I've just downloaded Blackstar for my 7290 to use with a Bluetooth GPS puck. However, when I go to run it I get an error message "Class javax.microedition.io.file.FileConnection not found". Is this fixable or is Blackstar not able to run on older hardware?

If the latter, can anyone recommend a free package to do the same thing which will run on a 7290? I have looked through swathes of websites and only found the demo version of Spot for Blackberry. $49 is a bit much for a package which I'll only be using once in a while!
    11-25-08 07:17 AM
    I've just downloaded Blackstar for my 7290 to use with a Bluetooth GPS puck. However, when I go to run it I get an error message "Class javax.microedition.io.file.FileConnection not found". Is this fixable or is Blackstar not able to run on older hardware?

If the latter, can anyone recommend a free package to do the same thing which will run on a 7290? I have looked through swathes of websites and only found the demo version of Spot for Blackberry. $49 is a bit much for a package which I'll only be using once in a while!
    Which OS version are you using?

Looking at the specs for the 7290, I would be concerned that the compass would be scrolling off the bottom of the screen.

You could try some of the earlier versions. The class mentioned is used for the file import. The last version before file importing is HERE.
    11-25-08 07:46 AM
    Thanks for that - I'm on version 4.1.0.292 according to the About page. I think that's the most recent one a 7290 can handle? I'll try the older version.

Edit, tried the older one, now getting "out of memory error"! Think I may be asking too much from the machine. But as I said, the Spot demo version did work so it must be technically possible. I just object to paying $49 when other Blackberry models can use free software, especially as I paid less than that for the device (wanted a phone I could tweak).
    Last edited by TrailDrive; 11-25-08 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Adding update
    11-25-08 09:04 AM
    Thank you for the fantastic application. I just updated to 1.3.2 and it looks great. I don't know if it's possible programmatically, but it would be really useful if B* had the option to override the Backlight Timeout setting on the device. Again, thanks and cheers!
    11-26-08 01:37 PM
    Thank you for the fantastic application. I just updated to 1.3.2 and it looks great. I don't know if it's possible programmatically, but it would be really useful if B* had the option to override the Backlight Timeout setting on the device. Again, thanks and cheers!
    Yes, it is in the plans to do that. But it is on the back burner for now since it is a signed class. One of these days I will get around to purchasing the signing tool and then I can address that.
    11-26-08 01:59 PM
    If you don't put out too many updates I'm happy to sign it for you.

Or something simple like svn update, double click cod, sign, svn commit etc
    11-26-08 08:23 PM
    How awesome! My BF is a fishing captain and clings to his Nextel because it gets service. I'm trying to bring him over to the darkside, this could do it
    11-26-08 09:01 PM
    If you don't put out too many updates I'm happy to sign it for you.

Or something simple like svn update, double click cod, sign, svn commit etc
    Thanks for the offer. Paul can sign too, I just didn't want to not be able to test my changes on my phone without pestering you guys. But I can't avoid it forever and I will keep you in mind if I need it. Thanks!
    11-26-08 09:26 PM
    How awesome! My BF is a fishing captain and clings to his Nextel because it gets service. I'm trying to bring him over to the darkside, this could do it
    Ah, if we can make a difference in one life, it is worth the effort
    11-26-08 09:27 PM
    Don't mean to sound dumb but will this GPS App work with the BB 8130.
    Thanks my first time on the site.
    11-27-08 04:54 PM
    Don't mean to sound dumb but will this GPS App work with the BB 8130.
    Thanks my first time on the site.
    Sure, as long as your cell provider doesn't block the GPS the way Verizon does.
    11-27-08 09:59 PM
    When I use my application loader wizard to load the app it tells me " No additional applications designed for your device were found" any ideas why
    11-28-08 07:00 AM
    When I use my application loader wizard to load the app it tells me " No additional applications designed for your device were found" any ideas why
    Did you store extract both the .alx and .cod files into the same folder on your computer?
    Did it add BlackStar to your list of applications? Make sure it is checked.
    11-28-08 10:30 AM
    I finally got it to load and it works great
    Thanks
    11-28-08 08:54 PM
    David, using the desktop manager to load apps is a pain, unless you have no data connectivity, in 4.5 at least, you can still load the app to the phone and go into the media player and then menu/explore and load that way which is still a bit of a pain.

You really should make it easier, especially with the availablity of 3G BBs now, to do OTA installs, even RIM has figured this out with OTA OS upgrades.
    11-28-08 11:37 PM
    I think I have an issue.

I have not read of my issue in 28 pages of this post, so please bear with me if this has been addressed elsewhere... (yeah, I searched too...)

My main screen is blank. The fields are there like Destination or Dir... It looks like it is ready to go, but no info is listed.

I have loaded a LOC file as a waypoint, set it as my destination and it goes back to the main screen but with no info.

I am using the Storm, and I have the GPS working in other apps... did I install it incorrectly? Or is there an Option setting I need to set to get it to work?

Thanks for any info. I have not done GeoCaching, but I can see the potential for more use than that with this software.

George
    12-06-08 12:53 PM
    I think I have an issue.

I have not read of my issue in 28 pages of this post, so please bear with me if this has been addressed elsewhere... (yeah, I searched too...)

My main screen is blank. The fields are there like Destination or Dir... It looks like it is ready to go, but no info is listed.

I have loaded a LOC file as a waypoint, set it as my destination and it goes back to the main screen but with no info.

I am using the Storm, and I have the GPS working in other apps... did I install it incorrectly? Or is there an Option setting I need to set to get it to work?

Thanks for any info. I have not done GeoCaching, but I can see the potential for more use than that with this software.

George
    I haven't heard from anyone else running BlackStar on a Storm. Man I bet that looks cool on a Storm (assuming it will work???) It would be interesting to hear from the "Storm" people to see if their are any issues with that device. Do you get the compass image?
    12-06-08 01:12 PM
    No. Compass image? Sweeet.

What I get is a form that looks like it should be filled out, but alas no info. I load the LOC file and it goes back to that start screen but again with no info filled in.
    12-06-08 01:14 PM
    I think I have an issue.

George
    Is there a line at the top of the screen that says "Searching for Satellites" with a counter that increments every second?

If so, then it is not getting a signal from the GPS or the GPS is not getting a satellite lock.

Is your GPS turned on?
    12-06-08 01:54 PM
    No Searching text. My GPS is working with Nav4All and BB maps just fine.

I figure there is a setting or something I did installing maybe.
    12-06-08 03:31 PM
    Try checking the Event Log on your phone. Open BlackStar let it sit for a few seconds, then close it. Then hold the alt key and type LGLG. I assume that will work the same way on the Storm. This will open the event log. See if anything is listed for BlackStar. If so, click on it to open it.
    12-06-08 05:18 PM
    I downloaded a Storm Simulator (easier than buying my own Storm ). It ran fine on the simulator, so that was encouraging. Now we need to figure out why it won't work on yours.

I am starting to wonder if it is a font issue. We utilize the system fonts. If you go into (on your phone, not B*) Options/Screen keyboard/ Font Family what font Family is selected?
    12-06-08 06:27 PM
    Hello for some reason my Computer wont let me upload the software. Is there a OTA version yet or no? Iam not computer savy so have patience with me...Thanks all
    12-07-08 08:26 AM
    Hello for some reason my Computer wont let me upload the software. Is there a OTA version yet or no? Iam not computer savy so have patience with me...Thanks all
    Not with this version. But we are planning a new release within a few days and hopefully that one will be available OTA if all goes well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 08:39 AM
    ok i got it to load through my desktop mgr it looks good but my compass does not stop moving even with me sitting still.. hmm
    12-07-08 08:46 AM
830 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD