While all care is taken in the production of this software, the hardware it runs on and many other environmental factors and circumstances will always be beyond our control and this software is not certified or guaranteed to be fit for any purpose and should never be utilised in any situation that may be life threatening, or potentially life threatening.

If lives could be at risk, don't be a cheap skate! However feel free to utilise the software for non-life threatening situations at your own risk, anything stupid you do while using this software is your own fault, like driving into water flooded cause ways.

I really could go on all day here, I'm still trying to figure out how to include nuclear power plants, well exclude them
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-30-08 at 01:11 PM.
    12-30-08 01:06 PM
    i hate to be the guy who jumps in on convo's when I haven't been apart of them... but blackstar sounds like it could be exactly what I need to map my hike of the AT. How do you view and publish the waypoints you make?
    12-30-08 03:11 PM
    I was just reading an article (attached below in blue) talking about Verizon unlocking it's GPS chip. From what I'm reading only BlackBerry maps will work unless (as stated in the last paragraph) the 3rd party app is submitted for a digital signature.
    RIM updated the "Best practices for designing GPS applications for BlackBerry smartphones operating on CDMA networks" developer knowledge base document on December 22 which explains some of this and includes specific information for Verizon GPS settings.

<http://tinyurl.com/6fj2t8>
    Last edited by shwemp; 12-30-08 at 05:40 PM.
    12-30-08 05:34 PM
    RIM updated the "Best practices for designing GPS applications for BlackBerry smartphones operating on CDMA networks" developer knowledge base document on December 22 which explains some of this and includes specific information for Verizon GPS settings.

Interesting reading... Here is one part of particular interest
    Setting up Verizon credentials
    Verizon requires third-party applications to have a valid Client ID and Password for their Location Proxy Server (LPS) to access the Location API. To obtain these credentials, contact Verizon. Verizon credentials can be set in an application by calling GPSSettings.setPDEInfo(String ip, int port) as follows:
    GPSSettings.setPDEInfo(";"+clientID+";"+password, 0);
    Anyone know how one goes about acquring this valid client id and password?

Is this the fee delta_foxtrot2 was mentioning?
    12-30-08 08:41 PM

I also see this in the CB forums where it confirms what BruceRTL was saying about the Verizon GPS only being unlocked for BBMaps.

Verizon seems to have us going in circles and I get bad motion sickness
    12-30-08 09:16 PM
    i hate to be the guy who jumps in on convo's when I haven't been apart of them... but blackstar sounds like it could be exactly what I need to map my hike of the AT. How do you view and publish the waypoints you make?
    Well, the export functionality is still in its infancy. When you export, it will create a file called BlackStar.gpx on your SD card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 10:22 PM
    Well, the export functionality is still in its infancy. When you export, it will create a file called BlackStar.gpx on your SD card.

gotcha. Any plans on auto-updates for live feeds?
    12-31-08 12:35 AM
    Verizon seems to have us going in circles and I get bad motion sickness
    Find the lawyer chasing the ambulance on the way to the hospital and ask about a class action
    12-31-08 04:13 AM

Could you make the export feature also export ASCII text so that it could be emailled?

Can you also increase the font size of the current Lat/Long display at the top of the screen. It looks very tiny at the moment?

Can you also give the current speed in Km. a bit more space as it currently keeps switching between 1 and 2 lines on-screen?

Thanks very much.

You should put a disclaimer on-screen. I do this in all my Crack-Tools and it is a simple one line. You could put something like.

"Use at your own risk. No responsibility accepted for improper use."

You could also say.

"For use in non-emergency situations only."
    12-31-08 04:26 AM
    Interesting reading... Here is one part of particular interest

Anyone know how one goes about acquring this valid client id and password?

Is this the fee delta_foxtrot2 was mentioning?
    I would imagine this is where the fee come into play. Verizon has a developer web site but it appears to be focused for BREW applications.

<http://www.vzwdevelopers.com/aims/>

The RIM document also points out that stand alone GPS mode is open on handset software version 4.7 and above which explains why most third party applications will work on the Storm.
    12-31-08 07:51 AM
    Just thought I'd let you know that BlackStar (v1.3.3) works a treat on my shiny new Bold here in the UK. Went for my first ever geocaching walk today, and BlackStar guided me to two finds in exactly the right place in no time at all.

While this proves it's already a super piece of software, can I take the liberty of suggesting a couple of things to make it even better?...

I don't know how this looks on other devices, but on the Bold's screen, the fonts used for the lat/long, and waypoint list and details screens, are incredibly small, and therefore difficult to read. Any chance of an option to increase the font size?

Second, on most other BB apps, the menu has a Switch Application option. This would have been really useful to switch between BlackStar and the Browser where I had the geocaching.com open at the right page. Is it possible to add a Switch App menu option?

Anyway, thanks again for great piece of software.
    DickM.
    01-01-09 02:47 PM
    Second, on most other BB apps, the menu has a Switch Application option. This would have been really useful to switch between BlackStar and the Browser where I had the geocaching.com open at the right page. Is it possible to add a Switch App menu option?

DickM.
    I don't know about the bold, but on the curve you can switch between apps by pressing Alt and the Back key (to the right of the trackball) this takes you to a menu of open software (a bit like Alt-Tab on the PC) and you can scroll to the app you want to switch to.

I hope this helps.
    01-01-09 03:15 PM
    Just thought I'd let you know that BlackStar (v1.3.3) works a treat on my shiny new Bold here in the UK. Went for my first ever geocaching walk today, and BlackStar guided me to two finds in exactly the right place in no time at all.

While this proves it's already a super piece of software, can I take the liberty of suggesting a couple of things to make it even better?...

I don't know how this looks on other devices, but on the Bold's screen, the fonts used for the lat/long, and waypoint list and details screens, are incredibly small, and therefore difficult to read. Any chance of an option to increase the font size?

Anyway, thanks again for great piece of software.
    DickM.
    Thanks DickM for the feedback. I agree on both of your suggestions. Changing the font is a no brainer and I'm sure we'll look into that for the next release. I like the switch application option but I did something I think is even better. I assigned the "Application Switcher" to the left middle button on the side of my BB. This allows me to switch apps at the touch of a button without scrolling any menus.

Congratulations on finding the caches!
    01-01-09 05:58 PM
    Just wanted to let you all Know, I was on a flight from Florida to NYC a few days ago. Turned on my STORM, as a PDA, No Phone Functions On, Started Up BlackStar, after aquiring the sats, it told me we were at 33,000 ft, speed was 580 MPH, on a heading to the NE.

NICE JOB on this APP !!!!!
    01-01-09 06:18 PM
    I don't know about the bold, but on the curve you can switch between apps by pressing Alt and the Back key (to the right of the trackball) this takes you to a menu of open software (a bit like Alt-Tab on the PC) and you can scroll to the app you want to switch to.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the tip davoid - just tried it, and it does work on the Bold and does exactly what the swicth application menu option woud do.

Cheers!
    01-02-09 05:43 AM
    Changing the font is a no brainer and I'm sure we'll look into that for the next release.
    Thanks - I look forward to being able to go walking with the next release without having to take my reading glasses with me
    01-02-09 05:48 AM
    Is there an easy way to find out what the latest version is and a place to download it from without having to trawl through the whole thread? I'm on a pretty slow connection and this forum is very slow loading. Maybe a sticky post or an edit of the original post in this thread?

I'm currently downloading a zip file of V 1.3.3.5 from Page 34....I think that's the latest?
    01-02-09 11:49 AM
    Well it turns out that it's actually V 1.3.3.9 that I've downloaded

I've found one snag with it which involves loading a gpx file to the Waypoints List. I'm getting an exception error on Blackstar (181) and the application isn't responding and has been closed down (paraphrasing).

This was loading a gpx of approx 68 caches. I had no problems loading another of 18 caches so I'm wondering if there is a limit on the size of gpx file that can be imported or if it's an issue to do with my model?

Running OS v4.5.0.102 on a BB Pearl 8100
    01-02-09 01:38 PM
    I've found one snag with it which involves loading a gpx file to the Waypoints List. I'm getting an exception error on Blackstar (181) and the application isn't responding and has been closed down (paraphrasing).

This was loading a gpx of approx 68 caches. I had no problems loading another of 18 caches so I'm wondering if there is a limit on the size of gpx file that can be imported or if it's an issue to do with my model?
    Yes that is a known problem. Keep gpx files to 20 caches and it should work.

01-02-09 02:08 PM
    Yes that is a known problem. Keep gpx files to 20 caches and it should work.

Wow! It doesn't really bother me but that must be a real PITA in a cache dense area!
    01-02-09 04:19 PM
    Wow! It doesn't really bother me but that must be a real PITA in a cache dense area!
    It is and we are working on increasing that limit. However to get around this in dense areas, you can tell BlackStar to list the 20 caches nearest to your current location. This will bring up a Geocaching page that shows the caches. Towards the bottom of the page is an option to put a check next to all the caches and download them directly to your BB and a button to download those caches (make sure you give it an .loc extension). Once in your BB you can import them into BlackStar. The only real problem with this is that you are downloading a .loc file instead of a .gpx file. the .loc file doesn't contain as much information. To get around this, once you select one of the caches as a destination, go into BlackStar's waypoint detail screen and tell it to go bring up that cache page. Here you can read the details about that cache you are looking for and even mark it as found once you do find it. This all works of course if you have an internet connection and a free geocaching account. It's perfect for dense cache areas.

Good luck and Cache on.....
    01-02-09 04:30 PM
    Newbie problem: I have downloaded Blackstar v. 1.3.3 from the OTA link. I have a 8300 curve and i am using a freedom 2000 GPS keychain. While I can get google maps and other apps to use the GPS, Blackstar will not search for satellites and gives me this when I exit: "Uncaught Exception: Cannot access GPS: the application requires authorization from your wireless service provider to access the GPS functionality."

My provider is At&T. I am running OS v.2.2.166 which AT&T says is the most current one for my phone.

any suggestions? I really want to use this geocaching.
    01-02-09 07:09 PM
    Newbie problem: I have downloaded Blackstar v. 1.3.3 from the OTA link. I have a 8300 curve and i am using a freedom 2000 GPS keychain. While I can get google maps and other apps to use the GPS, Blackstar will not search for satellites and gives me this when I exit: "Uncaught Exception: Cannot access GPS: the application requires authorization from your wireless service provider to access the GPS functionality."

My provider is At&T and I am running OS v.2.2.166 which AT&T says is the most current one for my phone.

any suggestions? I really want to use this geocaching.
    My provider is also AT&T and I'm running 4.5.0.81 (I think), I know there is a newer version available - directly from AT&T. How are your permissions set for BlackStar. Make sure that it is allowed to access GPS.
    01-02-09 08:26 PM
    Sorry, my mistake. I am using OS 4.2.166. And when I downloaded it I set the permissions to allow gps access. I have tried to uninstall it using the desktop manager (and then reinstall it) and it will not uninstall.
    01-02-09 08:57 PM
    ok sorry i have only read about the last 5 - 10 pages so sorry if this has been asnwered but....

one person asked if it worked on the storm and someone replied it should but requires extra steps. but i didnt see any 100% confirmation blackstar runs on the storm.

if it does, does it run on the verizon storm. i read some posts in this thread about the gps being unlocked for bb maps only?

thing is, i think peopel were saying they had the gps work in apps other than bb maps.

also, if the device has a gps chip built in, why would you need to verizons location server with a username/password to get this info inside your application (for the developer)??? wuldnt you just access it from the chip in the device using BB apis?

or does the storm not have a full internal gps and requires verizon's location servers?

also can someone point me to a page or post or site that explains blackstar with screenshots if possible oto.?
    01-02-09 09:58 PM
830 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD