ok sorry i have only read about the last 5 - 10 pages so sorry if this has been asnwered but....

one person asked if it worked on the storm and someone replied it should but requires extra steps. but i didnt see any 100% confirmation blackstar runs on the storm.

if it does, does it run on the verizon storm. i read some posts in this thread about the gps being unlocked for bb maps only?

thing is, i think peopel were saying they had the gps work in apps other than bb maps.

also, if the device has a gps chip built in, why would you need to verizons location server with a username/password to get this info inside your application (for the developer)??? wuldnt you just access it from the chip in the device using BB apis?

or does the storm not have a full internal gps and requires verizon's location servers?

also can someone point me to a page or post or site that explains blackstar with screenshots if possible oto.?

I can't answer all your concerns, but I can answer some.

I have a Storm on Verizon and B* works great. I loaded it and it worked very nicely. However, if you have an issue with the keyboard always up, somewhere in this post it tell you to go to options, advanced options, Applications... look for BlackStar and hit the combatibility-something or other.

I have used this for 5 caches and to mark my parking spot at the mall during xmas shopping just to poke some fun at my friend who has an iPhone and is ALWAYS losing his car in parking lots. ("Hey, check it out... we're 4.1 meters from the car. Oops, wait, 2.1 meters. No, 1.9....")

As for screen shots, there isn't alot to the app in terms of graphical interfacing. Don't get me wrong. This is a powerful piece of programming, and I tip my hat to everyone who has worked on this... ( I think you guys could win the Vodaphone compitition hands down if it weren't for the fact that they would prolly have you turn over rights to them if you submitted)

It's pretty dang self explaining as you go. Just sit down with it for about 20 minutes and you will have the basics down.

First thing I do when I wake up is turn off bedside mode, run B* and check the weather. Then roll over for 10 minutes until my wife's alarm goes off.

George
    Last edited by deckroid; 01-03-09 at 02:15 AM.
    01-03-09 02:13 AM
    Wow! It doesn't really bother me but that must be a real PITA in a cache dense area!
    Not only that, but it also causes more overhead for the app when there are more waypoints. Main problem is the list waypoints page where it must load all waypoints and calculate the distance to each. Put a couple hundred waypoints in and it will dog a little.

The app is not scaled for large volumes.
    01-03-09 12:54 PM
    Newbie problem: I have downloaded Blackstar v. 1.3.3 from the OTA link. I have a 8300 curve and i am using a freedom 2000 GPS keychain. While I can get google maps and other apps to use the GPS, Blackstar will not search for satellites and gives me this when I exit: "Uncaught Exception: Cannot access GPS: the application requires authorization from your wireless service provider to access the GPS functionality."

My provider is At&T. I am running OS v.2.2.166 which AT&T says is the most current one for my phone.

any suggestions? I really want to use this geocaching.
    I am not on AT&T, but I use an 8300 and a Freedom 200 keychain. Do you get the blinking blue led on your phone when it gives you this error? Does your gps work with other apps like BB Maps and Google Maps?

If you go into phone options (not BlackStar options), go to advanced then GPS, what options are selected for GPS datasource and GPS services? If you click Refresh GPS from the menu, does it return your location?
    01-03-09 01:04 PM
    I am not on AT&T, but I use an 8300 and a Freedom 200 keychain. Do you get the blinking blue led on your phone when it gives you this error? Does your gps work with other apps like BB Maps and Google Maps?

If you go into phone options (not BlackStar options), go to advanced then GPS, what options are selected for GPS datasource and GPS services? If you click Refresh GPS from the menu, does it return your location?

I get the blinking blue light and the GPS works with google maps, without any problems. I get no blue light when I try Blackstar.

Under options - advanced options - GPS, I have Keychain GPS 2000 selected for data source. I have no "GPS Services" listing. When I hit menu, i get no "refresh GPS" option. Am I missing something??
    01-03-09 02:42 PM
    I get the blinking blue light and the GPS works with google maps, without any problems. I get no blue light when I try Blackstar.

Under options - advanced options - GPS, I have Keychain GPS 2000 selected for data source. I have no "GPS Services" listing. When I hit menu, i get no "refresh GPS" option. Am I missing something??
    Is this by any chance an unlocked phone from another carrier? Or is it possible you have an 8310 OS loaded on your 8300?

The reason I am asking is that the 8300 OS should know that there is no internal GPS. But it sounds like it is trying to connect to an internal gps service.
    01-04-09 12:02 AM
    i downloaded blackstar the other day, today was the first time i have played with it
    it works exactly as advertised
    Thanks
    01-04-09 07:12 PM
    Used B* for the first time last week - I used to Geocache on a windows mobile device and this is my first attempt through the BB

The software I used on the WinMobile was BeeLine GPS - and whilst I realise B* is a very early (yet very promising looking!) utility - maybe there are a few enhancements that could be drawn from looking at the toolset supplied with Beeline....

The ones that I would offer suggestions for ......

* Could really do with GPS / Satellite status (how many sats are locked etc)
    * for placing caches (placed a cache with B* on New Years Day) - could REALLY use an Averaging feature to get a more accurate coordinate.

Configurable panels are also really useful in Beeline - I would have normally used a 'dashboard' type display when far awaw, and then to a compass when up close ..

have a look at Beeline's screenshots for some ideas : www (dot) visualgps (dot) net/BeeLineGPS/screen_shots (dot) htm

Overall - looks promising - I'll keep you posted how I get on with it!!!!!
    01-04-09 11:10 PM
    Used B* for the first time last week - I used to Geocache on a windows mobile device and this is my first attempt through the BB

The software I used on the WinMobile was BeeLine GPS - and whilst I realise B* is a very early (yet very promising looking!) utility - maybe there are a few enhancements that could be drawn from looking at the toolset supplied with Beeline....

The ones that I would offer suggestions for ......

* Could really do with GPS / Satellite status (how many sats are locked etc)
    * for placing caches (placed a cache with B* on New Years Day) - could REALLY use an Averaging feature to get a more accurate coordinate.

Configurable panels are also really useful in Beeline - I would have normally used a 'dashboard' type display when far awaw, and then to a compass when up close ..

have a look at Beeline's screenshots for some ideas : www (dot) visualgps (dot) net/BeeLineGPS/screen_shots (dot) htm

Overall - looks promising - I'll keep you posted how I get on with it!!!!!
    Thanks for the feedback and link to BeeLine. That software definitely has some nice feature ideas.
    01-05-09 08:15 AM
    could REALLY use an Averaging feature to get a more accurate coordinate.
    Averaging GPS co-ords only really works well over a 24hr period or at least one GPS orbit which is just a shade under 12 hours. There is a whole lot of useful info on Geocaching Australia - Free and Open Geocaching (also has sections for NZ or something, not sure of the arrangement but the NZ ones donated money to them) about GPS and averaging in the forums.
    01-05-09 08:47 AM
    Is this by any chance an unlocked phone from another carrier? Or is it possible you have an 8310 OS loaded on your 8300?

The reason I am asking is that the 8300 OS should know that there is no internal GPS. But it sounds like it is trying to connect to an internal gps service.
    I do not know. I will say that this is a phone I recieved from work, so the system administrator could have done something to it.
    01-05-09 11:09 AM
    I do not know. I will say that this is a phone I recieved from work, so the system administrator could have done something to it.
    Yeah, that throws a whole new level of uncertainty into it. But still, being a bluetooth GPS, I wouldn't think it would be a problem with any security profile.
    01-05-09 11:31 AM
    Yeah, that throws a whole new level of uncertainty into it. But still, being a bluetooth GPS, I wouldn't think it would be a problem with any security profile.
    Disabling BT is one of the security options I believe, or at least limiting the types of pairing that can occur.
    01-05-09 11:37 AM
    Disabling BT is one of the security options I believe, or at least limiting the types of pairing that can occur.
    He did say the BT puck worked with BB Maps. BB Maps probably provided the necessary credentials. Bummer.

I would ask the IT department about it. They may open it up for you, provided they allow personal use apps. It is a stretch though since B* would not be a known app to them and they probably would not trust it.

If they provide PDE settings, the current version of B* would not support it. But we could add it in the future if it is needed.
    01-05-09 11:57 AM
    I just want to let you know that I downloaded your app and installed it on my Storm 9530. It works great. I compare the coordinates it gave compared to my Garmin GPS60 and they were very close though not exactly the same.
    I am an avid geocacher (litehaus on geocaching.com) and am excited about the possibility of always having a geocaching capable device with me that I can see what caches are around. I only played with the app a little but saw that I could get the 20 closest caches. I tried to download a GPX but wasn't sure how to get it into the app to use. I read through most of the thread but not all of it so I might have missed it. Is there documentation somewhere?
    I really like the app. Thanks for developing it.
    01-09-09 07:42 AM
    I just want to let you know that I downloaded your app and installed it on my Storm 9530. It works great. I compare the coordinates it gave compared to my Garmin GPS60 and they were very close though not exactly the same.
    I am an avid geocacher (litehaus on geocaching.com) and am excited about the possibility of always having a geocaching capable device with me that I can see what caches are around. I only played with the app a little but saw that I could get the 20 closest caches. I tried to download a GPX but wasn't sure how to get it into the app to use. I read through most of the thread but not all of it so I might have missed it. Is there documentation somewhere?
    I really like the app. Thanks for developing it.
    Unfortunately, we still do not have any formal documentation.

To upload a gpx or loc file it must first be stored on your sd card. Go to the List Waypoints screen, then select the Import GPX/LOC File menu item. navigate through your file system then select the file. It currently does not give you notification that it is importing, it just freezes until it is done, then gives you a confirmation popup. The import is currently experiencing problems with gpx files with more than 20 waypoints.

If you are referring to the "closest 20 waypoints" menu item, that is a little different. That will bring you to geocaching.com with your current location as your search parameters. At the bottom of the screen, click the Check All, then Download Waypoints button (you must be logged into geocaching.com to see the buttons. It will ask you to save the file, click Yes. Then it will prompt you for the filename. It will show as nearest.aspx, change the filename to end with .loc. Then import that file into BlackStar and go geocaching.

Have fun! I have found many geocaches with B*, hopefully you do too.
    01-09-09 09:06 AM
    Cook,

Thanks for the info. The GPX load worked (of course!).

I notice on the touch screen Storm that the movement between menu items such as moving between Yes and No is difficult because a minor scroll has a drastic movement of the focus. Example: to end the app, I have to work hard at getting the focus on Yes. If I try to scroll up to Yes the focus goes somewhere way up on the page. I have to come back down to No then move just a very small amount.
    01-09-09 02:17 PM
    Every cache I have found so far since Nov 08 has been with B*. I love this program. Got some more feature ideas for you:

1) Filter html out of the cache descriptions <- parsing html is always fun!
    2) "Log Cache" menu item. launch the browser to the cache log find page.
    3) A long list of caches makes me have to delete caches I have found, which is kinda backwards. What about having B* edit the gpx files with a "found" tag? one byte tag 1 or 0 to make B* show a smiley face on the cache list that way if I load another list, it keeps my finds! Another byte for maybe saying if you left a Travel Bug? That'll keep it paperless.

Special note:
    B* has a problem loading gpx files with a bunch of data. Duh. I used GSAK to make a list of 75 caches without any log data stored in the final gpx. It was smaller than a gpx file w/ 20 caches and log data. It also loaded better into B* without incident. You could always make a small windows app to "clean" the gpx files. Something simple asking for input file, output file, check boxes for including logs, descriptions, hints, ect...
    01-13-09 09:25 PM
    Everyone,
    I'm looking around for a great off-network GPS app. This weekend, I'm going hiking, so I'll try out your app as well as a couple of others and let you know what happens.

Thanks so much!

EDIT: I've been reading through the rest of the posts and keep seeing "puck." After googling it, I realize it's a pocket GPSr. Is this necessary to use the BB as a GPS device? Can I just download BlackStar and go?

I've never used a GPS device because I've always used a map and compass. However, my orienteering skills aren't what they should be. So, I'm looking for a way to increase the chances of me returning from hikes (my wife likes this, too). If I can take my 8330 Curve and scout some trails and still make it back to my vehicle, I would consider this a life-saving app.

You guys are awesome, I'll let you know how a true noob experiences BlackStar after this weekend.
    Last edited by jmattix; 01-15-09 at 09:33 AM. Reason: I didn't read the rest of the posts.
    01-15-09 07:50 AM
    1) Filter html out of the cache descriptions <- parsing html is always fun!
    BB's can show the browser as a field in an app, so rather than filter you can show the HTML in a browser field.

3) A long list of caches makes me have to delete caches I have found, which is kinda backwards. What about having B* edit the gpx files with a "found" tag? one byte tag 1 or 0 to make B* show a smiley face on the cache list that way if I load another list, it keeps my finds! Another byte for maybe saying if you left a Travel Bug? That'll keep it paperless.
    See GPS Avenger code for an example of how to do this
    01-15-09 08:49 AM
    Unfortunately, we still do not have any formal documentation.

To upload a gpx or loc file it must first be stored on your sd card. Go to the List Waypoints screen, then select the Import GPX/LOC File menu item. navigate through your file system then select the file. It currently does not give you notification that it is importing, it just freezes until it is done, then gives you a confirmation popup. The import is currently experiencing problems with gpx files with more than 20 waypoints.

If you are referring to the "closest 20 waypoints" menu item, that is a little different. That will bring you to geocaching.com with your current location as your search parameters. At the bottom of the screen, click the Check All, then Download Waypoints button (you must be logged into geocaching.com to see the buttons. It will ask you to save the file, click Yes. Then it will prompt you for the filename. It will show as nearest.aspx, change the filename to end with .loc. Then import that file into BlackStar and go geocaching.

Have fun! I have found many geocaches with B*, hopefully you do too.

Ok, I love Blackstar, but I have a couple of issues with the locate nearest 20 caches options.

First, when I select this option, it opens my browser trying to open the geocaching.com page, but I always get a communication error and the page doesn't load. However, in any given waypoint details, where it lists the cache URL, it will go to the cache details page in geocaching.com no problem.

Second, when I try to download a .loc file from geocaching.com (however I get there) it gives the file the name 'cache details' with no extension, so I replace this name with a proper name and put .loc at the end, it saves it and a box says "saving complete - proper name.loc.aspx" or something close to that opens. I then can't import the .aspx file into BlackStar, and I don't know how to get it to stop doing this.

I have an 8830 world edition.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    01-16-09 12:18 PM
    Ok, I love Blackstar, but I have a couple of issues with the locate nearest 20 caches options.

First, when I select this option, it opens my browser trying to open the geocaching.com page, but I always get a communication error and the page doesn't load. However, in any given waypoint details, where it lists the cache URL, it will go to the cache details page in geocaching.com no problem.

Second, when I try to download a .loc file from geocaching.com (however I get there) it gives the file the name 'cache details' with no extension, so I replace this name with a proper name and put .loc at the end, it saves it and a box says "saving complete - proper name.loc.aspx" or something close to that opens. I then can't import the .aspx file into BlackStar, and I don't know how to get it to stop doing this.

I have an 8830 world edition.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Which OS are you using? I think pre- 4.5 versions had issues with changing file extensions.

As far as the communication error goes, that is a new one. What is the URL it is trying to open? You should be able to get that using the Page Address menu item. Did you try a Refresh when it gives you the error?
    01-16-09 12:49 PM
    Cook,

Thanks for the info. The GPX load worked (of course!).

I notice on the touch screen Storm that the movement between menu items such as moving between Yes and No is difficult because a minor scroll has a drastic movement of the focus. Example: to end the app, I have to work hard at getting the focus on Yes. If I try to scroll up to Yes the focus goes somewhere way up on the page. I have to come back down to No then move just a very small amount.
    I had the same issue... until I went into the options and turned off the Prompt Before Exiting. Saved me a lot of swearing. Once I got that and the keyboard issue cleared up, I would have to say this is the 2nd most used app on my Storm.
    01-16-09 02:09 PM
    Great application. Thanks.
    01-20-09 04:57 AM
    Thanks a lot!
    I was looking for an geocaching tool for some weeks now. Thats exactly what I was looking for. On storm it is little hard to read, because only a half of the screen is used, but for free thats ok. I really like the integration of geocaching.com. again:
    Thanks a lot!
    01-20-09 05:23 PM
    Works like a dream, found one today

Thanks again!!!
    01-20-09 05:37 PM
830 ... 2223242526 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD