Trying to be the voice of limited-memory-reason, if the program grows too much with lots of odds-ends features, it might cram the limited memory on some of the admittedly older devices. As for search/rescue, I think getting signals/data in remote areas would make that a more limited use feature. Clearly, in urban search/rescue it could be handy.
    02-25-09 10:51 AM
    There are a couple of ways to download the cache coordinates. If you are a premium member, then you can download GPX files using "pocket queries" or the download gpx button on each cache page.
    Premium and non-premium members can download LOC files from the cache listing page or the download LOC button on each cache page.

Store the file on your SD card and use the Import GPX/LOC menu item on the List Waypoints screen in BlackStar.

The LOC files will only contain the coordinates and cache name, gpx files will contain all the cache information on gecaching.com.

I will try to get some documentation written up on using BlackStar, but it is not high on my todo list. I don't like creating documentation
    Thank you for the help. That is a whole lot better way. Once again thanks for everything you have put into building this awesome app for us!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 07:09 AM
    CrackBerryProject.alx link does not seem to be working, do I need to copy both files to my storm sd card ?

TIA
    02-26-09 11:42 AM
    CrackBerryProject.alx link does not seem to be working, do I need to copy both files to my storm sd card ?

TIA
    I think you have an ancient copy. For easiest install, use the OTA link: http://tinyurl.com/gpsnav
    02-26-09 12:27 PM
    Hey guys, i just got blackstar! i was trying to get this type of program way at the beginning of this stream. I am in the US army and currently work as a pathfinder instructor this tool will save me a bit of time and effort. Paul and Dave outstanding job!!!
    02-26-09 06:25 PM
    Great app. One question. When I logged in a geocache near my home and set it as the destination, it showed as being 6000 miles away. Any obvious mistake on my part?

03-01-09 11:11 PM
    Great app. One question. When I logged in a geocache near my home and set it as the destination, it showed as being 6000 miles away. Any obvious mistake on my part?

Did you manually enter the coordinates or did you import them from a file? If you entered them manually, did you enter the N/S/E/W correctly if using dd mm.mmm fornat? Or if using ddd.dddd format did you use +/- correctly?

03-02-09 12:09 AM
    wow, this thread is LONG! I read through half of it, and then skimmed the rest. If I read correctly, the latest version is 1.3.3.9. Do you guys have a change log or main webpage where someone just joining the thread can see all the progress? Or maybe by editing the first post of the thread, so there will be a centralized location for information?

Was thinking about trying geocaching when weather gets better. And i will be getting my Blackberry tomorrow! I couldn't have picked a better time to find this thread. Can't wait to try it out!
    03-02-09 12:48 AM
    The lastest version I have seen is 1.3.3.5. Can't wait to try the new update when it comes out. Thanks for the app. Its great!

03-02-09 08:02 AM
    Did you manually enter the coordinates or did you import them from a file? If you entered them manually, did you enter the N/S/E/W correctly if using dd mm.mmm fornat? Or if using ddd.dddd format did you use +/- correctly?

It was the - I was missing. Thanks! Which format is the standard for geocache.com? And will it automaticly adjust the waypoints stored if I change back to the geocache.com standard? Thanks again!
    03-02-09 10:48 AM
    I've been fooling around with B* for a few months and have enjoyed following this thread. I can't wait for spring to go out and give it a try. Thanks for your hard work!
    Last edited by dog2490; 03-02-09 at 11:04 AM. Reason: More info
    03-02-09 11:04 AM
    It was the - I was missing. Thanks! Which format is the standard for geocache.com? And will it automaticly adjust the waypoints stored if I change back to the geocache.com standard? Thanks again!
    The default format for geocaching.com is dd:mm.mmmmm format. Using that format, you will see a n/s and e/w drop down boxes when entering waypoints.

And yes, any waypoints you have stored are automatically converted to the specified format.
    03-02-09 01:56 PM
    I've been fooling around with B* for a few months and have enjoyed following this thread. I can't wait for spring to go out and give it a try. Thanks for your hard work!
    Thanks, it has been an adventure hasn't it?
    03-02-09 02:17 PM
    wow, this thread is LONG! I read through half of it, and then skimmed the rest. If I read correctly, the latest version is 1.3.3.9. Do you guys have a change log or main webpage where someone just joining the thread can see all the progress? Or maybe by editing the first post of the thread, so there will be a centralized location for information?

Was thinking about trying geocaching when weather gets better. And i will be getting my Blackberry tomorrow! I couldn't have picked a better time to find this thread. Can't wait to try it out!
    Unfortunately, we don't own the first post in the thread. We have some things in the works to improve the documentation.
    03-02-09 02:37 PM
    The default format for geocaching.com is dd:mm.mmmmm format. Using that format, you will see a n/s and e/w drop down boxes when entering waypoints.

And yes, any waypoints you have stored are automatically converted to the specified format.
    Thank you! I was to afraid to change the formot for fear of losing the 15 caches i just put in......using the wrong format. What a PITA that was.
    Once again thanks to all that helped make this wonderful app.
    03-02-09 03:46 PM
    Thank you! I was to afraid to change the formot for fear of losing the 15 caches i just put in......using the wrong format. What a PITA that was.
    Once again thanks to all that helped make this wonderful app.
    Did you know you can import LOC and GPX files so you do not need to enter the coordinates manually?
    03-02-09 04:00 PM
    Ah, I downloaded the program excited to use it, couldn't wait for the latest version that comes out in a couple of weeks. But when I went to move the icon thing on my screen and hit the button the icon disappeared. I believe the program is still on my Blackberry pearl but not sure how to get the icon thing back on my screen. I have not had my phone for very long and I am stumped.
    03-02-09 06:04 PM
    Ah, I downloaded the program excited to use it, couldn't wait for the latest version that comes out in a couple of weeks. But when I went to move the icon thing on my screen and hit the button the icon disappeared. I believe the program is still on my Blackberry pearl but not sure how to get the icon thing back on my screen. I have not had my phone for very long and I am stumped.
    You probably just hid it. Push the blackberry button and select "Show All". If it was just hidden, you should be able to see it now. Then you can select the icon and deselect the Hide.
    03-02-09 06:28 PM
    Did you know you can import LOC and GPX files so you do not need to enter the coordinates manually?
    Got it! just have to copy the text for the description. Such a sweet app.
    Last edited by kumplocke; 03-02-09 at 08:55 PM.
    03-02-09 07:12 PM
    LOL!!! I found it, it was in the documents on the go file. Not sure how I did that, I tried to repeat the feat, and was unable. But I am a Newbie... nothing is impossible
    03-03-09 06:24 PM
    I just got this installed. And am experiencing the following (possible) bugs:

1. while driving on the freeway, it said I was going over 500mph. That's obviously not correct.
    2. while at home standing still, it said my altitude was -16ft. But I go upstairs, and it said I'm at -170ft. I'm pretty sure my upstairs floor is now 150ft LOWER than my first floor. hehe. And I live close to the beach so altitude should be pretty close or slightly above 0.
    03-03-09 11:10 PM
    I just got this installed. And am experiencing the following (possible) bugs:

1. while driving on the freeway, it said I was going over 500mph. That's obviously not correct.
    2. while at home standing still, it said my altitude was -16ft. But I go upstairs, and it said I'm at -170ft. I'm pretty sure my upstairs floor is now 150ft LOWER than my first floor. hehe. And I live close to the beach so altitude should be pretty close or slightly above 0.
    Are you sure your speed wasn't 50.0? The speed has one decimal place and perhaps the decimal is hard to see on some bb models.

The negative altitude is an issue thst has been discussed before and has been determined to be an OS bug. At one point we discussed adding an option to multiply by -1 if desired, but I had forgotten all about it.

03-04-09 08:10 AM
    Are you sure your speed wasn't 50.0? The speed has one decimal place and perhaps the decimal is hard to see on some bb models.
    You are right. I have the 8900, and the text is TINY! Along with the compass. Is it hard to change the font? Or making font size a selectable option?

The negative altitude is an issue thst has been discussed before and has been determined to be an OS bug. At one point we discussed adding an option to multiply by -1 if desired, but I had forgotten all about it.
    Still doesn't explain the different of 150ft between floors. Im sure its not ur fault though. Is it simply a function call like GetCoordinates() that return long, lat, alt?
    Last edited by acerunner; 03-04-09 at 06:53 PM.
    03-04-09 06:46 PM
    You are right. I have the 8900, and the text is TINY! Along with the compass. Is it hard to change the font? Or making font size a selectable option?
    That is already set for the next release.

Still doesn't explain the different of 150ft between floors. Im sure its not ur fault though. Is it simply a function call like GetCoordinates() that return long, lat, alt?
    There is always talk about the horizontal accuracy of GPS units, but I have never heard any discussions about vertical accuracy so I don't know how the BB chipsets are rated.

But you are right, the GPS receiver does all the work, we just use the API to pull the information from it.
    03-05-09 06:43 AM
    Hey, all. I'm headed into the woods this morning with my Sprint BB Curve 8330. I have all of the waypoints saved into B* with the hopes that I can use my BB to navigate the trail. I'm pretty sure I will be way out of service so this will be a good test for me as far as if my GPS will work out of service. I'll let you know what happens!

PS don't worry, I have a map and compass, too!

03-05-09 09:11 AM
830 ... 2728293031 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD