Ok, major bug in the program. I go to the bb menu and press exit, it asks me if i want to close blackstar. I click yes.. nothing happens. It just opens the menu again.
    This happened to me on my Storm. I don't know what caused it, but the 1.3.3.5 fixed this. I absolutely love this app.
    12-20-08 02:35 PM
    The new BlackStar 1.3.3.5 is now available over the air.

We added:

1) On the main menu we now have an option to pull up your browser with the 20 closest geocaches from your position. Go towards the bottom of the geocache page and press the "check all" button and then below it, "Download". When your browser asks, type in a name. Anything name really but make sure it ends in dot loc (.loc). Then go back to BlackStar and have it import those 20 caches.

2) Also from the main menu we now have an option that will display weather information for your current position. It uses wunderground weather and will return the closest weather station to your current position.

3) From the waypoint detail screen the menu now has an option to go to that cache's web page. I used this option earlier today while geocaching and it was really handy to be able to read the various log files and of course the hint!

The OTA link is: http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad
    Type careful, I found this to be case sensitive when I tested it.
    Really nice work guys. Major enhancements, very impressive.

On Bold 4.6.0.214 and just OTA'd B* 1.3.3.5.

The weather jump... Nice. Great info!!!

The Geocaching 20 nearest and the link to the cache web page... Nice
    if and when I do any geocaching this will replace my Garmin GPSMAP60CSX as the auto import and the internet link to the cache web page are obviously features I do not have on that quote/unquote "superior GPSr"

Exporting GPX... Nice

Oh, there's more. Just wanted to chime in and say Great Stuff!

and Thank You!
    12-20-08 05:01 PM
    I have downloaded the one is the last post. I am hoping it will now work.

Edit: I opened it and it just shows: Spd: and Dist:

But both are showing blank entries...

What now?

Man I am sorry but this application is ****ed up. I can't even exit it the right way, I have to press the end key. WTF?

Edit: I think I figured out what it is... It doesn't work in Puerto Rico.
    Last edited by prskate2; 12-22-08 at 05:45 PM.
    12-22-08 05:38 PM
    I have downloaded the one is the last post. I am hoping it will now work.

Edit: I opened it and it just shows: Spd: and Dist:

But both are showing blank entries...

What now?

Man I am sorry but this application is f**** up. I can't even exit it the right way, I have to press the end key. WTF?

Edit: I think I figured out what it is... It doesn't work in Puerto Rico.
    I don't see any reason it would not work in Puerto Rico unless your carrier is blocking your GPS the way Verizon was. Or maybe you are using an unsigned version.

Did you download the OTA version, or did you download the last zip file and use desktop manager? If you used the zip, then you have an unsigned version. Signing the app seemed to fix this issue for the Storm.

If you need the latest in a Zip file, then reply to the thread and I will get that set up. We did not create a zip with the last update, we thought everyone was using OTA.
    12-22-08 06:36 PM
    ...we thought everyone was using OTA.
    OTA worked like a charm
    12-22-08 07:04 PM
    Exporting GPX... Nice
    Haven't looked into it myself yet, but some apps are starting to be able to export in the notes format that garmin mobile + geocache navigator do...
    12-22-08 08:43 PM
    Is there a BlackStar-1.3.3.5.zip I can get for non-OTA install?
    12-22-08 08:48 PM
    Is there a BlackStar-1.3.3.5.zip I can get for non-OTA install?
    Here you go. I've been working on some things that are currently untested. I removed them for this special build. This should be the version 1.3.3.5 that you requested. If anything is not working, let me know and we'll see what we can do. I didn't make a zip file when I released this originally. I figured everyone would grab it OTA. Next time I'll release both versions. In the mean time, this one should work well.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you want to use the OTA version? No big deal just curious. Maybe you already said and I just missed it.

Good Luck!
    12-22-08 09:12 PM
    BlackStar OTA install: The OTA link is: http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad
    Type careful, I found this to be case sensitive when I tested it.
    Some people need a hint the size of a shovel blade to the head some times I swear :P

http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad => http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-22-08 at 09:26 PM.
    12-22-08 09:22 PM
    Some people need a hint the size of a shovel blade to the head some times I swear :P

http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad => http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad
    Ouch! Are you related to my wife! lol
    12-22-08 09:34 PM
    This is a great App, and I love the way it started. Thanks so much for all the work that went into it to get it to this point.

I now have a real data plan and just did the upgrade OTA. For some reason I couldn't just type in the link (file not found), I needed to open the crackberry page and click the link which worked fine. Good also to have a non OTA option, when I first tried an earlier version of this, I had a crappy 1mb (then 4mb) data plan just for email. One of the good things about this app is you don't need a data plan to use it. I will probably upgrade non OTA onto my old BB (now my wife's) with currently no data plan on it.

The text seems really small on some parts of this new verson. I assume that may have something to do with the higher resolution of my BB 8900 screen.

I was recently using the old version in Mongolia & Siberia. Great to have a simple app that didn't need a data plan when roaming. It was very useful at one point in figuring out I wasn't quite where I thought I was on the paper map. Many other times, it was good to keep track of how far I was away from the nearest road, and insurance against getting totally lost in the wilderness.

The new version seems to have many impressive improvements, and I'm looking forward to using it in Antarctica next month.

Many many thanks.
    12-22-08 10:41 PM
    This is a great App, and I love the way it started. Thanks so much for all the work that went into it to get it to this point.

I now have a real data plan and just did the upgrade OTA. For some reason I couldn't just type in the link (file not found), I needed to open the crackberry page and click the link which worked fine. Good also to have a non OTA option, when I first tried an earlier version of this, I had a crappy 1mb (then 4mb) data plan just for email. One of the good things about this app is you don't need a data plan to use it. I will probably upgrade non OTA onto my old BB (now my wife's) with currently no data plan on it.

The text seems really small on some parts of this new verson. I assume that may have something to do with the higher resolution of my BB 8900 screen.

I was recently using the old version in Mongolia & Siberia. Great to have a simple app that didn't need a data plan when roaming. It was very useful at one point in figuring out I wasn't quite where I thought I was on the paper map. Many other times, it was good to keep track of how far I was away from the nearest road, and insurance against getting totally lost in the wilderness.

The new version seems to have many impressive improvements, and I'm looking forward to using it in Antarctica next month.

Many many thanks.

Wow! Antarctica, Mongolia, Siberia... Very cool! Thanks for the feedback. Good luck in your journeys.
    12-22-08 10:58 PM
    Ouch! Are you related to my wife! lol
    She needs to thump harder you still haven't updated your sig to something shorter !
    12-23-08 06:58 AM
    She needs to thump harder you still haven't updated your sig to something shorter !
    Yes Dear!
    12-23-08 07:53 AM
    Yes Dear!
    See this is why she nags you! lol
    12-23-08 11:00 AM
    Oh and if you are thinking about dev'ing for the storm, I finally got my mits on one and the report card for trekbuddy ain't so good :/

TrekBuddy - J2ME application for GPS tracking
    12-23-08 11:04 AM
    Any chance of adding Degrees, Minutes, Seconds [& Decimal Seconds if the resolution exists] readout ?

And if someone wants to slam me for not doing the math in my head...go pick on the guy that wants the tip calculator for the Storm.

Thanks!
    12-23-08 09:48 PM
    Any chance of adding Degrees, Minutes, Seconds [& Decimal Seconds if the resolution exists] readout ?

And if someone wants to slam me for not doing the math in my head...go pick on the guy that wants the tip calculator for the Storm.

Thanks!
    That shouldn't be a problem for the next release. I don't like to do the math in my head either. I just never had a need for seconds except at dinner

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 10:07 PM
    That shouldn't be a problem for the next release. I don't like to do the math in my head either. I just never had a need for seconds except at dinner

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Great! I participate in a lot of search and rescue. When dealing with other groups/agencies/searchers/etc everyone uses a different format. D.DD, D M.DM, D M S are all formats I run into. Nice to have the GPS work in all these formats.

Thanks for the fast response!
    12-23-08 10:16 PM
    Why don't people just use decimal degrees?

All this imperial nonsense seems like hard work going between formats even if you aren't doing it in your head!
    12-23-08 10:23 PM
    Bruce or Cook. Hi guys. Have been watching the development and I really like the app you've created. I have an unrelated question. I've searched everywhere with no luck. The Calendar for BB does not allow for categorizing and color coding appts. When I look at the month view it only shows a black dot for an appt. that day. It would be awesome to have color categories added and be able to see at a glance of the month view and tell what I have on my plate. There are some calendar apps out there (agendus, pocket informant, etc.) but they do not have this in their software. To be able to look at my month view and know by the color dots what is personal, business, out of town, etc is huge. I can't be the only one that thinks this is needed. My Palm calendar does this and since I switched I've been reluctant to get rid of the palm because of this. Could you 'tweak' the calendar or create a simple calendar with this option? Thanks.
    12-24-08 07:32 AM

Thanks!
    Wow, that is a funny post!
    12-24-08 09:32 AM
    Maybe we could add a Tip Calculator to BlackStar? lol That way the people that you rescue can give you a tip.
    12-24-08 10:08 AM
    Maybe we could add a Tip Calculator to BlackStar? lol That way the people that you rescue can give you a tip.
    Well with people loosing their jobs this year it probably won't be needed for a while :P

Or you could move to say Australia, tipping isn't part of our culture, although the previous federal government tried to bring it in by letting minimum wages for some jobs go down, something like that.
    12-24-08 07:44 PM
    I would like to know if there is an application like this to use it on the storm?
    12-26-08 02:26 PM
830 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD