Hey, all. I'm headed into the woods this morning with my Sprint BB Curve 8330. I have all of the waypoints saved into B* with the hopes that I can use my BB to navigate the trail. I'm pretty sure I will be way out of service so this will be a good test for me as far as if my GPS will work out of service. I'll let you know what happens!

PS don't worry, I have a map and compass, too!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Good luck! I am anxious to hear your report.
    03-05-09 10:58 AM
    i've been doing geocaching since 2002 and i have to say this is a pretty sweet app. this will save me tons of work i used to have to put in before going out. print out all the cheats, just in case, download waypoints to my garmin. organize them in distance location. all of that hindered us from going as much as we would like. this is exciting and well done. maybe a little polishing it off to look nice and pretty for my storm, but the features are awesome. love that i can get the waypoint details and then click on the link and be instantly on the site. my favorite feature has to be the 20 closest caches. thanks all!

i can't seem to get the "check all" feature (to check all waypoints) to work on the site though. does it work for anyone out there with a storm?
    03-05-09 02:57 PM
    i've been doing geocaching since 2002 and i have to say this is a pretty sweet app. this will save me tons of work i used to have to put in before going out. print out all the cheats, just in case, download waypoints to my garmin. organize them in distance location. all of that hindered us from going as much as we would like. this is exciting and well done. maybe a little polishing it off to look nice and pretty for my storm, but the features are awesome. love that i can get the waypoint details and then click on the link and be instantly on the site. my favorite feature has to be the 20 closest caches. thanks all!

i can't seem to get the "check all" feature (to check all waypoints) to work on the site though. does it work for anyone out there with a storm?
    Thanks for the feedback.
    For the "check all", make sure javascript is enabled on your browser options.
    Another handy tip, if you only want the closest cache, or one particular cache, open the cache page and there is a button for "GPX eXchange File" or "LOC Waypoint File" and you can download just one cache.
    03-05-09 04:03 PM
    Thanks for the feedback.
    For the "check all", make sure javascript is enabled on your browser options.
    Another handy tip, if you only want the closest cache, or one particular cache, open the cache page and there is a button for "GPX eXchange File" or "LOC Waypoint File" and you can download just one cache.
    yeah, i tried the javascript enabled, with no luck before. might do a battery pull and see if that helps. cleared the cache as well.

tks for the other tip, i will try that out!
    03-05-09 04:31 PM
    Hi I appear to be missing something but I can't get the application at the tiny URL to work. (the blackstar ota install)

I am trying to load with Desktop Manager Application Loader.

It is asking for either a *alx or *ali file

If I specify any file and find the blackstar.jad that I have downloaded, it says that no applications for my device can be found - i have an 8800

any help would be appreciated

thanks
    03-06-09 09:17 AM
    Hi I appear to be missing something but I can't get the application at the tiny URL to work. (the blackstar ota install)

I am trying to load with Desktop Manager Application Loader.

It is asking for either a *alx or *ali file

If I specify any file and find the blackstar.jad that I have downloaded, it says that no applications for my device can be found - i have an 8800

any help would be appreciated

thanks
    The link http://tinyurl.com/gpsnav is for OTA install. Go to the link in your BB browser and it will prompt you to install it. If you want to install using desktop manage, use the zip in the following link http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ml#post1244101
    03-06-09 09:44 AM
    Hey Dave, Paul, and everyone... If anyone wants to find a good cache, I dropped my 8110 while working. I reached for it and noticed it was under water and smashed in the mud. It is buried about 10 feet under the surface of the road at:
    46.7120466 -92.0595619

Good luck finding it!
    03-06-09 05:51 PM
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of this app. I'll play around with it tomorrow. I use my storm most frequently in landscape, but if it means one less gadget to carry around (since i take my phone caching anyway) I'm all for it.
    03-06-09 06:16 PM
    Hey Dave, Paul, and everyone... If anyone wants to find a good cache, I dropped my 8110 while working. I reached for it and noticed it was under water and smashed in the mud. It is buried about 10 feet under the surface of the road at:
    46.7120466 -92.0595619

Good luck finding it!
    You didn't pave over it yet did you? I am on my way so I can be FTF
    03-06-09 10:15 PM
    It's just cold mix (very loose asphalt). It's an easy dig with a shovel.
    Last edited by sam1ee; 03-07-09 at 09:44 PM.
    03-07-09 03:06 PM
    i just tried geocaching for the first time today. I did find it. But i do have a question, whats a .aspx? when i downloaded the LOC file, that's the file extension. what can i do with it?????
    03-07-09 07:10 PM
    i just tried geocaching for the first time today. I did find it. But i do have a question, whats a .aspx? when i downloaded the LOC file, that's the file extension. what can i do with it?????
    *.aspx files are ASP net files:
    ASP.NET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The *.loc file contains limited geographic information that leads you to the cache or the next clue.
    03-07-09 09:43 PM
    I enjoy the import of GPX, hope future additions will export the route taked in GPX so I can view it later with friends on a satellite map like Google Earth.
    03-07-09 11:50 PM
    I enjoy the import of GPX, hope future additions will export the route taked in GPX so I can view it later with friends on a satellite map like Google Earth.
    I have always considered that, but never gave it a lot of priority. Check out GPSLogger in this forum, I haven;t played with it but it seems to work pretty well for this purpose.

Has anyone tried running GPSLogger and BlackStar at the same time?
    03-08-09 12:06 AM
    Are you talking about the LOC file download from Geocaching.com? gc.com uses asp programs to create the download files, but when you save them, change the extension to .loc and then you can import it into BlackStar.
    03-08-09 12:10 AM
    Are you talking about the LOC file download from Geocaching.com? gc.com uses asp programs to create the download files, but when you save them, change the extension to .loc and then you can import it into BlackStar.
    Yes i am cook.

See what i did was downloaded the LOC on my cell phone SD and noticed it came across as .aspx. But when i got home i downloaded it on my computer and it downloaded as .loc. I did import into B* and i liked....
    03-08-09 09:00 AM
    I have a storm and I noticed something off with the compass. It sets the direction when I set a destination but it then doesn't update as I move. The distance changes but the arrow stays fixed. Then I noticed that when I switch apps and go back to b* the compass arrow updates.

Is this a known issue?
    03-09-09 07:55 AM
    I have a storm and I noticed something off with the compass. It sets the direction when I set a destination but it then doesn't update as I move. The distance changes but the arrow stays fixed. Then I noticed that when I switch apps and go back to b* the compass arrow updates.

Is this a known issue?
    Are you in landscape orientation when this happens? I know there are some issues in landscape, but as far as I know portrait mode was working.

Either way, the compass and arrow logic is completely different in the next release which should be happening within a week.
    03-09-09 08:19 AM
    I was in portrait mode when i saw this issue. I guess I will wait for the next version and that will hopefully solve the problem.
    03-09-09 09:42 AM
    any plans on integrating this more with the geocaching site directly like the iphone geocaching app does?
    03-09-09 06:00 PM
    any plans on integrating this more with the geocaching site directly like the iphone geocaching app does?
    Unfortunately, no. Groundspeak does not allow public access to their api. I believe the iphone app was developed by Groundspeak so they have direct access. Trimble Outdoors has a special arrangement with them for Geocache Navigator, but I think they are the only ones.
    So we have to make do with gpx files.
    We are integrating with bcaching.com though.
    If Groundspeak ever does open their API to the public, I'll be all over it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 07:28 PM
    cook my man (hope your a man...lol lol)

Ever since i started geocaching my confidence in your program has sky rocketed. Before i wasn't very trust worthy of it cause it seamed off. now that I'm finding things like this i know the programs zone. I'm typically with 10ft i find when it says your about 0ft.

GREAT JOB!!!!!
    03-11-09 11:44 AM
    cook my man (hope your a man...lol lol)

Ever since i started geocaching my confidence in your program has sky rocketed. Before i wasn't very trust worthy of it cause it seamed off. now that I'm finding things like this i know the programs zone. I'm typically with 10ft i find when it says your about 0ft.

GREAT JOB!!!!!
    LOL Thanks. So do we have a new geocaching fanatic?

David (yes, a man's name )
    03-11-09 12:17 PM
    The .loc and .gpx files contain information about the cache(s). The .aspx is an extension for the web page where the caches are viewed. Don't try to rename it and import it into BlackStar.

There are two ways to get the cache files (.loc/.gpx):
    1) In BlackStar in the menu (push the blackberry button) there is an item "Closest 20 Caches". By selecting that item you will be taken to geocaching.com. A page, 20, caches will be listed. At the bottom of the page will be a "Check All" button. Click on it (may take a couple times) and it will become "Uncheck All" then click on the "Download Waypoints" button. Save that file. This file will contain .loc's for each of the caches on the page.

2) To get a single cache, select one of the caches from the list above. On the cache detail page there is a selection to download a .loc file or, if a premium member, a .gpx file. Save the file.

Once the file has been downloaded, exit geocaching.com to return to BlackStar. On the menu select "List Waypoints". Press the Blackberry button and select "Import GPX/LOC File". Navigate to the file(s) saved in 1 and/or 2 and select them. They will be available on the BlackStar list.

Hope that helps
    03-11-09 12:45 PM
    The .loc and .gpx files contain information about the cache(s). The .aspx is an extension for the web page where the caches are viewed. Don't try to rename it and import it into BlackStar.

There are two ways to get the cache files (.loc/.gpx):
    1) In BlackStar in the menu (push the blackberry button) there is an item "Closest 20 Caches". By selecting that item you will be taken to geocaching.com. A page, 20, caches will be listed. At the bottom of the page will be a "Check All" button. Click on it (may take a couple times) and it will become "Uncheck All" then click on the "Download Waypoints" button. Save that file. This file will contain .loc's for each of the caches on the page.

2) To get a single cache, select one of the caches from the list above. On the cache detail page there is a selection to download a .loc file or, if a premium member, a .gpx file. Save the file.

Once the file has been downloaded, exit geocaching.com to return to BlackStar. On the menu select "List Waypoints". Press the Blackberry button and select "Import GPX/LOC File". Navigate to the file(s) saved in 1 and/or 2 and select them. They will be available on the BlackStar list.

Hope that helps
    Excellent instructions. However, on most if not all blackberry phones, the file that gets downloaded has an extension of .aspx instead of .gpx or loc. However it really is a gpx or loc file. If you do this on a PC, the file gets downloaded as .gpx or .loc properly. I don't know why it is different on the BB, but that is my experience. It might have something to do with mime types.
    03-11-09 01:36 PM
830 ... 2829303132 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD