(Made you look).

I read this a lot of CrackBerry.com. While I do have many issues with how the media reports on BlackBerry (and other tech companies too), I doubt it really has anything whatsoever to do with "paid media hit pieces", a "vast media conspiracy" or anything of the sort.

I think it's much simpler.

1. Negative stories attract visits/readership. Look at this forum on any given day. Like the Green Goblin says in the first Spider-Man movie, the only thing people love more than a hero is to watch a hero fall.

2. Poor reasearch. For a variety of reasons (budget cuts, staff reductions, speed of the net), the media often doesn't report the way it used to. They don't always spend the time researching, finding credible sources etc. It's a race to get information up and it's often missing stuff, incorrect or blown out of proportion. Look at the stories today regarding the DOD. "DOD dropping 600K BlackBerry for iPhone! Blackberry doomed!" Oh wait - the DOD refused this completely. Look at when the New York Times declared that "BlackBerry 10 is off to a slow start in Canada". The reporter's methodology was to walk into one mall, in one city, in one province and then make a conclusion about the entire country. How many others assumed BlackBerry peaked in 2007 and dropped off steadily since?

3. Media outlets have their biases too. So do all people. Anyone not think CrackBerry doesn't? Some are distinctly anti-BlackBerry. See Techcrunch and Gizmodo. Some are critical but report positives as well. Some are glowingly positive. Some are balanced and objective and weigh pros and cons.

Put those three factors together and then throw in the many legit issues facing BlackBerry and caused by BlackBerry and you get what we have now in the media. Where stories are correct, partially correct, quite, incorrect ... and all happening at break neck speed.

But Tim Cook cackling and paying the media to kill BlackBerry? I seriously doubt it. In fact, I was listening to iMore tonight and found an older podcast talking about the media and Apple ... and saying the exact same things as we often say about the media. It was startling actually.

For everyone who thinks the media is a "paid hit piece writer that's out to kill BlackBerry", recommend you listen to this podcast by Rene Ritchie. iMore show 333: Apple is doomed. Again. | iMore.com

And please, even though it's iMore, please don't dismiss it. Rene is one of the most knowledgeable and objective bloggers I've heard and displays none of the snotty, dismissive arrogance sometimes attributed to Apple tech bloggers. It's good and eye opening and worth listening too.
    03-21-13 06:12 PM
    i will hit it up later tonight! and I agree that apple isnt footing the bill.
    03-21-13 06:15 PM
    Thanks for not being an i-Diot. (get it? )I would have trashed your post had it actually been what the title suggests - with the same reasons you gave!
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-21-13 06:32 PM
    Thanks for not being an i-Diot. (get it? )I would have trashed your post had it actually been what the title suggests - with the same reasons you gave!
    Yeah. I actually bypassed it totally at first thinking 'not another one of these' lol.

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    03-21-13 08:10 PM