I have this program on a Storm and it works great. My only issue is that the screen where you enter a "new waypoint" is very difficult to use. The buttons for "N/S" and "E/W" are barely visible and hard to select. Also, the text keeps dissappearing on me while I'm trying to enter lat/lon numbers. If I scroll down, then back up, sometimes the text reappears, but sometimes only halfway. I have compatibility mode off.

Anything I can do to make this screen a little easier to use?

Thanks for all your hard work - I used this to find a geocache yesterday and held it alongside the Garmin I normally use and it was very close to the same. One question, when you get very close to a cache, will it switch to showing distance in feet? That's one thing I really like about the Garmin.
    The New Waypoint screen should default to your current location, so I wouldn't think you would need to change the N/S or E/W. But even so, I use a 8300 and it looks fine, so I did not realize it looked differently on the Storm. I will check it out on a Storm simulator and see if I can duplicate the scenario.

And yes, the distance switches to feet when within 0.1 miles, and switches to meters when < 1 km or so.

Thanks for the feedback
    02-09-09 01:17 PM
    Good point about the N/S and E/W, I shouldn't need to change those, except when I go directly to New Waypoint before sat lock, it defaults everything to zeros, then I didn't know if N and W were default. Probably better to just wait for sat lock before going to screen.

Let me know what the simulator shows. If it doesn't duplicate, then I may be able to send you some pics.
    02-09-09 01:45 PM
    If you can get hold of RIM's BlackBerry SDK (v 4.5 upwards), youl find a demo application which does exactly that.. displays your current lat, long, speed, elevation etc etc.. also allows you to save waypoints.
    02-09-09 02:07 PM
    Thanks Paul, this is great.

However could it possibly be updated to a larger font? I am finding it very hard to read when out in the boat in bright sunshine. If it could have a large display font, similar to a garmin eTrex for example, it would be that much more useful.

Cheers
    JohnO

Here we go guys all you need is the desktop manager to install the files .

any problem with the application or any more queries let me know and i ll see what i can do for u guys.

PS: 4x4 geek - i live in the UK so i might be difficult with the beer . But thanks for the offer anyway .

Paul
    02-09-09 02:53 PM
    I've attached some screen shots from the Storm showing the "Add Waypoint" issue. One just shows the main screen which works great. One shows the "Add Waypoint" screen when I first get to it. The third shows the screen after I turn on the keyboard, then scroll up and down.
    02-09-09 06:21 PM
    I downloaded the simulator and installed BlackStar on it and have some additional info. When the "Coordinate Format" in Options is set to "dd.ddddd", everything is fine. When it is set to "dd:dd.ddddd", I get "JVM Error 104 Uncaught: IllegalArgumentException" when I click on "New Waypoint". Unfornately, for me, I really like to use the "dd:dd.ddddd" format because that is the way everyone at geocaching.com gives coordinates (not just for the caches, but also in their descriptions of where to park, etc.)

Hope that helps.
    02-09-09 09:40 PM
    If you can get hold of RIM's BlackBerry SDK (v 4.5 upwards), youl find a demo application which does exactly that.. displays your current lat, long, speed, elevation etc etc.. also allows you to save waypoints.
    I searched for SDK for a while and can't figure out what it is. Is it something I can download? I would like to see that demo.
    02-09-09 09:53 PM
    This thread is getting downright huge, and I see questions being repeated. Maybe a website would help. I can slap a free one together and when its basic and functional, give you the login and pass, if ya want
    02-10-09 12:10 AM
    I downloaded the simulator and installed BlackStar on it and have some additional info. When the "Coordinate Format" in Options is set to "dd.ddddd", everything is fine. When it is set to "dd:dd.ddddd", I get "JVM Error 104 Uncaught: IllegalArgumentException" when I click on "New Waypoint". Unfornately, for me, I really like to use the "dd:dd.ddddd" format because that is the way everyone at geocaching.com gives coordinates (not just for the caches, but also in their descriptions of where to park, etc.)

Hope that helps.
    Yeah, I got the same error. Odd.
    02-10-09 11:07 AM
    This thread is getting downright huge, and I see questions being repeated. Maybe a website would help. I can slap a free one together and when its basic and functional, give you the login and pass, if ya want
    Thanks for the offer. We have someone else who volunteered to set one up.
    02-10-09 11:10 AM
    I searched for SDK for a while and can't figure out what it is. Is it something I can download? I would like to see that demo.
    Are you a Java developer? I assume you are referring to the Blackberry Java Development Environment (JDE). It comes with sample code.

Here is the link for the JDE page BlackBerry - Java Development Environment
    You will want JDE 4.7 for Storm simulation.
    02-10-09 11:20 AM
    No, I don't know Java other than my office Java tastes bad and Starbucks Java tastes good. I'm obviously in over my head at this point. I thought maybe SDK referred to some .jad program I could install by doing a quick Google search - See what I mean about being in over my head?
    02-10-09 11:44 AM
    In the next release, will you be increasing the size of the text that displays the Lat and Long + other text? On my 8900 theis text is so small as to be nearly unreadable.

A long time ago I asked Paul to provide a Cut and Copy function so that I could paste the co-ords into an email or text file. He did this but now when I use Select, the nubers jump around so fast that a Copy function is near impossible. Could you put in a snapshot copy function in that would simply copy the current data into the PAste buffer.

Lastly you really nee a Switch Application function on the menu. This will allow B* to be used with AutoStandby. I know that yo use a Convenience key for this but I use my Convenience keys for other things and thus have no way to prevent AutoStandby shutting down my phone when B* is running (I know about pressing the Mute/Standby button 3 times).
    02-10-09 12:17 PM
    In the next release, will you be increasing the size of the text that displays the Lat and Long + other text? On my 8900 theis text is so small as to be nearly unreadable.
    I will try to come up with something. The problem is the amount of available space. Sure there is plenty of space on the Storm, but we are fighting for space on the Pearl.

I may end up making the size customizeable just for the lat/lon so some users can hide it while others with more space can display it proudly. We'll see. I will try to have SOMETHING for it though.

A long time ago I asked Paul to provide a Cut and Copy function so that I could paste the co-ords into an email or text file. He did this but now when I use Select, the nubers jump around so fast that a Copy function is near impossible. Could you put in a snapshot copy function in that would simply copy the current data into the PAste buffer.
    Have you tried using the Pause menu item before you try to select the text? It will pause the coordinate update. I can look into your suggestion and see how the API handles such a request. But for now, the Pause should help you.

Lastly you really nee a Switch Application function on the menu. This will allow B* to be used with AutoStandby. I know that yo use a Convenience key for this but I use my Convenience keys for other things and thus have no way to prevent AutoStandby shutting down my phone when B* is running (I know about pressing the Mute/Standby button 3 times).
    I thought there was a better work around for that using the Alt/Escape key combination. Does that work with the Storm? I know it works for my Curve.
    02-10-09 12:37 PM
    I used B* yesterday to find my first three caches. It worked great. On one it said I was 1 foot from the destination and the other two were at 3 feet, and on all three i was only a few steps from the caches. It was awesome and got me hooked on geocaching. Great app.

One thing I had a question on was is it possible to an extra conversion to convert to x,y coordinates. Not sure they work, all I know is the maps I use at work are in x,y.
    02-10-09 03:12 PM
    I used B* yesterday to find my first three caches. It worked great. On one it said I was 1 foot from the destination and the other two were at 3 feet, and on all three i was only a few steps from the caches. It was awesome and got me hooked on geocaching. Great app.

One thing I had a question on was is it possible to an extra conversion to convert to x,y coordinates. Not sure they work, all I know is the maps I use at work are in x,y.
    Yay, another geocaching recruit! Welcome to the obsession.

I don't understand what you are referring to with an x,y map coordinate system. If you have a website that explains it, I can see what can be done.
    02-11-09 07:29 AM
    Yay, another geocaching recruit! Welcome to the obsession.

I don't understand what you are referring to with an x,y map coordinate system. If you have a website that explains it, I can see what can be done.
    I don't know if this is what he means, but in Search and Rescue, we exclusively use the UTM NAD27 CONUS coordinate system (instead of Lat Lon). It uses Northing/Easting cooridinates that are standard on USGS maps and is more like an x,y type system than Lat/Lon. Another popular UTM datum is WGS84 which is the datum used by geocaching.com. Here's a decent explanation.

http: // rockyweb.cr.usgs.gov/outreach/gps/gps_questions_and_answers.html

If you could add a menu item that would allow users to select their datum, that would make BlackStar more like a standard hiking GPS. The only problem is that there are about a hundred different datums for different parts of the world.
    02-11-09 10:18 PM
    I don't know if this is what he means, but in Search and Rescue, we exclusively use the UTM NAD27 CONUS coordinate system (instead of Lat Lon). It uses Northing/Easting cooridinates that are standard on USGS maps and is more like an x,y type system than Lat/Lon. Another popular UTM datum is WGS84 which is the datum used by geocaching.com. Here's a decent explanation.

If you could add a menu item that would allow users to select their datum, that would make BlackStar more like a standard hiking GPS. The only problem is that there are about a hundred different datums for different parts of the world.
    We do have MGRS which is a military version of UTM. I am not sure how closely they are related.
    02-12-09 07:50 AM
    I decided to join the Geocache site supported by BlackStar (sorry, BS just did not look right!). But now the questions....

It found caches near me but how does one transfer that data to BS? Does it happen in some automatic capture/cut/paste manner or do I have to manually grab the coordinates and move them to BS?

I guess what I'm really asking, is there a DOC/Manual that explains features and how to use them?

Thanks in advance
    02-12-09 08:54 AM
    I decided to join the Geocache site supported by BlackStar (sorry, BS just did not look right!). But now the questions....

It found caches near me but how does one transfer that data to BS? Does it happen in some automatic capture/cut/paste manner or do I have to manually grab the coordinates and move them to BS?

I guess what I'm really asking, is there a DOC/Manual that explains features and how to use them?

Thanks in advance
    I agree with the BS abbreviation, that is why B* seems to have caught on better

Just for the record, we are not affiliated with Groundspeak which owns geocaching.com.

There are two levels of geocaching membership: Basic(free) and Premium(approx $3/mo). With the premium membership, you can create what they call Pocket Queries which allow you to extract the caches in GPX files. the GPX files will contain all the cache information. With the basic membership, you can only download LOC files which contain very basic information: lat/lon cache name, cache title.

B* will import both GPX and LOC files. But as a reminder, current version has problems with large GPX files, I recommend GPX files not exceed 20 caches. The next release will fix this. To import a file it must be stored on your sd card. Go to List Waypoints, then Import LOC/GPX file.

If you want to use the Closest 20 Caches menu item in B*, this will bring up geocaching.com in the browser passing it your current lat/lon. Provided you are already logged into geocaching.com on your phone with the Remember Me box checked, then you can go to the bottom of the screen, click the Check all Button, then the download button. You will then be prompted to save a file to your sd card, it will be named nearest.aspx, RENAME it to end with .loc. Then you can import that file using the above method.

Hopefully this helps. One of these days we will get around to documenting this more formally. But I wouldn't hold my breath
    02-12-09 10:03 AM
    We do have MGRS which is a military version of UTM. I am not sure how closely they are related.
    Here are the equations to do the conversion, if you decide to add:

dbludbludbludot uwgb.edu/dutchs/UsefulData/UTMFormulas.htm
    02-12-09 11:16 AM

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I get my xy coordinates from Arcview GIS. I tried viewing the web page listed but it wouldnt load. Ill go find a web page that better explains this.
    02-12-09 06:59 PM
    Ok here is the web page I use to convert my lat long to xy when im sitting at my desk, which is never.

Coordinate Conversions

And here is the wiki page for the explanation. Its all greek to me, so I hope it helps.

Cartesian coordinate system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    02-12-09 07:18 PM
    Ok here is the web page I use to convert my lat long to xy when im sitting at my desk, which is never.

And here is the wiki page for the explanation. Its all greek to me, so I hope it helps.
    Ok, I see what you mean. The x,y system on that first web site you posted is basically a UTM system with a user-defined origin. The UTM system they use on that site is WGS84, the same one used by geocaching.com. As far as a cartesian coordinate system, the UTM datum would qualify because the idea for it is that if you put a small enough box onto a big enough spherical object (the globe), you can fairly accurately determine horizontal position within that box using the assumption that it is flat and square which allows you to use x,y coordinates.

Also, the reason you couldn't open the web site in my previous post is that I don't have 10 posts yet so can't post web links so I have to add spaces to the link to get the forum to accept it. You have to remove the spaces after you copy/paste into the web browser.
    02-12-09 07:49 PM
    Just spent the last five or six hours reading this entire thread. This app is great and is exactly what i was looking for to do so geocaching. I will try it out in the next couple of days.

My only suggestion so far is to include the difficulty and terrain rating in the waypoint list. That way you do not have to go to each listing to see the ratings. This also will help to quickly detemine if the cache is wife and kid friendly. LOL

Again great app!!!!!!! Cant wait to try it out.
    02-13-09 11:33 PM
830 ... 2425262728 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD