I spend a lot of time out of cell coverage and could use a backup to my other GPS solutions. It would be nice to find an app that shows the basics: Lat/Long, direction and speed of travel, and altitude. I've been looking around but thought I'd go to the experts. Remember I'll be out of cell range so no data usage is key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-08 04:38 PM
    hi,

are you still after an application like this? Well i can write an application which displays it an writes it to an txt file on your SDcard if you want. I have been working on more complex program which will be released but i can write a simple app for you if you want. Just let me know an exactly what you need it for like a little list of spec and requirements and i get it done for you in like an 3h.
    02-29-08 05:23 AM
    I sure am!
    What I'd love to see:
    Continuous Latitude/Longitude display
    Direction of travel in degrees
    Speed of travel, choice of mph or knots would be nice but I can manage the conversion
    Altitude would also be nice but not necessary
    I'd be using this in conjunction with paper maps for backpacking, Offroad driving, and boating. Mainly as a backup to standalone GPS so what you're describing sounds great!
    02-29-08 06:53 AM
    oki can do that for you but the application is not used for any commercial use. Ok i ll build the application for you tonight and will send you the alx and cod file via email . ok?
    02-29-08 07:22 AM
    nope, no commercial usage.
    Next time I'm in Maine I'll be sure and buy you beers!
    02-29-08 07:30 AM
    I am a student pilot using 8100. If possible can u gift me anything like this. I'll be obliged

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-29-08 07:40 AM
    Here we go guys all you need is the desktop manager to install the files .

the code file : CrackBerryProject.cod
    the alx file: CrackBerryProject.alx

any problem with the application or any more queries let me know and i ll see what i can do for u guys.

PS: 4x4 geek - i live in the UK so i might be difficult with the beer . But thanks for the offer anyway .

Paul
    Last edited by paul.haenel; 03-01-08 at 11:35 AM.
    03-01-08 11:33 AM
    As I thought it doesn't work with Verizon -
    03-01-08 12:57 PM
    how come ? does it through an error? because it has nothing to do with you carrier the application .
    03-02-08 12:02 PM
    VZN has the GPS data feed locked out. So aps writers can't utilize the data even though the BB unit has the GPS chip(s) in it.

gb
    GolfTraxx

how come ? does it through an error? because it has nothing to do with you carrier the application .
    03-02-08 12:06 PM
    VZN has the GPS data feed locked out. So aps writers can't utilize the data even though the BB unit has the GPS chip(s) in it.

gb
    GolfTraxx
    Hopefully someone can get around this, really thinking about switching if I can convince my company to let me.
    03-02-08 12:16 PM
    Thanks for the files. I've been away for a few days so just noticed it. I'll give it a test run while I'm at work tomorrow to get the hang of using it.
    Sorry about the misunderstanding on your location, saw Bangor and thought Maine. You being in the UK just means I'll have to wait longer to buy you better beer.
    03-03-08 10:32 PM
    Here we go guys all you need is the desktop manager to install the files .

the code file : CrackBerryProject.cod
    the alx file: CrackBerryProject.alx

any problem with the application or any more queries let me know and i ll see what i can do for u guys.

PS: 4x4 geek - i live in the UK so i might be difficult with the beer . But thanks for the offer anyway .

Paul
    I took the app for a test spin around my yard yesterday afternoon. It's impressive. Since I live right near the Sierra Nevada mountains, This little app will really come in handy when hiking this summer. Thanks!
    03-04-08 05:53 AM
    I took the app for a test spin around my yard yesterday afternoon. It's impressive. Since I live right near the Sierra Nevada mountains, This little app will really come in handy when hiking this summer. Thanks!
    you might be even interested in Sanoodi. There are going to release a new site and new application for BB and windows mobile soon .
    03-04-08 12:58 PM
    On the same subject, do the internal GPS chips in the 8330 series obtain accuracy less than 10 yards?
    05-13-08 08:54 PM
    I bought my Curve today just for the GPS capabilty. I was dissapointed that it did not show the lat and long quickly.
    This app is great! Thanks. No commercial use! Mapping golf courses!

Joe
    05-14-08 03:09 AM
    That's a nifty app, Paul! (Hope it's ok that I downloaded it!!!)

I've been searching the internet, including CB, looking for an app that would display a digital compass using GPS data (no data plan).

Is that even possible? If so, would you care to try your able hands at it???

Forgot to mention: not for commercial use...live on a large tract of land and will use at home.
    Last edited by PerfectLawMinistries; 05-14-08 at 12:49 PM. Reason: forgot to mention...
    05-14-08 12:42 PM
    Does the link to the .alx still work? when I click it it opens nother page and doesnt let me save the file.
    05-19-08 11:22 AM
    Paul,

What a brilliant tool you have written. With only a tiny extra feature it can answer the age old question WTFRU? The feature needed is Copy.

Would it be possible to use the Menu key to have a menu option that would, when selected, Copy the top five lines so that they could be Pasted into an email or SMS message thus answering the above question to those enquiring?

I am prepared to send you $5 via PayPal because I think that this app is well worth it.

Cheers - Pete
    05-19-08 12:04 PM
    I have to be doing something wrong. Refresh my GPS, open program but the fields never populate. I've tried this in several locations and all I have are the field names. What am I missing?
    05-19-08 10:12 PM
    Before it would work I had to go to Options, Advanced Options, GPS hit menu Refresh GPS ....wait... before it would work.

Now it's fine.

I am not able to use it as a compass though i.e. rotating it to try and mke the Direction number read 360 / 0 only works if you are moving i.e. you have a direction. I guess that this is normal.
    05-20-08 01:27 AM
    Yeah, I did all that, the refreshing thing. Got my position within three meters and still nothing populates.

I'm going to uninstall it, pull the battery pull, reload, pull battery again and then try it again. Maybe something went gimpy in the first install.

Or not. I just realized it's almost 3am on the East Coast. Why am I still up?
    05-20-08 01:47 AM
    Have you guys looked at bbTracker? It might be of interest to you. It can record/plot your routes and export them to your phone's memory in kml or gpx format, where you can then import into Google Maps, BIMActive.com, etc. Very neat little program.

Typing bbTracker into google will net you the link in the first result and you can view screenshots of the program in action.
    05-20-08 08:33 AM
    Hi all and pete,

I have updated the current version (now v1.1) which it gives the user the opportunity to copy and select the current coordinates and paste them into a sms or email as requested from pete6. You will find that there are two new menu option's called "pause" and "continue". So if you want to copy the current location just select "pause" from the menu and select what you want. If you want the program to continue gathering way points please select "continue" again and it will keep recording.

Anymore idea's or features anyone would like to have added to the application please let me know and i ll try to do so.

Paul

PS: Sorry i haven't been much responsive the last few month but i have been very busy lately.
    05-21-08 11:37 AM
    Oh wow, I'm gonna check this out!

Does this app let you save coordinates on your phone for future use (not necessarily reference).
    05-22-08 09:51 AM
830 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD