Hmmm...

Everything We Know So Far about the Apple Car

"Last week multiple reports emerged that Apple had leased some office space in Kanata, Ontario. The facility in the Kanata Research Park positions the Apple to continue their poaching spree of automotive executives and experts from around the world. This time their aim is likely to be employees of Blackberry�s QNX Software Systems division, which unveiled prototypes of its autonomous vehicle technology at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas earlier this year."

Given that Apple's Steve Zadesky left the project, the grass may not be that much greener on the other side.
    01-27-16 12:00 AM
    That's interesting. Let's see how they work out.
    01-27-16 12:13 AM
    Well, one company just reported $76 billion in revenue and is making a long-term investment in mobility and the other is a subsidiary of a company that is downsizing.
    MikeX74, techvisor and Eumaeus like this.
    01-27-16 12:31 AM
    lol if any of the posters here get a lucrative job offer from Apple, they will accept it. no matter how much they dissed apple in the past.
    TgeekB and techvisor like this.
    01-27-16 04:23 AM
    Well, one company just reported $76 billion in revenue and is making a long-term investment in mobility and the other is a subsidiary of a company that is downsizing.
    It's the same in any manufacturing sector, people want to work for the company that is generating a larger revenue stream and has long term plans for the future, not a company who is downsizing because of loss of market share, just basic business concepts in my eyes.
    01-27-16 04:25 AM
    Dad's going to be applying there so we will see how that goes

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 07:41 AM
    Apple won't hire qnx people, According to Elon Musk, failed Tesla engineers end up at Apple.... LOL...
    TGR1 and techvisor like this.
    01-27-16 08:52 AM
    Apple is rolling in money. As long as the former qnx workers milk apple for all its got, I say good on em.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 09:21 AM
    Apple is rolling in money. As long as the former qnx workers milk apple for all its got, I say good on em.
    Or maybe they can leverage their talents to get in on the ground floor at a company that has a long-term strategy and ability to be a major presence in mobility. There's no limit to how far a good engineer can go in this situation. We're talking about some major opportunities, here, to design and build actual vehicles from the ground up and become industry leaders.

Or, wait to see what happens at their current position at Blackberry and QNX.
    Last edited by early2bed; 01-27-16 at 09:46 AM.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-27-16 09:30 AM
    Apple didn't get where it is by creating a culture where this attitude thrives. Any employee at Apple that is attempting to "milk [it] for all its got" won't last very long.
    techvisor and Eumaeus like this.
    01-27-16 10:14 AM
    Apple didn't get where it is by creating a culture where this attitude thrives. Any employee at Apple that is attempting to "milk [it] for all its got" won't last very long.
    My brother's former co-worker is an engineer at Apple. Says it is tremendously hard work but also likes his job.
    TgeekB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    01-27-16 11:49 AM
    They aren't going to hire any old QNX peeps. Head of design teams, project leaders: people who wouldn't have a problem finding another job anyways, those are the type that are going to get poached and get a big salary bump.

More than QNX, there are sub-contractors in the area who will also have employees leave for Apple.

This probably won't happen to QNX but smaller companies can have enough key employees leave that it cripples them.

Battery maker A123 Systems has filed court documents related to the new suit that say Apple has been aggressively pursuing its project-leading engineers, to the extent that the beleaguered A123 Systems (it filed for bankruptcy protection in 2012) has had to shut down some of the projects they’d been leading.
    01-27-16 12:00 PM
    Apple isn't known to be a highly competitive salary company (as confirmed by illegal agreements that they got away with paltry settlement). They overwork employees and limit ideas. Over the years, I've read several blogs from former employees who left for greener grass, and while they don't say the worst things, they certainly don't consider it their ideal job, hence leaving.

Given the Canadian dollar, I can see Apple getting a nice return on investment.

When my friends left where I work, I got substantial raise, but I'm not happier than when I worked with people I enjoyed working with. The raise kept me there, but satisfaction is no where near where it was before.

Once people pay off their debts and money becomes less of a burden, high quality engineers want other things, like flexibility and vacation time, etc.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-16 03:11 PM
    It's the same in any manufacturing sector, people want to work for the company that is generating a larger revenue stream and has long term plans for the future, not a company who is downsizing because of loss of market share, just basic business concepts in my eyes.
    On the other hand, if you had ended up with one of the discontinued Google (or Microsoft) projects of the past, you'd even more likely be looking for a job now ... just my guess...

:-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    01-27-16 03:24 PM
    On the other hand, if you had ended up with one of the discontinued Google (or Microsoft) projects of the past, you'd even more likely be looking for a job now ... just my guess...

:-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    Good valid point.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    01-27-16 06:18 PM
    What is this about poached apples?
    01-27-16 07:23 PM
    What is this about poached apples?
    1. Remove the core from apple, leaving the bottom intact.
    2. Place apple in a small bowl with a tiny bit of water.
    3. Add some brown sugar, cinnamon and butter inside.
    4. Microwave
    5. Profit

Poached apples, right?
    TgeekB, Elephant_Canyon and FF22 like this.
    01-27-16 08:04 PM
    Hmmm...

Everything We Know So Far about the Apple Car

"Last week multiple reports emerged that Apple had leased some office space in Kanata, Ontario. The facility in the Kanata Research Park positions the Apple to continue their poaching spree of automotive executives and experts from around the world. This time their aim is likely to be employees of Blackberry’s QNX Software Systems division, which unveiled prototypes of its autonomous vehicle technology at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas earlier this year."

Given that Apple's Steve Zadesky left the project, the grass may not be that much greener on the other side.
    They say that about any company that moves to Waterloo. It's just logical analysis. Before it was Google, then Apple in 2013, and now Apple again. The saga continues.
    01-27-16 09:01 PM
    They say that about any company that moves to Waterloo. It's just logical analysis. Before it was Google, then Apple in 2013, and now Apple again. The saga continues.
    Do we know of any prominent BB employees that went over to Google when they moved into Kitchener?
    01-29-16 06:36 PM
    From what I have read the Apple car project is having a hard time getting off the ground. Google even noted they would partner with an existing automobile manufacturer. I would not be surprised to see Apple pull the plug on the car idea. They are having a hard time in the TV realm they are attempting to break into as well. If the iPhone sales continue a downward trend due to saturation expect them to dump all the other projects. The iPhone is their bread and butter. IPAD sales dropped 25 percent last quarter. High end expensive mobile devices are facing real pressure.

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    luc4625 likes this.
    01-30-16 12:05 AM
    I agree. It is just plain common sense.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-16 12:53 AM
    Do we know of any prominent BB employees that went over to Google when they moved into Kitchener?
    No... but Samsung.. well that's a different story. Samsung has a ton of former BlackBerry talent.
    01-30-16 02:44 AM
    Vivek?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-16 08:37 AM
    Vivek?

Posted via CB10
    He at Apple now
    01-30-16 08:56 AM
    It occurs to me that if Apple really wanted QNX or any of its employees, they'd try(and probably succeed) to acquire BlackBerry itself, then assign personnel from QNX to their car project.
    01-30-16 10:44 AM
35 12