Excitement and disappointment over Apple's new products sent its stock on a roller coaster ride Tuesday as�investors reacted to a bevy of announcements.
    Apple's stock ended down just 0.4% after a volatile day during which the view on Wall Street appeared to be that the news didn't match up to the sky-high expectations and hype.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 02:29 AM
    The new phones were not a surprise, they were already factored into the price of the stock. So a minor fall in the price of the stock doesn't mean anything.
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    09-10-14 02:38 AM
    Doesn't mean a thing, they will sell tens of millions of the iPhone 6, 6+ and Apple Watch and add a few billion more to their war chest. What's more of a shock is how can BlackBerry justify 749.00 for the passport?

I would have thought they would have price the device lower then the competition to get folks to cross over to OS10?

If they think the corporate side is not looking a value added products,they are dead wrong. Looks like I will have to wait until the price drops after a couple of months because of poor sales.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1154)
    09-10-14 03:11 AM
    Doesn't mean a thing, they will sell tens of millions of the iPhone 6, 6+ and Apple Watch and add a few billion more to their war chest. What's more of a shock is how can BlackBerry justify 749.00 for the passport?

I would have thought they would have price the device lower then the competition to get folks to cross over to OS10?

If they think the corporate side is not looking a value added products,they are dead wrong. Looks like I will have to wait until the price drops after a couple of months because of poor sales.

Ummmm just for the record the iPhone 6 starts at 699 with

- no OIS
    - still 326 PPI
    - just 16GB non expandable storage

From a bigger screen to a bigger battery, better antenna, higher dense screen, better speakers, expandable storage, OIS and a hardware keyboard the Passport exceeds the base model heavily and I see much more value in that money spent on a Passport than an iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    Allwyn John and Playbook007 like this.
    09-10-14 03:48 AM
    The new phones were not a surprise, they were already factored into the price of the stock. So a minor fall in the price of the stock doesn't mean anything.

Yes, this ^

I've read a couple of reports that the markets weren't that taken by the watch which might explain the blip.
    09-10-14 04:00 AM

omg, start realising that those prices are not in the usa/canada. everywhere else in the world every tech product is priced higher. an iphone here in hungary starts at $1200, wait for launch at least beefore raging and spreading misinformation
    Last edited by dvarnai; 09-10-14 at 04:53 AM.
    09-10-14 04:22 AM
    Something people should think about when talking about pricing: The market supports the price of a product, meaning that a product will sell for the price people feel the product warrants. Bottom line, that 699 - 1200 dollar whatever price iphone will sell tens of millions. The passport - anything BlackBerry - needs to be priced competitively as there is low interest in their products. They could be priced out of the market. Needs to be more affordable, or the passport needs to not be offered to the consumer.
    Sent using tapatalk!
    JeepBB, bakron1 and anon(5876743) like this.
    09-10-14 04:59 AM
    Yes, this ^

I've read a couple of reports that the markets weren't that taken by the watch which might explain the blip.

It's not that the market was not taken by the watch (many were not) but it is also the fact that the watch is not available for sale. Investors were expecting the double whammy, in time for the holiday season! Ooops :P
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-10-14 05:01 AM
    It wasn't really a minor fall... it decreased from a session high of 103, so there was a disappointment, mainly because of the Apple Watch

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 05:10 AM
    Ummmm just for the record the iPhone 6 starts at 699 with

- no OIS
    - still 326 PPI
    - just 16GB non expandable storage

From a bigger screen to a bigger battery, better antenna, higher dense screen, better speakers, expandable storage, OIS and a hardware keyboard the Passport exceeds the base model heavily and I see much more value in that money spent on a Passport than an iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    Hum!!!!

Better customer support
    Better App ecosystem
    Better resale value (if you don't like it)
    More "value added" in the eyes of the consumer
    Product has been embedded into the social fabric here in the USA at least

I love my Blackberry z30 and I will probably get a passport if and when the price comes down to reality. Sorry but Blackberry does not have the name they once had and they must price their products below what the competition has and they better have equal or better spec's to attract someone who might be willing to cross over.

The corporate world and enterprise are only going to buy a limited amount of devices and from what I have seen here in the USA, they have been Samsung and Apple products and not Blackberry. For those of you who think the USA is not the market it once was, your dead wrong my friends and the smart ones i.e. Samsung and Apple have realized this and are making billions doing it. Just basic business concepts, folks.
    09-10-14 05:38 AM
    Yes, this ^

They also usually drop after announcements, then rise after the pre-orders and/or first weekend sales are announced. I wouldn't read too much into this.

I suspect a lot of people (including the folks I watched this with) are waiting to see more about what they'd do with the watch vs. the $350 they'd spend on it. It didn't seem to generate the same "oh cool - must buy now" reaction that the iPhone and iPad did.

I'm still willing to be convinced though.
    q649 likes this.
    09-10-14 05:51 AM
    If the thought that BB will win only when Apple fails is a pretty pathetic way of looking at things.
    Poirots Progeny and Fnen90 like this.
    09-10-14 05:53 AM
    Would $50 be enough to have iPhone users switch to BlackBerry?

Most likely not. Actually, almost definitely not.

The move to BlackBerry would have to be motivated by a bunch of other reasons, most of which would have to be grounded on the OS features and other offerings that BB10 provides. Not a one time $50 differential.

So pricing a flagship phone below the iPhone 6 or Android device is not a dumb move as others have expressed. Pricing it competitively and selling the benefits of a BlackBerry is the proper approach.

IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 05:53 AM
    Timmy is running apple on auto pilot as per Steves request, managing inventory and supply chains. Innovation left with Steve.

Posted via CB10
    Playbook007 likes this.
    09-10-14 06:02 AM
    Timmy is running apple on auto pilot as per Steves request, managing inventory and supply chains. Innovation left with Steve.

Posted via CB10
    That must be why they are still one of the biggest corporations in the world and growing.

Poirots Progeny and q649 like this.
    09-10-14 06:08 AM
    Hum!!!!

Better customer support
    Better App ecosystem
    Better resale value (if you don't like it)
    More "value added" in the eyes of the consumer
    Product has been embedded into the social fabric here in the USA at least

I love my Blackberry z30 and I will probably get a passport if and when the price comes down to reality. Sorry but Blackberry does not have the name they once had and they must price their products below what the competition has and they better have equal or better spec's to attract someone who might be willing to cross over.

The corporate world and enterprise are only going to buy a limited amount of devices and from what I have seen here in the USA, they have been Samsung and Apple products and not Blackberry. For those of you who think the USA is not the market it once was, your dead wrong my friends and the smart ones i.e. Samsung and Apple have realized this and are making billions doing it. Just basic business concepts, folks.
    Agree somewhat, however let's be frank, in recent years we tend to be a very Ying or Yang society...we don't generally look at choices 3, 4 or beyond !!

Posted on CB10 via my Snappy Q5
    09-10-14 06:17 AM
    Something people should think about when talking about pricing: The market supports the price of a product, meaning that a product will sell for the price people feel the product warrants. Bottom line, that 699 - 1200 dollar whatever price iphone will sell tens of millions. The passport - anything BlackBerry - needs to be priced competitively as there is low interest in their products. They could be priced out of the market. Needs to be more affordable, or the passport needs to not be offered to the consumer.
    Sent using tapatalk!
    What he said. ^

Z10
    09-10-14 06:26 AM
    The issue is not with the watch, it's when it will be available. Expectations where for it to be available before holiday season this year.

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    09-10-14 06:27 AM
    wars of "soon to be a BlackBerry marketing directors".

Hehehe
    09-10-14 06:28 AM