Its not what they invented, its what they patented. We can blame the patent system but not Apple for protecting what they legally own.
    ...and THIS is the part people just don't want to accept or are just plain unable to process.

There are times that I swear this blind hatred for all things Apple is akin to a mental disorder.
    09-01-12 08:12 PM
    The Patent System is certainly at fault

Apple knows how flawed the system is and they have always been willing to spend money to patent everything they can, if it goes threw win for them, if it doesn't they just keep filing more.

The rules of trade dress being what they are just go to show how far Apple goes, them trying to patent the wedge shaped laptop, and their magnetic power connector, they are brilliant as finding things to patent that should have been patented already or most would think is too common sense to patent and they are successful.
    aha, Bobcat665 and bungaboy like this.
    09-01-12 09:21 PM
    ...and THIS is the part people just don't want to accept or are just plain unable to process.

There are times that I swear this blind hatred for all things Apple is akin to a mental disorder.
    It's fanboy peer pressure. You love BB, so all your buds have to know just how much you hate Apple products. There's hated for Apple on the Android Central forums too, but not like there is here.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-01-12 09:29 PM

Just because you have patents does not mean you should exercise your "rights" to hold back an entire industry for your OWN gain.

Samsung, Motorola, Intel, Nokia, Lenovo, HP, RIM and many other very innovative companies own substantially more patents yet do you see them doing things like this? How can having these patents be an excuse for this absolutely ridiculous behavior?

Would it be okay for Motorola/Google to shut down the entire mobile industry because of their very broad "cellular" patent that Motorola owns?

What's actually crazy is how people are BLIND to the very obvious self-jerking, pompous, evil motives behind apple's patent litigation BS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    09-01-12 09:58 PM
    Just because you have patents does not mean you should exercise your "rights" to hold back an entire industry for your OWN gain.

Samsung, Motorola, Intel, Nokia, Lenovo, HP, RIM and many other very innovative companies own substantially more patents yet do you see them doing things like this? How can having these patents be an excuse for this absolutely ridiculous behavior?

Would it be okay for Motorola/Google to shut down the entire mobile industry because of their very broad "cellular" patent that Motorola owns?

What's actually crazy is how people are BLIND to the very obvious self-jerking, pompous, evil motives behind apple's patent litigation BS.
    First of all you are talking in false equivalencies . What part of the mobile industry exactly has Apple shut down? What indications are there that this ONE win on Apples behalf, in ONE country has the potential to materially do so?

Disagree with the patent system all you want but it is the system that is in place and until IT changes then railing against Apple or anyone else for protecting their interests is so far off the mark as to be laughable.

Just one other samll point, when you describe a company with terms such as "evil motives" you have to know that your argument is a completely lost cause.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-01-12 at 10:54 PM.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    09-01-12 10:49 PM
    The only thing that will stop apple is another company that changes the rules again. If it wasn't for Apple (and Google) the Internet would be buzzing with people saying we have to stop Microsoft from controlling computing. Time and change will diminish apple like it does all tech companies.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    bungaboy and Telespielstube like this.
    09-01-12 11:07 PM
    When the apple samsung fell through I was instantly pissed at apple and I have never even owned a damn android product in my life. I have had apple products and currently own the 4s. It was just plain crossing the line, because I actually like samsung.
    09-02-12 12:52 AM
    When the apple samsung fell through I was instantly pissed at apple and I have never even owned a damn android product in my life. I have had apple products and currently own the 4s. It was just plain crossing the line, because I actually like samsung.
    agreed

i just finished watchign the video and i really have to totally agree, i'm not saying Apple didn't innovate, they reinnovated the smartphone and the tablet, they made then a simple easy to use touchscreen device with simple consumer functions like gaming and multimedia.

since therelease of the iphone the smarthone market has been pushed violently towards being multimedia devices with hundreds of thousands of apps, but Apple failed to keep the PHONE part of smartphone in check, sure it is able to be used as a communication tool but as its nowhere near the best at it, in a way it is nowhere near the best at what they innovated either, Androids do a better job of apps and a better job at browsing and video watching, Apple does the camera and that i will give them
    09-02-12 03:00 AM
    First of all you are talking in false equivalencies . What part of the mobile industry exactly has Apple shut down? What indications are there that this ONE win on Apples behalf, in ONE country has the potential to materially do so?

Disagree with the patent system all you want but it is the system that is in place and until IT changes then railing against Apple or anyone else for protecting their interests is so far off the mark as to be laughable.

Just one other samll point, when you describe a company with terms such as "evil motives" you have to know that your argument is a completely lost cause.
    For you to assume apple is only " protecting their interest" is just as naive of an assumption as anyone's. You view it as them be honorable in respect to their own.... "property". But I see it for what it really is. A simple way out. Control a sector of tech and stifle whatever potential anyone may have without having to compete in the market, but rather the courtroom. How do I know this is the case? Because apple has chosen to hone down on the second most profitable company in mobile. They have chosen to target every mobile product made by that manufacturer, regardless of whether or not it actually infringes on anything in hopes of another accidental slaughter produced by the u.s. court system. It has taken advantage of this flawed system in hopes of taking control of Samsung's share of the mobile market along with its own (which is 99% of it). Why hasn't apple when after HTC, Motorola or lg? Because they make little to no market profit in contrast to Samsung.

What i don't understand is how people give in to the legal system so vicariously in favor of the plaintiff so much, and make it always seem as if whoever is in the drivers seat so-to-speak, is never at fault for wrong doing. How is this not seen as a greedy, and yes, evil (please, let's not assume this word is fictional) attempt of harming an almost pure consumer market? If this is all okay with you though, and you would be okay with Apple exercising its rights to ban all Samsung products, then I guess the passion we contain for mobile are nowhere on the same level.

09-02-12 07:42 AM
    The thing with Apple is they don't really innovate, they just take an existing product and market it in such a way that people think they have to have it.

It's like audi vs skoda. An audi a4 is just a skoda octavia with a different badge and a 7 grand price hike for the privilege, but people will pay that for the brand. In the same way apple macbook is just a low specced ultrabook with a whopping price tag, but importantly it has the fruity logo on the lid

I don't dislike apple, heck you have to admire a company that could sell belly button fluff and still have people queuing up to throw money at them. That being said patent offices do need to grow a backbone and stop letting them patent everything under the sun... Before long I'm not gonna be able to fart without paying royalties (iFart anyone?)
    Syrous44 likes this.
    09-02-12 08:02 AM
    ^ I am not even going to bother re-quoting any of that or respond to most of it as most of it is pure nonsense.

What I will address is:

1) Show me where I stated my view of Apple as being honorable. Right, I didn't. What I did state is that this pathological hatred of the company is borne out of ridiculous exaggeration and poisonous group think that I THINK borders on a mental disorder.

2) The legal system notwithstanding, show me where I at any time absolved Apple or anyone else of fault, or, just to make this easy for you, stated where the patent system was not / is not being misused. Again, I didn't. You did.

3) I am fully aware that "evil" is not a a purely fictional word. Now as for you, go back and re-read what you quoted because what I ACTUALLY said (as did you) was "evil motives" (because context matters)." When you are able to incontrovertibly demonstrate that YOU know the MOTIVES behind the actions that Apple or any other company for that matter takes then you have something to speak on. Until such time it is safe to assume you are speaking from bias, conjecture, emotion and a misguided hatred of an entity that whether you like it or not is operating within the scope of the law. One more time, it is not Apple that needs changing, it is the patent law system that does.
    09-02-12 08:07 AM
    . One more time, it is not Apple that needs changing, it is the patent law system that does.
    For the most part I agree until this line.

it is BOTH that need changing, Apple needs to use FRAND when they own the patent and not just expect FRAND from other OEM's. Offering samsung $20-30 per device for their few patents is far from a FRAND use of their patent, it is very much a unreasonable expectation.

The Patent system in the US is ridiculous, the enforcement of patent claims and the trials are laughable, and the big company's like Apple, and even Oracle abuse it to the point that if you can't litigate you can't compete
    09-02-12 08:27 AM
    First, calling Samsung "innovative" is a joke, it's well known that the company waits until a technology is developed before copying it at lower cost, sometimes using technology that infringes on other. To give you general examples just look at the lawsuit from Osram for LED technology, or even infringement lawsuits against Samsung's chemical division. Samsung is very good at stepping in at the right time once a technology is developed and proven.

Second, you're assuming that the companies you mention rarely sue anyone. The Apple-Samsung lawsuits are a very public event and distort the fact that there are constant lawsuits going on that no one but lawyers know about. So yes, the companies you mention have teams of lawyers that are constantly threatening other companies, you just never hear of it.
    09-02-12 08:28 AM
    i am blackberry fun but to say that apple has not invented anything is just wrong imo. having said that the problem is with patents because certain patents should not be awarded to apple.

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    09-02-12 08:38 AM
    First, calling Samsung "innovative" is a joke, it's well known that the company waits until a technology is developed before copying it at lower cost, sometimes using technology that infringes on other. To give you general examples just look at the lawsuit from Osram for LED technology, or even infringement lawsuits against Samsung's chemical division. Samsung is very good at stepping in at the right time once a technology is developed and proven.
    You basically summed up apple as well with your samsung rant. Apple does the exact same thing. Its nothing more then a marketing company that takes things here and there from others and makes a product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-02-12 08:38 AM
    For you to assume apple is only " protecting their interest" is just as naive of an assumption as anyone's. You view it as them be honorable in respect to their own.... "property". But I see it for what it really is. A simple way out. Control a sector of tech and stifle whatever potential anyone may have without having to compete in the market, but rather the courtroom. How do I know this is the case? Because apple has chosen to hone down on the second most profitable company in mobile. They have chosen to target every mobile product made by that manufacturer, regardless of whether or not it actually infringes on anything in hopes of another accidental slaughter produced by the u.s. court system. It has taken advantage of this flawed system in hopes of taking control of Samsung's share of the mobile market along with its own (which is 99% of it). Why hasn't apple when after HTC, Motorola or lg? Because they make little to no market profit in contrast to Samsung.

What i don't understand is how people give in to the legal system so vicariously in favor of the plaintiff so much, and make it always seem as if whoever is in the drivers seat so-to-speak, is never at fault for wrong doing. How is this not seen as a greedy, and yes, evil (please, let's not assume this word is fictional) attempt of harming an almost pure consumer market? If this is all okay with you though, and you would be okay with Apple exercising its rights to ban all Samsung products, then I guess the passion we contain for mobile are nowhere on the same level.

This is all about business, which you seem to be too naive to understand. Have some coffee, wake up, and smell the REAL world.
    Oh, and here's a movie tag line, that sums it all up...."It's nothing personal, just business".
    09-02-12 09:07 AM
    Was there any glass screened, Capacitive phone before the iPhone? Did any of them have an accelerometer built in? How many of them had a full, robust webkit browser built in? How many had a 3D GPU for UI acceleration?

Go and look at the video when Apple introduced the iPhone...all those technologies tightly put together to innovate in the mobile space and ensuring that for years afterwards, most other OEMs would pursue the 'glass slab' look as a way of winning over the consumer space. Even RIM with the Storm tried to get in on the action.

If Apple didn't innovate with the iPhone (UI, hardware, sensors), it means there's no ounce of innovation in BB10 too. It works both ways
    09-02-12 09:13 AM
    You basically summed up apple as well with your samsung rant. Apple does the exact same thing. Its nothing more then a marketing company that takes things here and there from others and makes a product.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ah, you mean like RIM that took things from QNX and TAT and is now marketing BB10 to carriers and Tech bloggers?
    09-02-12 09:14 AM
    If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em.

Business 101.

It is clear that Samsung, who makes IPhone parts used some of that information in making their own phones.
    I suspect other phone makers have as well, but to a lesser degree.
    Sammy left the door wide open for this and Apple just walked in and is taking advantage of it.

If you held patents that a maker of your phone were using to make their own phone, I would bet you would be suing as well.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    09-02-12 09:17 AM
    i wish i had the time to watch the whole 20 minute video i watched 3 minutes of it so far. so far i get apple is no innovator stop elieveing their crap
    Even the guy in the video said Apple innovates but doesn't invent. i'm not sure what video you were watching.

I didn't think even the most virulent Apple hater in a drunken rage could say Apple didn't/doesn't innovate...but then you show up.

Anyone who says Apple didn't innovate with the iPhone doesn't know anything about tech.
    09-02-12 09:27 AM

I wouldn't call the personification of large corporations a mental illness but I get what you're saying . The battle between the sinister/evil apple versus the angelic RIM or <insert adjective> Samsung sometimes seems like a star wars sequel. Some posters here (and on android central) really take it to new levels.
    09-02-12 09:33 AM
    At least there's a special phone that let's us identify vain, unintelligent, lower class morons.

My hate for them isn't blind either. They sell a ty touch phone where the antenna doesn't work at certain angles, the operating system is ridiculously locked down, and by now its very well known only an would buy their phone.
    Last edited by santino a; 09-02-12 at 10:06 AM.
    reeneebob likes this.
    09-02-12 10:03 AM
    Recipes can be equated to innovation. Invention and innovation are completely different.

Very few companies invent anything. What did RIM invent? What did Samsung invent? Innovation is different and can be patented, period.

Most of you are just petty Apple haters. Let's turn this same discussion to what RIM invented.

The patents were given and should be defended. Everything is not free in life and able to copied. RIM would and should defend its patents as well.

There is no holding back an industry or killing innovation. Grow up. People can pay to license, just like MS did. Apple has gone after other companies and so has Microsoft. Heck they are all suing each other. RIM has sued people for infringement.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 09-02-12 at 10:15 AM.
    09-02-12 10:11 AM
    The thing with Apple is they don't really innovate, they just take an existing product and market it in such a way that people think they have to have it.
    So the iphone was taking an existing product (mobile phone) and marketing it. From the video, don't forget about them adding the "garlic" first.

Very few (if any) of the individual components would have been created by Apple, but that combination that created a finished product was, and it's that combination that they're going to court to protect.

Can you name anything that is a "new" invention (ever) and not just a combination of pre-existing items used together in a way that hasn't been done before?
    09-02-12 10:25 AM
    Even the guy in the video said Apple innovates but doesn't invent. i'm not sure what video you were watching.

I didn't think even the most virulent Apple hater in a drunken rage could say Apple didn't/doesn't innovate...but then you show up.

Anyone who says Apple didn't innovate with the iPhone doesn't know anything about tech.
    If it's one thing I've realized, the poster in question (and a scary amount of others) simply hate Apple. Full stop. Apple could cure cancer and they would berate Apple for it (but I bet they'd be first in line for the cure if needed). Appleisthedevil SteveJobsWasEvil grrr Argh. Wash rinse repeat.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    amazinglygraceless and tack like this.
    09-02-12 10:42 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD