I'd recently found this page on Apple's website while researching about their partnership with IBM. It lists a ton of the businesses that use (in this case) the iPad, and I was shocked at the companies that used iPad, but even more so at all the crazily positive comments from their CEO's and other high ranking positions.

I think that BlackBerry should do something similar, because it was really a surprise for me to know how iPad was used by businesses. Although I don't think they'll be able to make a video for every single one, it'd be great to have at least something to show. Maybe BlackBerry could focus less on features and more on experiences.

What do you guys think?

Apple - iPad in Business - Profiles
    07-21-14 03:27 AM
    07-21-14 03:48 AM
    07-21-14 03:49 AM
    iPads and iPods are used in allot of business applications from restaurants to utility companies and along with the iPad have developed custom apps to support their unique applications.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    Laura Knotek and earlym like this.
    07-21-14 03:49 AM
    There's an excellent interview from 2013 in the Guardian with Eric Schmidt, CEO of Google, talking about how he refuses to be parted from his BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 05:46 AM
    I wouldn't conduct any type of business on anything other than BlackBerry. Ask the Germans And See what they have to say about using apple products.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 06:15 AM
    I wouldn't conduct any type of business on anything other than BlackBerry. Ask the Germans And See what they have to say about using apple products.

Posted via CB10
    Its funny that you say that because I was just in Germany on business and all I seen folks using there where iPhones and Android devices, I never seen one blackberry except for my z30 and one person I ran across in one of my meeting at Opel.
    07-21-14 06:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Have you seen BlackBerry's market share in Germany?

I think the OP is spot on about selling experiences over features.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-21-14 07:37 AM
    Have you seen BlackBerry's market share in Germany?

I think the OP is spot on about selling experiences over features.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Completely agree with this, except that now you're talking about marketing, which we all know is something BlackBerry is notoriously horrible at.

I recently bought an iPad Mini for an app (that it turns out I'm not even going to use as I had planned). After three years, I still find the PB's OS to be far more intuitive and productive than iOS; and despite the fact that the iPad is quicker and theoretically more useful with a gazillion more available apps, my go-to tab is still the PlayBook. So now the iPad is basically used for browsing when the PlayBook is on the charger.

I know I can't be alone. The problem is -- and for the last six years has been -- that BlackBerry simply does not know how to get the right message out to the right customers. Chen is returning focus to the enterprise, and that's great, but it means little to me as a consumer other than improving the likelihood that the company will be around for the long term. But it could be so much more if they had just a hint of a clue about consumer marketing.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    07-21-14 08:00 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've been to Germany. The only BlackBerry I saw was the one I was carrying.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-21-14 08:06 AM
    I've been to Germany. The only BlackBerry I saw was the one I was carrying.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    Flip on your sarcasm detector. It needs to be on high when reading his posts.
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    07-21-14 10:31 AM
    Flip on your sarcasm detector. It needs to be on high when reading his posts.
    Sorry, hadn't had my coffee yet. LOL.

Posted with my Q
    07-21-14 10:34 AM
    Its funny that you say that because I was just in Germany on business and all I seen folks using there where iPhones and Android devices, I never seen one blackberry except for my z30 and one person I ran across in one of my meeting at Opel.
    You bring up a good point. What a stark contrast today is when compared to 2009 and earlier. I remember seeing nothing but Blackberry Curves and Bolds all over the place. It has literally been 2-3 years and I no longer see anyone holding a Blackberry. All I see are Galaxy phones and iPhones.

And I am not lying or being sarcastic. When the iPhone hit Verizon back in 2011 things really changed for Blackberry (in the US).

You'll remember that in the not so distant past everyone used to say "BBM me" and ask "what's your pin"? I haven't heard "BBM" in ages. Almost feels like I was in a different era in my life when I was hearing it.
    Last edited by Mr. Marco; 07-21-14 at 10:56 AM.
    LoneStarRed likes this.
    07-21-14 10:44 AM
    You bring up a good point. What a stark contrast today is when compared to 2009 and earlier. I remember seeing nothing but Blackberry Curves and Bolds all over the place. It has literally been 2-3 years and I no longer see anyone holding a Blackberry. All I see are Galaxy phones and iPhones.

And I am not lieing or being sarcastic.
    Yep and unfortunately I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. Here is the USA the brand is all but dead. The only folks I see still carrying a Blackberry is government and some major corporate folks.

As far as the consumer goes, I get allot of stares when I bring out my z30 because the majority here think Blackberry is out of business.

I have seen nothing in the way of advertising and/or promotion to convince them otherwise?

07-21-14 10:51 AM
    Yep and unfortunately I don't see it slowing down anytime soon. Here is the USA the brand is all but dead. The only folks I see still carrying a Blackberry is government and some major corporate folks.

As far as the consumer goes, I get allot of stares when I bring out my z30 because the majority here think Blackberry is out of business.

I have seen nothing in the way of advertising and/or promotion to convince them otherwise?

I agree. I don't know much about Blackberry outside of the US, but in the US I think Blackberry is pretty much beyond any type of come back (in its current form with a handset business as we've always known them to have).
    07-21-14 10:55 AM
    I agree. I don't know much about Blackberry outside of the US, but in the US I think Blackberry is pretty much beyond any type of come back (in its current form with a handset business as we've always known them to have).
    I disagree. I think BlackBerry is on the correct course. Solidify the longterm financial viability with the corporate offerings first. Then venture into the consumer space with limited releases and guage the success.

BlackBerry can enjoy double digits market share (10-20%) in the US again but it will take time.
    07-21-14 11:01 AM

Posted via CB10
    And yet the majority of senior partners in international law firms, accounting firms and consultancies are using iPhones. My firm is one of the very few left that is BB centric. If I am in a meeting on client matters, my BB will usually be the only one in the room.

Seems lots of people do business on other than BB. Serious business.
    07-21-14 11:02 AM
    And yet the majority of senior partners in international law firms, accounting firms and consultancies are using iPhones. My firm is one of the very few left that is BB centric. If I am in a meeting on client matters, my BB will usually be the only one in the room.

Seems lots of people do business on other than BB. Serious business.
    Another excellent point. I come from the accounting world and I know that the Big 4 accounting firms here in the US opened up to iPhone back in 2010. I doubt you will find many of those employees holding a Blackberry anymore.

Also something important to note is that in the US most if not all of small (mom and pop) and medium sized business have been using Apple devices and apps for their operations for years now. Setting up iPhone and iPads for business use really isn't difficult for smaller operations. Count how many shops and businesses you walk into these days that are using iPads to process sales and whatever else.
    07-21-14 11:16 AM
    Apple seems to be a Teflon coated company, imagine if someone came out with this about Blackberry's OS.....but Apple just ignores it and so do their users, I find it completely insane that people and business's continue to buy their products. Forensic scientist identifies suspicious 'back doors' running on every iOS device | ZDNet
    07-21-14 11:32 AM
    I'd recently found this page on Apple's website while researching about their partnership with IBM. It lists a ton of the businesses that use (in this case) the iPad, and I was shocked at the companies that used iPad, but even more so at all the crazily positive comments from their CEO's and other high ranking positions.

I think that BlackBerry should do something similar, because it was really a surprise for me to know how iPad was used by businesses. Although I don't think they'll be able to make a video for every single one, it'd be great to have at least something to show. Maybe BlackBerry could focus less on features and more on experiences.

What do you guys think?

Apple - iPad in Business - Profiles
    I believe BBRY is retaining developers for enterprise apps and that is absolutely the right thing to do, IMO. High quality, customized and specialized apps. And I think they have to be native and not compatible with Android if they are serious about saving their handset business.
    07-21-14 11:39 AM
    I disagree. I think BlackBerry is on the correct course. Solidify the longterm financial viability with the corporate offerings first. Then venture into the consumer space with limited releases and guage the success.

BlackBerry can enjoy double digits market share (10-20%) in the US again but it will take time.
    This would be a reasonable strategy if the mobile space were not so competitive with the most well-funded and sophisticated technology companies competing with each other. The one thing that Blackberry does not have is time. If JC can't make smartphones profitable in the next few quarters then he will shut it down or whoever acquires Blackberry will shut it down.
    07-21-14 11:58 AM
    Apple seems to be a Teflon coated company, imagine if someone came out with this about Blackberry's OS.....but Apple just ignores it and so do their users, I find it completely insane that people and business's continue to buy their products. Forensic scientist identifies suspicious 'back doors' running on every iOS device | ZDNet
    I find it appalling that you think that Blackberry is secure
    NSA able to intercept BlackBerry e-mails: report - The Globe and Mail

Report: UK and US spies have cracked BlackBerry's BES encryption | Security - InfoWorld
    07-21-14 12:00 PM
    So what? If those businesses find ipads to be effective tools, good for them. Until Blackberry can convince them otherwise, they will continue to use ipads.
    07-21-14 12:04 PM
    You find it "appalling" that I think Blackberry is more secure than iPhone? Strange use of the word "appalling"? Zdziarski's questions for Apple include:
    :
    Why is there a packet sniffer running on 600 million personal iOS devices instead of moved to the developer mount?
    Why are there undocumented services that bypass user backup encryption that dump mass amounts of personal data from the phone?
    Why is most of my user data still not encrypted with the PIN or passphrase, enabling the invasion of my personal privacy by YOU?
    Why is there still no mechanism to review the devices my iPhone is paired with, so I can delete ones that don’t belong?

... and his last slide (page 57 of the PDF) sums it up nicely:

Apple is dishing out a lot of data behind our backs
    It’s a violation of the customer’s trust and privacy to bypass backup encryption
    There is no valid excuse to leak personal data or allow packet sniffing without the user’s knowledge and permission.
    Much of this data simply should never come off the phone, even during a backup.
    Apple has added many conveniences for enterprises that make tasty attack points for .gov and criminals
    Overall, the otherwise great security of iOS has been compromised… by Apple… by design.
    Last edited by laserx; 07-21-14 at 12:24 PM. Reason: To give credit for the questions to Apple about this issue
    07-21-14 12:14 PM
    Here in India, BlackBerry Z3 is being marketed with a highlight - Supports Android app! WTH.. !

An average consumer would go and buy Android to have native experience. They still need to have the right marketing skills.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-21-14 12:35 PM
26 12