Just spent the last five or six hours reading this entire thread. This app is great and is exactly what i was looking for to do so geocaching. I will try it out in the next couple of days.
    You read the WHOLE THREAD? Wow.

My only suggestion so far is to include the difficulty and terrain rating in the waypoint list. That way you do not have to go to each listing to see the ratings. This also will help to quickly detemine if the cache is wife and kid friendly. LOL

Again great app!!!!!!! Cant wait to try it out.
    The only downside of adding that to the list is that there is then less space for the waypoint name. Especially on the Pearl. I could use two lines for each cache, we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.
    02-14-09 11:15 AM
    ...Could you put in a snapshot copy function in that would simply copy the current data into the PAste buffer.
    GPSLogger comes with this option in it's latest release (0.4.4)...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...ffline-154310/
    02-14-09 02:39 PM
    Use the blackstar to find a cache today. It works great. I cant wait for the update that allows you to down load the caches to google maps. This would make it easier to drive to the general cache area or possibly download them to BB maps because the GPS does not work on google maps with a storm.

One thing i did notice was mentioned in previous threats is that the needle stopped working when you got to within 60 feet. I then just used the distance and lat/lang to find the cache. Tomorrow I will go look for another and bring my garmin etrex legend and directly compare the two.

Once again this is a great app. Keep up the great work!!! Will update with an etrex b* comparison.
    02-14-09 07:05 PM
    Well I found another cache today with the B*. I also had my garmin etrex to compare the two. Overall B* worked great and was very comparable to the garmin. However when you were within 40-60 feet the arrow just does not update fast enough compared to the garmin. However, the distance and coordinates updated fast and were comparable to the garmin. Using B* you find yourself close to the cache but not sure what direction to go. You have to pick one and watch the distance and see if it gets larger or small. But as I said when you are within 60 feet you switch to looking at the distance and coordinates instead of the arrow and B* will take you to the cache. When using B* I will just slightly change how I look for caches.

While using it I did find a bug in the software (storm only I am guessing). The arrow does not work/update on the storm in portrait view, only in landscape view.

Again this is a great app. Keep it up. I would definitely buy this if it was not free!!!
    02-15-09 01:09 PM
    OKAY!!! I found my first cache! (G) It was a mere (scant) two blocks from my house.

Now I need to find some spectacles.... I think it would help these old eyes (62) if the fonts were a bit bolder. I could barely make out the decimal point in the distance number. I do not use or need reading glasses but the font is very fine/wispy - but the application is also VERY FINE - thanks.
    02-16-09 03:21 PM
    Wow this app is perfect for what I need!! Great job!
    PS. I'm a graphic designer here in Montana, and if you'd like, I would be happy to come up with some nice vector graphics for the logo/compass/etc to make this program pop! It's got the great usability, and I think I could shine up the graphics a bit. Let me know, I'd love to try!
    02-17-09 06:50 PM
    I am a surveyor and I use the lat/long to utm conversion fairly regularly. If you need some help with this conversion I would be glad to assist.

It would be nice to be able to change the display from decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, seconds and to utm wgs84
    02-17-09 10:48 PM
    It seems like a program like B* would be a good candidate for development of the Storm-specific version that takes advantage of the large screen. It would allow for larger fonts, more data display, larger circle/arrow, etc...

Just an idea - not that I would have any clue how hard it would be to have separate versions for different phones.
    02-17-09 10:55 PM
    It seems like a program like B* would be a good candidate for development of the Storm-specific version that takes advantage of the large screen. It would allow for larger fonts, more data display, larger circle/arrow, etc...

Just an idea - not that I would have any clue how hard it would be to have separate versions for different phones.
    LOL you have been reading our minds lately. Paul is already planning out Storm specific screens as well as clean up the Storm issues that were identified. So it is coming...

Feel free to offer specifics of what you think a Storm screen should look like.
    02-17-09 11:46 PM
    I am a surveyor and I use the lat/long to utm conversion fairly regularly. If you need some help with this conversion I would be glad to assist.

It would be nice to be able to change the display from decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, seconds and to utm wgs84
    Thanks for the offer. I found a UTM conversion a while back when I worked on the MGRS format but I never tested it out. I'll need to revisit it and I might have you validate some conversions for me. Thanks
    02-17-09 11:48 PM
    Wow this app is perfect for what I need!! Great job!
    PS. I'm a graphic designer here in Montana, and if you'd like, I would be happy to come up with some nice vector graphics for the logo/compass/etc to make this program pop! It's got the great usability, and I think I could shine up the graphics a bit. Let me know, I'd love to try!
    That is exactly what we need. I would like to hear some specifics on what you envision for B*. Feel free to email me at [email protected].

This app is really becoming a community effort. That is so cool.
    02-17-09 11:58 PM
    Any possibility that an additional position format can be added?

It would be absolutely amazing if OSGB could be added.

Really hope this is possible.
    02-18-09 03:36 AM
    Any possibility that an additional position format can be added?

It would be absolutely amazing if OSGB could be added.

Really hope this is possible.
    Do you have any websites that detail conversion forumulas? I tried looking and found a little information, but not specifically conversion formula. Either from lat/lon to OSGB or even UTM to OSGB.
    02-18-09 08:32 AM
    Any ideas when we can expect the next version Cook. Ive been using B* like crazy geocaching. Its been great........
    02-18-09 10:56 AM
    Any ideas when we can expect the next version Cook. Ive been using B* like crazy geocaching. Its been great........
    Probably first week or two of March. If you are a geocacher, it will be worth the wait . I have a few more things I want to do B* first.
    02-18-09 11:06 AM
    I'm all over it! I'll work up some screenshots tonight and email them over to you!
    02-18-09 02:03 PM
    mine is coming up with this error when i start it up?

( uncaught exception push modal screen called by a non event thread )
    and i click okay and it exits
    02-18-09 07:38 PM
    mine is coming up with this error when i start it up?

( uncaught exception push modal screen called by a non event thread )
    and i click okay and it exits
    hmmm It is probably trying to display a popup in an inappropriate place. I had a few of those when I started off, but I though I had cleaned them all up. Are you getting that as soon as you open BlackStar, or is it after using it for a while?
    02-18-09 08:53 PM
    ya it is as soon as i open it
    02-18-09 09:26 PM
    Just to let everyone know that google maps just released a new verision so now the GPS works for the verizon storm. So you can down load the coordinates to google maps and drive to the location and then use B* to find it. Cant wait to do it.
    02-18-09 09:30 PM
    Just coming into the GPS forum right now and checking where the new messages are - I realized that the title/subject of this thread really does not do justice to what the application is now capable of doing.
    02-18-09 11:30 PM
    Do you have any websites that detail conversion forumulas? I tried looking and found a little information, but not specifically conversion formula. Either from lat/lon to OSGB or even UTM to OSGB.
    Forum won't let me post URLs because I am a forum newbie.

I will PM you some useful URLs.
    02-19-09 02:48 AM
    Forum won't let me post URLs because I am a forum newbie.

I will PM you some useful URLs.
    Also can't send PMs!!

cook46933, can you PM me an email address and I can send you some URLs?
    02-19-09 03:03 AM
    I will try to come up with something. The problem is the amount of available space. Sure there is plenty of space on the Storm, but we are fighting for space on the Pearl.

I may end up making the size customizeable just for the lat/lon so some users can hide it while others with more space can display it proudly. We'll see. I will try to have SOMETHING for it though.

Have you tried using the Pause menu item before you try to select the text? It will pause the coordinate update. I can look into your suggestion and see how the API handles such a request. But for now, the Pause should help you.

I thought there was a better work around for that using the Alt/Escape key combination. Does that work with the Storm? I know it works for my Curve.
    The way to make the app support several devices is to have a seperate profile for different phones. That way you can use a small font on the Pearl and a larger one on hi-res devices which, after all, are the future. You could make this manual or automatic.

The most common way to switch apps is to put the Switch Application choice on the menu. Simple.

Using Pause + Select will probably solve the problem forever but it is slower than just having a menu choice that copies the screen text to the Paste buffer.
    02-19-09 03:09 AM
    The way to make the app support several devices is to have a seperate profile for different phones. That way you can use a small font on the Pearl and a larger one on hi-res devices which, after all, are the future. You could make this manual or automatic.

The most common way to switch apps is to put the Switch Application choice on the menu. Simple.

Using Pause + Select will probably solve the problem forever but it is slower than just having a menu choice that copies the screen text to the Paste buffer.
    I was just trying to get you by until the next release. The Copy to the clipboard should not be any problem.

But I am not seeing anything documenting how to invoke the Switch Application dialog. In fact I am only seeing documentation saying 3rd party apps cannot do this. I will keep searching, but since you said it is simple I am hoping you know the code to do it.
    02-19-09 12:36 PM
830 ... 2526272829 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD