Wow what an interesting program. I struggled a bit with downloading the waypoints since I couldn't get the Check All and Download buttons to work. But they did once out of maybe 10 times ( I was stunned when the Check all finally turned to Uncheck all) and I was able to import the file without a problem. This will make my walks with Wasabi even more exciting!

Thanks for your work!
    01-20-09 06:01 PM
    after some logs now I recognized that the kompass seems to work in landscape mode only on my storm. could that be true? I wondered some times, that the compass does not spin, moved to landscape and the damned thing rotates to the right direction?!
    But I�m still loving this app anyway
    01-26-09 04:53 PM
    Which OS are you using? I think pre- 4.5 versions had issues with changing file extensions.

As far as the communication error goes, that is a new one. What is the URL it is trying to open? You should be able to get that using the Page Address menu item. Did you try a Refresh when it gives you the error?
    I am using a pre 4.5 OS, my service provider hasn't provided an update for my model yet.

The 20 closest caches option has worked off and on recently - it works if I go to cache details and go to cache url and open a specific cache details then go back to blackstar and select the closest 20 caches option, however I can't save the caches and use them until I get the OS update anyway!

Thanks for the reply, I'll see how it works after I get my os updated.
    01-27-09 01:36 PM
    I am using this program with the storm... 9530 os .99 verizon
    I have found many caches with the BB. I do get the same problem with the browser and the check all button. I know its a browser problem not Blackstar. Any out there know a way to get around this bug.. Please let me know.

Awesome program guys!!!!! Thanks a ton!
    Last edited by nixon7606; 02-07-09 at 10:02 AM.
    01-27-09 11:22 PM
    I am using this program with the storm... 9530 os .90 verizon
    I have found many caches with the BB. I do get the same problem with the browser and the check all button. I know its a browser problem not Blackstar. Any out there know a way to get around this bug.. Please let me know.

Awesome program guys!!!!! Thanks a ton!
    I went into the browser options and then Browser Configuration make sure the Support JavaScript is checked. After I did this I thought I was better able to make the buttons work. Also zooming into the button to give a bigger surface to touch helps.

BTW I found my first two caches using Black Star this weekend. Yeah!
    01-29-09 08:42 PM
    Averaging GPS co-ords only really works well over a 24hr period or at least one GPS orbit which is just a shade under 12 hours.
    I understand this - but in reality with poor sky visibilty at a lot of cache hides (trees etc), I've found that there's a lot of coordinate 'bounce'. Using Beeline gps, I found that using averaging for anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes at a hide (depending on how stealthy I needed to be) gave me far better coordinates. There's always that chance when you are under cover that the reading you have when you hit the new waypoint will be the one that's 100 feet off cause of some random signal reflection.\

Thanks for the link!
    01-31-09 01:02 AM
    I am using a pre 4.5 OS, my service provider hasn't provided an update for my model yet.
    I'm on a pre-4.5 OS too - and Telecom NZ have been promising forever that it's in development - though I'm not sure I believe they will ever release it. (long story - but TelecomNZ have a history of removing the most useful features from phones - so no GPS in our 8830s - and not even MMS messaging in ANY smartphone!)

How hard would it be to allow B* to load LOC files that have an ASPX extension - then us ppl stuck in the dark ages (or the a** end of the earth) would be able to enjoy all that wireless caching goodness
    01-31-09 01:06 AM
    I'm on a pre-4.5 OS too - and Telecom NZ have been promising forever that it's in development - though I'm not sure I believe they will ever release it. (long story - but TelecomNZ have a history of removing the most useful features from phones - so no GPS in our 8830s - and not even MMS messaging in ANY smartphone!)
    You do know you can load another carrier's OS right? just use crackmem to delete the cruft and make sure you remove the vendor.xml file or the phone will be bricked
    01-31-09 01:39 AM
    How hard would it be to allow B* to load LOC files that have an ASPX extension - then us ppl stuck in the dark ages (or the a** end of the earth) would be able to enjoy all that wireless caching goodness
    Not hard at all. I will try to include it in the next release. Right now I am in the middle of making some new changes, so hopefully it won't be real long before we get a new release out there.

But until then... I don't remember where I got it from, but there was a File Manager-type app that I had on my BB that allowed you to change filenames for files on you sd card. It allowed you to change the extension too. With 4.5, the explorer in the Media app allows you to change the extension, but pre-4.5 did not.

I agree other carriers 4.5 should work, I just know I was never brave enough to do it. I waited for my carrier. I live and breathe by my BB. But 4.5 was a big improvement in my opinion.
    01-31-09 09:19 AM
    2) "Log Cache" menu item. launch the browser to the cache log find page.
    I have been looking at this one. I know gc.com had this backdoor to allow you to go directly into the log page using the GC number. But that has been closed up now. It seems like it might still work with the id instead. But the id is only available in the GPX file, not LOC.
    02-02-09 10:06 AM
    I have been looking at this one. I know gc.com had this backdoor to allow you to go directly into the log page using the GC number. But that has been closed up now. It seems like it might still work with the id instead. But the id is only available in the GPX file, not LOC.
    Id say that half way there is better than nothing at all. Do that search to see if the id field is filled, and if so, have it link that puppy! if not, have that menu link to the cache page?
    02-02-09 10:17 PM
    I agree other carriers 4.5 should work, I just know I was never brave enough to do it. I waited for my carrier. I live and breathe by my BB. But 4.5 was a big improvement in my opinion.
    Worked for me on the 8310 I was using at the time... Vodafone had 4.2, but 4.5 was out.
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 02-02-09 at 10:59 PM.
    02-02-09 10:46 PM
    Hey please excuse the ignorance.
    I lost track of where the application is stored and didn't have time to search back through the posts.
    What is the latest version?
    Thanks for the help
    02-06-09 11:25 AM
    Hey please excuse the ignorance.
    I lost track of where the application is stored and didn't have time to search back through the posts.
    What is the latest version?
    Thanks for the help
    I added the link to my signature.
    02-06-09 11:35 AM
    New Storm owner here. I came across this thread and noticed it was 41 pages long. I dont have the time to browse all 41. I was curious if there was an application amongst this thread that used the Storms GPS for navigation and such. besides the BB maps. I like the interface of Google maps but I would like more accurate locations and the possibility to see the coordinates and such...

Thnx in advance for any help given.
    02-06-09 02:33 PM
    New Storm owner here. I came across this thread and noticed it was 41 pages long. I dont have the time to browse all 41. I was curious if there was an application amongst this thread that used the Storms GPS for navigation and such. besides the BB maps. I like the interface of Google maps but I would like more accurate locations and the possibility to see the coordinates and such...

Thnx in advance for any help given.
    BlackStar does not do turn by turn navigation and it does not find wayoints based on an address. What it does do is display latitude and longitude and record waypoints. It will do straight line navigation like a hand held GPS receiver.

The OTA link is in my signature.
    02-06-09 02:56 PM
    I really like this app, but when I am standing still the compass moves around. Is this normal?
    Last edited by hawkway; 02-07-09 at 12:30 PM.
    02-07-09 12:15 PM
    I really like this app, but when I am standing still the compass moves around. Is this normal?
    The GPS will usually have a 10-20 ft error radius. So each reading will be a little bit different. The direction is based on the change between two gps locations. This will cause the compass to dance around.
    02-07-09 05:44 PM
    hey i read like 20 pages on this b* i didnt see anything if you need a data plan like with the maps i cant afford a extra 10 bucks a month just to have the maps from telus but i do love the app that paul & cook have come up with thanx for all your hard work on a very cool app
    Last edited by braveops; 02-08-09 at 05:35 PM.
    02-08-09 12:59 PM
    hey i read like 20 pages on this b* i didnt see anything if you need a data plan like with the maps i cant afford a extra 10 bucks a month just to have the maps from telus but i do love the app that paul & cook have come up with thanx for all your hard work on a very cool app
    There are no maps with BlackStar. The basic functionality of B* does not use an internet connection.

But there are a couple of features that will open a browser and access the internet. These features are "Closest 20 caches" (for geocaching) and the "Current Weather" menu items.

The next release will allow the user to send a waypoint to BB maps and Google Maps. Those will also use a data connection.

Perhaps I will put in an Option to disable all internet dependent functions. That would prevent users with no or limited data plans from inadvertently having data charges.
    02-08-09 01:15 PM
    The next release will allow the user to send a waypoint to BB maps and Google Maps. Those will also use a data connection.
    That will be really hot! That makes this app fantastic! Can you imagine when the new version will be out?

Thx a lot for your effort
    02-08-09 02:43 PM
    There are no maps with BlackStar. The basic functionality of B* does not use an internet connection.

But there are a couple of features that will open a browser and access the internet. These features are "Closest 20 caches" (for geocaching) and the "Current Weather" menu items.

Perhaps I will put in an Option to disable all internet dependent functions. That would prevent users with no or limited data plans from inadvertently having data charges.
    thats cool if i can use it without the internet connection.can i close the the functions so i dont hit the net.will the speedo work without the net? do you have a read me so one could see what will work with and without the net?

thanx guys keep up the GREAT JOB
    02-08-09 05:22 PM
    i just spent the last three hours or so reading this thread and am now loading it on my storm. I have never been caching before but will go out for the first time to give it a try this weekend, using B* of course.

I noticed a lot of discussion at the beginning of this thread about the accuracy and it has seemed to tail off. From many years in the military doing land nav i can say your accuracy changes with the number of satellites your GPS unit is tracking, hinse the more satellites the better the accuracy. Just some food for thought.

Great app guys.....
    02-08-09 11:21 PM
    That will be really hot! That makes this app fantastic! Can you imagine when the new version will be out?

Thx a lot for your effort
    Probably first part of March. Stay tuned
    02-09-09 12:31 AM
    I have this program on a Storm and it works great. My only issue is that the screen where you enter a "new waypoint" is very difficult to use. The buttons for "N/S" and "E/W" are barely visible and hard to select. Also, the text keeps dissappearing on me while I'm trying to enter lat/lon numbers. If I scroll down, then back up, sometimes the text reappears, but sometimes only halfway. I have compatibility mode off.

Anything I can do to make this screen a little easier to use?

Thanks for all your hard work - I used this to find a geocache yesterday and held it alongside the Garmin I normally use and it was very close to the same. One question, when you get very close to a cache, will it switch to showing distance in feet? That's one thing I really like about the Garmin.
    02-09-09 12:57 PM
830 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD