You missed my point, I don't mean use the averaged data in that manner, just keep track of it in an internal variable to tell if the person is moving, not using that information to be displayed.
    Yep I did, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Based on that comment, it would probably be easier to just have a threshhold for speed or distance between waypoints to guess if the user is standing still. If the waypoint is < 2 meters (see I can use metrics , that is 4 feet right haha) then still update distance from destination, but don't update the bearing arrow. The arrow may not be right, but at least it is not dancing.

BTW I know 2 meters is not 4 feet, it is 5 feet.
    12-11-08 01:33 AM
    Yep I did, I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Based on that comment, it would probably be easier to just have a threshhold for speed or distance between waypoints to guess if the user is standing still. If the waypoint is < 2 meters (see I can use metrics , that is 4 feet right haha) then still update distance from destination, but don't update the bearing arrow. The arrow may not be right, but at least it is not dancing.:
    The inch is metric and was standardised as exactly 0.0254 metres
    A yard is approx. a metre. 1 metre is 3 ft 3 in...

Anyways, as for the above I mentioned multiple options for a reason, by using them all you can get a clearer picture of what is going on rather than focusing on the golden bullet so to speak.

The goal is to be able to approximate small movements without a magnetic compass, or highly accurate GPS. GPS give accurate position based on the more information the more acurate you can get, so the more information from various sources you can build the better the picture you have about what's going on.
    12-11-08 04:17 AM
    Does anyone know how you can hide the keyboard in the Blackstar app. Placing your finger at the top and dragging the keyboard down doesn't seem to work......with the keyboard up, I have to scroll a little to see the lat and long.......I would like to be able to hide the keyboard to gain some more screen real estate.......Thanks in advance for any replys.......Blackstar is a great app........
    12-11-08 07:06 AM
    Does anyone know how you can hide the keyboard in the Blackstar app. Placing your finger at the top and dragging the keyboard down doesn't seem to work......with the keyboard up, I have to scroll a little to see the lat and long.......I would like to be able to hide the keyboard to gain some more screen real estate.......Thanks in advance for any replys.......Blackstar is a great app........
    I have no familiarity with the storm, but another storm user has asked for the same thing. I will research it, but if anyone knows how to handle it, please let me know.
    12-11-08 07:18 AM
    I'd Like to see a fix for this as well. What are the chances for us lowley STORM Users to get a keyboard option to show, or not to show? Is this some thing hard to write into the code of the program?

By the Way, Even as it is now,,, VERY NICE JOB !!!
    12-11-08 07:23 AM
    The "dragging" the keyboard down is a shortcut. All of the other apps on the Storm have a "Show Keyboard" and "Hide Keyboard" as a menu option. I'm thinking it must be a "system" type thing or command that is available.
    I don't have any other apps loaded other than "google maps" and the option does show up there. Maybe somebody that has loaded some other applications can weigh in as to wheter or not the keyboard Show/Hide menu button is available......Thanks for all of your work on this.....
    12-11-08 07:28 AM
    I think this is what we're looking for...

The new BlackBerry JDE v4.7 API includes the following enhancements:
    Virtual Keyboard API � The Virtual Keyboard API supports the ability of an application to show or hide the virtual keyboard on a per-screen basis. This allows applications to control when the virtual keyboard should or should not be visible.
    12-11-08 08:31 AM
    This sounds like a great application. Any thoughts on why it will not work on a Verizon 8330? I know Verizon has been restrictive with the GPS but recent RIM documentation seems to indicate the 8330 should work.

<http://tinyurl.com/236zmz>

<http://tinyurl.com/6fj2t8>

Based on the documentation, is there any way to get this to work on a Verizon 8330 programmatically?

Thanks for the hard work!
    12-11-08 10:32 AM
    Haven't tried it yet, but found this tip in the "ULTIMATE official tricks/tips" for the Storm...

jfarrar12/5
    If you install some apps that were not designed for the storm they usually launch but with the keyboard in constant view and the touchscreen then acts as a trackball instead of a touchscreen. To fix this go to Options> advanced options> applications Highlight the app and press the menu key. Select Disable Compatibility Mode. Now the app will fill the screen and the touch screen will work like it should.

Hope it works....
    12-11-08 12:01 PM
    Haven't tried it yet, but found this tip in the "ULTIMATE official tricks/tips" for the Storm...

jfarrar12/5
    If you install some apps that were not designed for the storm they usually launch but with the keyboard in constant view and the touchscreen then acts as a trackball instead of a touchscreen. To fix this go to Options> advanced options> applications Highlight the app and press the menu key. Select Disable Compatibility Mode. Now the app will fill the screen and the touch screen will work like it should.

Hope it works....
    This removed the keyboard for me. It allows use this in full screen now. Also works when rotating the Storm. If I need the keyboard for data entry, all I do is hit the menu key, and select the feild I want to enter data into.

This little tip lets me use this program as I wanted to. Thanks for the tip. No new code needed to write now.
    Last edited by JimMariner; 12-11-08 at 11:47 PM.
    12-11-08 12:27 PM
    Wow, I like the new additions. I've used the weather option quite a bit. It is -6.5 degrees fahrenheit this morning. I looked at B* and decided it was too cold to go running and stayed in bed a bit longer.
    12-12-08 05:08 AM
    Wow, I like the new additions. I've used the weather option quite a bit. It is -6.5 degrees fahrenheit this morning. I looked at B* and decided it was too cold to go running and stayed in bed a bit longer.
    Do you know of any other apps that can promise you more sleep? I don't
    12-12-08 10:20 AM
    Im downloading the new version now.

One of the things that bugs me is the dancing arrow. I also own a TomTom for my car, and it seems to know where I am pretty precisely. One feature is that it tells when I've stopped and locks the coordinates. Blackstar could do the same thing as far a speed, but I can completely understand how much more difficult it could be to do.

Considering how easy it is to tell if a car is moving or not compared a much slower persons speed is means something extra probably has to be done in the logic for B* to really know if we are moving or not.

Some logic checkpoints should be like:
    Being stationary is defined as change in distance by X inches/feet.
    Has the GPSr been stationary for more than X seconds?
    Was the GPSr's last known speed less than X?

If the logical criteria match, then lock the arrow. Once any one of the criteria fall out of line, then start moving the arrow. The only downside to this is that cars cannot turn while being stationary, and people can, and that arrow will not update to the new direction you are facing. That downside alone somewhat completely negates idea behind locking the arrow.

Also, here is a helpful hint for those geocaching with B*. If you two or more close by coords in your list that you have been to already, point the arrow in the list at that coord's position, and the arrow to the next coord will point the right direction. The arrow may not know which way you are looking while standing still, but you do.
    12-12-08 09:55 PM
    Do you know of any other apps that can promise you more sleep? I don't
    It's not to much an app, as pulling the battery out, and not being slave to the tools that is supposed to be tools
    12-12-08 10:51 PM
    Being stationary is defined as change in distance by X inches/feet.
    Has the GPSr been stationary for more than X seconds?
    Was the GPSr's last known speed less than X?
    If only the consumer grade GPS were that accurate, I guess with WAAS it can be closer, but most of the time for most people without WAAS GPS can jump about and think you are moving at a fast walking pace when you are stationary. This is already came up the other day and I'm looking forward to toying with the accelerometer to see if it can be used to tell more accurately if you are stationary.

Most car sat nav systems only have to care if you are doing more than 5km/hr, which is a fast walk/slow run speed, which is why it's trivial for them to lock your last known heading if your speed drops below this threshold.
    12-12-08 10:54 PM
    I tried to open the .alx file and I was not able to. It took me to a page with some foreign language on it. Any suggestions?

Edit: I guess that file was way old. Sorry. I found someones signature with Blackstar in it. I am guessing that is the most recent one. BlackStar OTA install: BlackStar v1.3.3.5 OTA.

How do I install this? Just copy it to my blackberry with Desktop Manager?
    Last edited by prskate2; 12-18-08 at 12:17 PM.
    12-18-08 12:15 PM
    I tried to open the .alx file and I was not able to. It took me to a page with some foreign language on it. Any suggestions?

Edit: I guess that file was way old. Sorry. I found someones signature with Blackstar in it. I am guessing that is the most recent one. BlackStar OTA install: BlackStar v1.3.3.5 OTA.

How do I install this? Just copy it to my blackberry with Desktop Manager?
    I will update my signature to read:

The OTA link is: http://gpsnavigation.googlecode.com/files/BlackStar.jad
    Type careful, I found this to be case sensitive when I tested it.

Just point to this with your BB browser to install Over The Air.
    12-18-08 12:31 PM
    Type careful, I found this to be case sensitive when I tested it.
    Yes, most non-MS operating systems sport this feature and always have.
    12-19-08 06:23 AM
    Yes, most non-MS operating systems sport this feature and always have.
    I know! I was mentioning it so those non-programmers out there would not get frustrated and give up on the download.

I started programing in C# over the past year and the fact that variables (of all things) are case sensitive still bites me in the ****. I guess I've been spoiled over these past 20 some years with other languages. You knkow it's difficult to teach an old fart new tricks.
    12-19-08 09:35 AM
    I know! I was mentioning it so those non-programmers out there would not get frustrated and give up on the download.
    Personally I'd be using one of those short URI services, typing in long strings into mobile phones can be rather annoying.... Well I do use short URIs where possible, and then people can click through on the links from there.

I started programing in C# over the past year and the fact that variables (of all things) are case sensitive still bites me in the ****. I guess I've been spoiled over these past 20 some years with other languages. You knkow it's difficult to teach an old fart new tricks.
    Only problem I ever had in this respect was someone's great circle formular they had coded in pascal which wasn't case sensitive, going to another language that was, other than that the easy trick is to keep everything lower case
    Last edited by delta_foxtrot2; 12-19-08 at 10:17 AM.
    12-19-08 09:55 AM
    I just downloaded it. It says It wans access to my GPS location information. Do I wish to grant access? If I do that it will cost me money because I don't have a gps plan. Which costs like $10 a month. What do I do?
    12-19-08 10:07 AM
    I just downloaded it. It says It wans access to my GPS location information. Do I wish to grant access? If I do that it will cost me money because I don't have a gps plan. Which costs like $10 a month. What do I do?
    You don't need a GPS plan on a GSM based BB, that is for maps/turn by turn navigation.
    12-19-08 10:21 AM
    I'm using AT&T and not paying anything. AT&T wanted me to pay 10 bucks a month to use their navigation program, TeleNav. I told them no. AT&T does not charge to simply use the GPS. You should call them up and verify that as I wouldn't want you to get charged because of something I said. But I have never heard of AT&T charging you to simply use the GPS in your BB. That's Verizon that does that. Good luck!
    12-19-08 10:22 AM
    Ok, major bug in the program. I go to the bb menu and press exit, it asks me if i want to close blackstar. I click yes.. nothing happens. It just opens the menu again.
    12-19-08 07:35 PM
    Ok, major bug in the program. I go to the bb menu and press exit, it asks me if i want to close blackstar. I click yes.. nothing happens. It just opens the menu again.
    Hmm it does not do that for me. What os version are you using?
    From the main phone screen hold the alt button while typing LGLG. This will bring up the event log. See if there is anything referenci ng BlackStar.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-08 08:07 PM
830 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD