This is exactly what I was looking for but unfortunately i have the verizon 8830we BB so I get the dreaded "No GPS Receiver is available" I read that the new version 4.5 unlocked the gps, if I upgrade will the program work for me??
    12-26-08 02:57 PM
    I would like to know if there is an application like this to use it on the storm?
    I'm pretty sure that BlackStar runs on the Storm.
    12-26-08 03:37 PM
    I would like to know if there is an application like this to use it on the storm?
    Other storm users have reported that BlackStar works well on the storm. There is an extra setup step to allow the keyboard to be hidden. The instructions for that are back a page or two in this thread.

EDIT: Here is the link to the Extra setup step to hide/show the keyboard from kingb73:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ml#post1159253
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cook46933; 12-26-08 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add link
    12-26-08 03:38 PM
    This is exactly what I was looking for but unfortunately i have the verizon 8830we BB so I get the dreaded "No GPS Receiver is available" I read that the new version 4.5 unlocked the gps, if I upgrade will the program work for me??
    I am not sure on the setup for Verizon, it has been a big mystery to me. Hopefully some other Verizon folk have this figured out.

I recently received some info from delta_foxtrot about Verizon setup. It looks like we might need to change some of the GPS location provider settings in the code. But hopefully someone else on Verizon can say if they were able to get it to work as is.
    12-26-08 04:34 PM
    I am not sure on the setup for Verizon, it has been a big mystery to me. Hopefully some other Verizon folk have this figured out.

I recently received some info from delta_foxtrot about Verizon setup. It looks like we might need to change some of the GPS location provider settings in the code. But hopefully someone else on Verizon can say if they were able to get it to work as is.
    So far I cannot get it to work on the verizon network. I have the BB Pearl 8130, with vs 4.5.0.77. BB maps work with the new OS without paying for the GPS.

When I run blackstar it says "NO GPS receiver available". The only option I have is "ok" and it shuts down.

I have tried both the .zip and the OTA versions. GPS location is on in the options.

One question I do have, when reading through the 30 something pages, is blackstar the name of the original project? I got confused somewhere around page 27...LOL

I could also never find if this program was for the 8130. That could be part of the problem.

Thanks,
    Brian
    12-26-08 04:50 PM
    One question I do have, when reading through the 30 something pages, is blackstar the name of the original project? I got confused somewhere around page 27...LOL

I could also never find if this program was for the 8130. That could be part of the problem.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Early on, this original project really didn't have an official name. "BlackStar" the name came around somewhere in late summer or early fall when Paul asked for someone to come up with a name.

I fairly sure that BlackStar runs on the 8130.
    12-26-08 06:10 PM
    Early on, this original project really didn't have an official name. "BlackStar" the name came around somewhere in late summer or early fall when Paul asked for someone to come up with a name.

I fairly sure that BlackStar runs on the 8130.
    Thanks, Just wanted to make sure the thread didnt get hijacked and I was downloading the same app.

Any suggestions to make it run?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    12-26-08 08:22 PM
    Thanks, Just wanted to make sure the thread didnt get hijacked and I was downloading the same app.

Any suggestions to make it run?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    At least one idea, a tip from delta_foxtrot.

Brian, If you are a willing guinea pig, I may send you a zip to test since I don't have Verizon.
    12-26-08 08:36 PM
    Isn't it funny, you're looking for something completely different and find something else, I was trying to figure out how to make short cut bars on the storm, and found out info on GPS on Verizon....
    12-26-08 10:27 PM
    At least one idea, a tip from delta_foxtrot.

Brian, If you are a willing guinea pig, I may send you a zip to test since I don't have Verizon.
    Sure thing. Email me at bkodriver (at) gmail (dot) com.

Wont be up much longer tonight, and out Ice fishin all day tomorrow.

Brian
    12-26-08 10:43 PM
    Isn't it funny, you're looking for something completely different and find something else, I was trying to figure out how to make short cut bars on the storm, and found out info on GPS on Verizon....
    LOL Yeah I found this site about 7 am this morning. Been on it all day. Wife is mad. Its just one tangent after another!

Brian
    12-26-08 10:44 PM
    In this case wasn't a tangent, I was searching a BB dev forum for "shortcut bar" and it came back with Verizon GPS....
    12-26-08 10:46 PM
    Sure thing. Email me at bkodriver (at) gmail (dot) com.

Wont be up much longer tonight, and out Ice fishin all day tomorrow.

Brian
    On the forums all day and ice fishing all day tomorrow... Does your BB get good reception in the dog house?
    I will get that zip to you soon. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 11:03 PM
    Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use the OTA version? No big deal just curious. Maybe you already said and I just missed it.
    Sorry for the late response.
    My blackberry loads B* very nicely, and I love the changes. The odd thing is that my girlfriend's blackberry loads the OTA with issues. Same phone, same OS, so something is up. The B* on her phone recognizes the memory card, but does not recognize the folders on the memory card. Everything else works fine.

Blackberry 8310 4.5.0.110, BlackStar 1.3.3.5 OTA
    Tried changing memory cards & OS reinstall without success.

I want to try an install with the cable before I conclude its the phone or BlackStar. Worst comes to Worst, we'll just have to save files straight to the card and not in any folders.
    12-28-08 02:29 PM
    So far I cannot get it to work on the verizon network. I have the BB Pearl 8130, with vs 4.5.0.77. BB maps work with the new OS without paying for the GPS.

When I run blackstar it says "NO GPS receiver available". The only option I have is "ok" and it shuts down.
    I am having exactly the same experience with my BB Curve. After finding out earlier today that Verizon changed their attitude about keeping me from using the GPS hardware, I spent a lot of time today updating the Curve's software to 4.5.0.77 and the desktop software to version 4.7. The Blackberry maps now use the GPS chip and that works like a charm. But I cannot get anything else to recognize that there is a GPS; I see the same error message as bkodriver, followed by the same quick shutdown.
    12-29-08 11:39 PM
    I am having exactly the same experience with my BB Curve. After finding out earlier today that Verizon changed their attitude about keeping me from using the GPS hardware, I spent a lot of time today updating the Curve's software to 4.5.0.77 and the desktop software to version 4.7. The Blackberry maps now use the GPS chip and that works like a charm. But I cannot get anything else to recognize that there is a GPS; I see the same error message as bkodriver, followed by the same quick shutdown.
    I was just reading an article (attached below in blue) talking about Verizon unlocking it's GPS chip. From what I'm reading only BlackBerry maps will work unless (as stated in the last paragraph) the 3rd party app is submitted for a digital signature.

Users of HowardForums are confirming that the latest update to BlackBerry OS 4.5 (version ending in .77) on Verizon for the Curve and Pearl enables the internal GPS transceiver to work with BlackBerry Maps.

When tested with the new functionality, the reports average a lock time of up to a minute for the first lock, with 30 seconds being the norm after each subsequent lock to establish functionality.

It should be noted that the transceiver access will only work for BlackBerry Maps, as any attempt to use a third party application such as Windows Live Search or Google Maps will result in the GPS access not working, presumably due to the need to update the aforementioned apps to enable recognition of the transceiver.

It is also not known if Verizon has broader plans to fully unlock GPS access on all of its BlackBerry devices as the carrier has stated previously that any third party developer must submit its GPS/LBS applications to be digitally signed before being allowed access to built-in GPS hardware.
    12-30-08 07:54 AM
    In short Verizon is shifting the monetary value of the GPS from the user to the developer, I'm sure submitting will cost, possibly each version. In which case devs have the option of taking the moral road and telling users that they're better off buying GPS hardware and/or class action lawsuit against Verizon (which I think there is a couple) for misleading and or false advertising, possibly a little anti-trust on the side. Or sucking it up.
    12-30-08 08:02 AM
    Anyone know of any Search and rescue (free) software? I know FREE but money is tight...Thanks all....Be nice...lol
    12-30-08 10:33 AM
    Anyone know of any Search and rescue (free) software? I know FREE but money is tight...Thanks all....Be nice...lol
    What functionality are you looking for? It seems like BlackStar would be suited for this, but if there is other functionality you would need, I would be more than happy to help such a noble cause. And it is FREE
    12-30-08 10:44 AM
    What functionality are you looking for? It seems like BlackStar would be suited for this, but if there is other functionality you would need, I would be more than happy to help such a noble cause. And it is FREE
    Becareful what you wish for, and make sure your liability insurance is paid up if you are even considering supporting software in a life threatening situation.
    12-30-08 11:21 AM
    Becareful what you wish for, and make sure your liability insurance is paid up if you are even considering supporting software in a life threatening situation.
    Yikes, good point. I hate lawyers...
    12-30-08 11:34 AM
    If you are going to trust your, or worse, some other unsuspecting soul's life to software, let alone hardware you need to have a full warranty and full backup as well as a certificate from one or more authorities that it is valid for the job.

Any other course with your own life is, imo, foolhardy. With other lives it could land you in court or jail.

Don't risk it, buy the right stuff.
    12-30-08 12:01 PM
    Yikes, good point. I hate lawyers...
    You would end up with the best kind in this situation, ambulance chasing ones trying to get money out of who ever they can blame legally on behalf of some grieving family... becareful what you wish for...
    12-30-08 12:07 PM
    You guys got me thinking that perhaps we should put a small disclaimer on BlackStar's opening screen saying something like, "Use at your own risk, not certified to be accurate!". Just in case someone tries to use it in a professional emergency situation.
    12-30-08 12:43 PM
    I always like the disclaimers that include "Not to be used in the operation of a nuclear power plant.", also there is no problem with them trying it in a professional situation, they could be practising, "life threatening" is the key wording
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-30-08 at 01:04 PM.
    12-30-08 01:00 PM
830 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD