Put what next to an EVO for what bulldawg and where...a blackberry...which one...do you know what sweeping means? My 9700 never lags. Seriously do you even know what you are talking about?
    Yes, smarty, I do. Take your 9700, make REAL sure you are in a 3G area, to keep it reasonably fair. For you, you need remember to make sure BOTH devices are turned on and have signal. And, if one is on wifi, they both are. Then, type the same web address into the stock browser on both machines (you do know how to do that don't you?????) and then you press enter at the same time. Watch what happens. I have a friends with Incredibles and one with an EVO, and several with 9700, 9000 and 9650's. Getting to put the devices side by side is really interesting and fun.

Now, cite one example of a sweeping comment I made? Either put up or shut up. Oh, I guess saying anything is faster than your 9700 is a "sweeping comment." Truth hurts.
    Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 07-07-10 at 09:57 PM.
    07-07-10 09:48 PM
    and so another thread drops to virtual name-calling and gets put onto the "ignore" list
    07-07-10 10:08 PM
    From my point of view, you are missing an integral part of having a hand held computer. If one wants only a messaging device, that is limiting the possibilities of what one can do. I would like to be able to change my airline ticket while I am moving between gates and check my bank account without too much hassle. Something Berries aren't good at, now are they? Try to log into Travelocity....

And, BTW, I bet every person on here has a computer, so don't feel like you are special. I don't like carrying around 22 inch monitors, but to each their own.
    AFAIAC it is not a hand held computer. That's not what I bought. I bought a phone. First and foremost. I bought this and traded "up" from an iPhone because my Bold does everything I need it to do and more. Phone calls are amazing, messaging (SMS, BBM and email) is amazing and it is easy to use and fully configurable. I just don't understand wanting to browse the web on a phone of any size.

My point about having a computer with a WS monitor still stands. That's what I have a computer for...to browse, etc. I don't need my phone to do that. If you do, then I guess you are off to iPhone or Android land. Each to their own. I wouldn't trade this Bold for anything.
    07-07-10 10:33 PM
    You are right on. Rim will continue to lose market share to Apple and Other companies that care about their users. I compare it to Inteliivision Mattel had the best video game system but did not support the console with updated games - it got to be about quantity, not quality.

I wish I was wrong - loved the phone until I saw the Iphone staying cool while BB started to drool.
    07-07-10 10:33 PM
    Take it easy bulldawg...you said blackberry vs the EVO, that was sweeping. By the way I have done your challenge on wifi with the android phones that came out when my 9700 did and I won or tied. None of this matters though does it? Do you have what you want? I do.
    07-07-10 10:38 PM
    AFAIAC it is not a hand held computer. That's not what I bought. I bought a phone. First and foremost. I bought this and traded "up" from an iPhone because my Bold does everything I need it to do and more. Phone calls are amazing, messaging (SMS, BBM and email) is amazing and it is easy to use and fully configurable. I just don't understand wanting to browse the web on a phone of any size.

My point about having a computer with a WS monitor still stands. That's what I have a computer for...to browse, etc. I don't need my phone to do that. If you do, then I guess you are off to iPhone or Android land. Each to their own. I wouldn't trade this Bold for anything.
    To each his own, indeed. I would imagine I travel more than you do, which is why the added functionality is important to me. It isn't always convenient to do quick surfing from the laptop when I am on the move. That's the allure of a nearly fully functional browser.

I wish RIM had a more capable browser, because I would have the best of all worlds. But they don't. So, I am stuck waiting on OS 6 to see what it really is, as I am not going to buy any BB and wait on VZW to issue the update, cause they take wayyyy too long to do that.

But, as I said earlier, I hope everyone is happy with their choice of features.
    07-07-10 10:39 PM
    Take it easy bulldawg...you said blackberry vs the EVO, that was sweeping. By the way I have done your challenge on wifi with the android phones that came out when my 9700 did and I won or tied. None of this matters though does it? Do you have what you want? I do.
    I said Blackberry because I have compared the some of the very best berry models to both the Incredible first and then the EVO. I did it with the standard service, with all the handsets. The Berry's lost. Badly. Never did it on wifi, however, next time I get the chance, I am going to try it. However, wifi is the exception rather than the rule.

Me? More or less. I was hoping the 9650 was going to be better than it was. I don't see anything coming that is too exciting. It's hard to become too excited about vaporware, which is all OS 6 is. I would love for Kevin to get an advanced device and write up how well it works.
    07-07-10 10:48 PM
    Thanks for the chat bulldawg, I don't doubt you will enjoy your device just as I will mine.
    07-07-10 11:07 PM
    As has been pointed out previously, the revenue per handset is dropping. Why? Because everyone wants one? Not if supply and demand assumptions in economics are correct.

Anecdotal evidence can be found by going to your local cell phone store and ask what is selling and what isn't. The manager of the VZW store in my area says the Incredible is back ordered until August. And the 9650 is in stock and selling for $50 less than the Incredible. To be fair, they aren't selling Kins and the Moto Devour isn't moving, either. But that doesn't bode well for RIM. I would be accelerating the roll out of media devices, if that's what everyone wants to call a phone with a capable browser.
    Yet latest numbers from RIM inducates a 45% GM on phones. That's not to shabby.

And remember that unlike the other manufscturers who must sell handsets to generate revenues, RIM gets a constant monthly revenue stream from activated phones, so the don't have to rely on double digit growth on new handsets.
    07-07-10 11:29 PM
    Why do all Android fanboys keep ignoring the fact that the blackberry browser problem has been fixed a long time ago by Opera and Bolt browser?
    Does it really have to be a browser made by RIM? They work, they're fast and they're free, what more do you want? I thought that was the main point of apps, to make something better.
    You really can't throw the browser in our face anymore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 02:51 AM
    Why do all Android fanboys keep ignoring the fact that the blackberry browser problem has been fixed a long time ago by Opera and Bolt browser?
    Does it really have to be a browser made by RIM? They work, they're fast and they're free, what more do you want? I thought that was the main point of apps, to make something better.

Interesting. I go through these platform-bashing threads/posts, and somehow that totally skipped my attention - how is it that those who tout the app selection with Android/Apple and bash the lack thereof with BlackBerry completely ignore using an app that is developed for BlackBerry or just gloss over it?
    I personally would like RIM to hurry up and get us a browser that's as read-able as Opera and works with SurePress. I've tried Bolt and Opera; Bolt was a fail on my device and Opera is great for lots of reading. In a pinch I use the native browser to look something up as OM likes to reload the page it's on multiple times, no matter what link is touched.
    07-08-10 04:27 AM

Interesting. I go through these platform-bashing threads/posts, and somehow that totally skipped my attention - how is it that those who tout the app selection with Android/Apple and bash the lack thereof with BlackBerry completely ignore using an app that is developed for BlackBerry or just gloss over it?
    I personally would like RIM to hurry up and get us a browser that's as read-able as Opera and works with SurePress. I've tried Bolt and Opera; Bolt was a fail on my device and Opera is great for lots of reading. In a pinch I use the native browser to look something up as OM likes to reload the page it's on multiple times, no matter what link is touched. And, no SurePress.
    07-08-10 04:28 AM

It's 2010. To say that a browser is not necessary on a mobile device (not a 22" screen) is missing out on an important part of technological advancement.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Bold 9000 and love it. I get by with the stock browser (tried Bolt and Opera and didn't work for me). The Bold does most of what I want well so I'm sticking with it for now. That doesn't mean I don't feel a good browser shouldn't be a part of the experience. There are many instances where it comes in handy. We'll see what OS6 brings.
    07-08-10 07:40 AM
    Oh please...

Of course some users will go here and some will go there...

Various posters, including the one I quoted makes it sound like it's a mass exodus from BlackBerry. All these BB users crying with BB in hand outside the Android stores, waiting for them to open so they can get a real phone.

Whatever...
    Really, I made it sound like a mass exodus? All I said was people are leaving. Thanks for taking what I said out of context.
    07-08-10 09:05 AM
    And this is after quoting another BB fanboy who just said RIM's global marketshare is growing.

Wow. Keep contradicting yourselves.

Hilariously pathetic.
    Again... did you not read that is in the US market.. When I said that I was not even thinking about global marketshare.... And even if I was, the marketshare is constantly growing and getting bigger... there is plenty market for everyone. What don't you get about that?

By your logic every small mom and pop restaurant or small businesses should close up shop b/c all of the newer, bigger, badder businesses are more innovative and constantly coming out with the latest and greatest. The small business that have been open for 20+ years should stop what they're doing, go against their core values and just follow in the same footsteps as the bigger guys right? NO.

Dude, get it out of your head or @$$ (where ever it is) that I'm a fanboy.... Just cause I have a BB doesn't make me a fanboy... But I'm not gonna sit here and say RIM is in trouble either...
    07-08-10 09:05 AM
    Bolt and Opera come nowhere near the browsers on other platforms...
    07-08-10 10:15 AM
    Bolt and Opera come nowhere near the browsers on other platforms...
    Care to explain why? When is the last time you tried them and on what blackberry model?

07-08-10 11:03 AM
    Care to explain why? When is the last time you tried them and on what blackberry model?

Well first, it doesn't work on a touchscreen, at least it's very difficult to navigate. Second, they don't render pages as quickly as the Apple/Android browsers.
    07-08-10 11:25 AM
    Well first, it doesn't work on a touchscreen, at least it's very difficult to navigate. Second, they don't render pages as quickly as the Apple/Android browsers.
    I'll second this. They render pages relatively quickly, much faster than the native browser, however, scrolling through pages aren't as fluid and as noted, it doesn't work with surepress. Plus when you first open the browser, it takes a while to load.

I will say that I do like the tabbed browsing.

But even after all this, Android and Apple still render pages faster. I assume RIM will be able to do the same once they roll out with their webkit browser which is sorely needed.
    07-08-10 12:08 PM
    You guys do realise that the touch screen blackberry is the odd one out, all qwerty blackberries also benefit from a lot of shortcuts in all the browsers, especially the standard one. How many flicks of the finger do you need to go to the bottom of the page? With blackberry just one, press b, r to refresh, p to view, copy or send page address, space for page down, t for top, the list go on.
    Blackberry browsers might not be the fastest but as an overall experience in usability it's quite fast. Most people don't bother to learn all these shortcuts.

07-08-10 12:38 PM
    You guys do realise that the touch screen blackberry is the odd one out, all qwerty blackberries also benefit from a lot of shortcuts in all the browsers, especially the standard one. How many flicks of the finger do you need to go to the bottom of the page? With blackberry just one, press b, r to refresh, p to view, copy or send page address, space for page down, t for top, the list go on.
    Blackberry browsers might not be the fastest but as an overall experience in usability it's quite fast. Most people don't bother to learn all these shortcuts.

I agree. I love this feature and use shortcuts all the time on my BlackBerry, not just for the browser, but throughout. .
    07-08-10 12:41 PM
    Again... did you not read that is in the US market.. When I said that I was not even thinking about global marketshare.... And even if I was, the marketshare is constantly growing and getting bigger... there is plenty market for everyone. What don't you get about that?

By your logic every small mom and pop restaurant or small businesses should close up shop b/c all of the newer, bigger, badder businesses are more innovative and constantly coming out with the latest and greatest. The small business that have been open for 20+ years should stop what they're doing, go against their core values and just follow in the same footsteps as the bigger guys right? NO.

Dude, get it out of your head or @$$ (where ever it is) that I'm a fanboy.... Just cause I have a BB doesn't make me a fanboy... But I'm not gonna sit here and say RIM is in trouble either...
    Great use of analogies where you compare an industry with thousands of small players (restaurants) and an industry with only a handful of major players (smartphones). Please don't tell me you can't tell the difference. Again, pathetic.

And you're comparing RIM to the mom and pop shops when RIM currently has the (shrinking) lead in marketshare?

RIIIIIIGGGHHHTT.
    07-08-10 12:51 PM
    Great use of analogies where you compare an industry with thousands of small players (restaurants) and an industry with only a handful of major players (smartphones). Please don't tell me you can't tell the difference. Again, pathetic.

And you're comparing RIM to the mom and pop shops when RIM currently has the (shrinking) lead in marketshare?

RIIIIIIGGGHHHTT.
    Android- Google- Giant
    Iphone - Apple - Giant
    Rim .... not so big compared to them. They are huge companies. His analogy is correct and I think his point was sustainability is more important then rapid growth.

07-08-10 12:58 PM
    Actually I think that was the perfect analogy, keep thinking to yourself that RIM is failing when they are still doing quite well and STILL in the lead. Maybe they won't be in the future and yes I do agree innovation is key to making sure they don't sink too far. Everyone thought Motorola was going to fail then Behold the Razr, then they start sinking again and now the moto Droid gets released and once again Motorola is doing very very well. One great item is all it would take from RIM. I'm not even a fanboy I just think people like the one above are pathetic because there opinion has to be the right one and doesn't know a good analogy.

07-08-10 01:01 PM

Debates like this are pointless.
    07-08-10 01:17 PM
210 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD