching.com. Then you will need to load your "My Finds" PQ and another PQ result. In order to meet Groundspeaks TOU for geocache data, Mark needed to sign an agreement with them that stated he had to restrict user acces to only the data they loaded themselves, not others' data. So you will only be able to see caches from your own pq's. Then you can enter your userid and password into the B* options screen and click the validate and store userid button. After that, you just need to click the "get closest from bcaching" menu item and it will extract and store the 20 closest caches you have on bcaching.com

I feel like I am forgetting a few items, so feel free to explore it and see if I forgot anything.

The OTA link has been updated. The ZIP file for desktop users will be released with the new BlackStar website.
    OTA Link: http://tinyurl.com/gpsnav
    Last edited by cook46933; 03-15-09 at 08:39 PM. Reason: fix version number
    03-15-09 06:18 PM
    I am excited. Do I need to uninstall the last version I loaded a few weeks ago before I install this version?
    03-15-09 06:53 PM
    I am excited. Do I need to uninstall the last version I loaded a few weeks ago before I install this version?
    It should install right over the last version. However, you will lose any save waypoints. If you want to keep your waypoints, export them and then import that file after you upgrade.
    03-15-09 06:58 PM
    I exported my saved points, installed the new version, thin imported the gpx file. Only the last point seemed to come back even tho it said 8 points were updated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 07:11 PM
    Ok, I am sorry. But I seem to have lost my thinking cap, and cannot remember how I downloaded the last version. I typed in the tinyurl link like you have it and also tried gpsnavigation link in blackberry web browser and I get an error.
    03-15-09 07:18 PM
    I used the tinyurl just fine and am downloading right now - ON THE BB.
    03-15-09 07:33 PM
    Ok, I am sorry. But I seem to have lost my thinking cap, and cannot remember how I downloaded the last version. I typed in the tinyurl link like you have it and also tried gpsnavigation link in blackberry web browser and I get an error.
    What is the error?
    03-15-09 07:37 PM
    I'll keep trying, but after http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad link destination pops up on my bold with the B* download screen... and then whenever I select download I get a moment of status bar, say 15% and then I get a pop-up "download failed".

I've tried several times, with wifi as well...

I remember this happening before, way back, and when I tried a few times or maybe it was on wifi it finally worked... Guess I'll keep trying

First Error

Error Details

Any ideas
    03-15-09 07:37 PM
    I exported my saved points, installed the new version, thin imported the gpx file. Only the last point seemed to come back even tho it said 8 points were updated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Can you open the BlackStar.gpx in a text editor? If so, can you see all the waypoints?
    03-15-09 07:40 PM
    This rocks, downloaded and runs great, the integration with B* is sweet.
    Thanks!
    Ed
    03-15-09 07:42 PM
830 ... 2930313233 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD