Still, have never heard any of that.
    I believe you. Unless you are a buyer or security admin in one of those targeted markets, or read the articles published about enterprise security software, there's no reason you would.

Bun those are the products that bring in almost all of the profits for BlackBerry today, they have won many industry awards, and they have higher profit margins than mobile phones. That's why BlackBerry stock has been a better investment than Apple stick over the past couple of years.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-02-19 09:23 AM
    Over the past couple of years Apple stock prices have increased in value more than BlackBerry. Perhaps in the future BlackBerry may exceed expectations. BlackBerry is not a big company and the fact they have not be bought up is telling.
    02-02-19 11:06 AM
    Still, just because YOU don't see it, doesn't make it any less relevant to what Blackberry sees on their bottom line. That's all that counts.
    02-02-19 12:02 PM
    That’s why everyone thinks BB is still in the phone business. It’s why people think phone business is relevant to BB earnings. All the other business is B2B, Enterprise or whatever other name is used now. BB isn’t consumer focused, it’s customers are the consumer focused...
    02-02-19 12:43 PM
    Good news from Blackberry but what's an iPhone doing in the photograph?Is Apple facing the same fate as BlackBerry?-screenshot_20190202-234118.jpeg
    02-02-19 05:50 PM
    "That's why BlackBerry stock has been a better investment than Apple stick over the past couple of years." - that is not correctly... i own both, apple stock definitely perform better (plus dividend... BB does not pay dividend). if you strictly consider last year, it is a wash. As for the future, who knows. hopefully, the new Cisco chap (COO) is focus better than Chen. by the way, if you own BB bonds, like Fairfax, you might be right (there are enough money went into both chen's pocket and fairfax). IMHO.
    02-02-19 07:04 PM
    "That's why BlackBerry stock has been a better investment than Apple stick over the past couple of years." - that is not correctly... i own both, apple stock definitely perform better (plus dividend... BB does not pay dividend). if you strictly consider last year, it is a wash. As for the future, who knows. hopefully, the new Cisco chap (COO) is focus better than Chen. by the way, if you own BB bonds, like Fairfax, you might be right (there are enough money went into both chen's pocket and fairfax). IMHO.
    Agreed. I made an assumption from memory and didn't calculate based on BB's recent decline from last year's peak, which has exceeded the market. My statement was true a few months ago, but is not now.

02-03-19 05:41 AM
    BlackBerry never made a lick of profit from their phones. Even at their height in the mid-2000s. It was all from monthly BIS fees. Most of the US and Canadian carriers didn't directly pass those fees to the customer - a BlackBerry BIS data plan was the same as a regular data plan - they just buried it in their operating costs. But, it was an additional fee for the rest of the word, and BlackBerry got their cut from every carrier. Something that many carriers actively wanted out of.

BB10 comes along, and with no BIS, also no extra income for BlackBerry. What they were still bringing in from active BIS users wasn't covering the cost to bring BB10 to market. And the phones themselves were not bringing in the profits at all.
    Right. And to make things worse, with several of those new type phones back then, you didn’t need a BES to access an Exchange server. Microsoft built in an access and Apple and Google took advantage of that eventually. So what had been sort of a monopoly for RIM/Blackberry disappeared and places didn’t have to maintain the BES.

I was using a BB pre BB10 and even offered to pay from my budget for a BES license so I could get good connectivity to my mail but our IT department refused because they didn’t want to support the BES server.

It seems like the same things that had given RIM/BB such a competitive advantage a few years before quickly turned in them.
    02-03-19 01:15 PM
    It seems like the same things that had given RIM/BB such a competitive advantage a few years before quickly turned in them.
    Mike never really had a business plan for when BB's monopoly was disrupted - which is why he fought so hard to keep carriers from moving to new technology that would make BB's 2G networking solutions irrelevant. Compression and push email were BB's two major differentiators, and like anything in tech, they got disrupted.
    02-03-19 01:36 PM
    Right. And to make things worse, with several of those new type phones back then, you didn’t need a BES to access an Exchange server. Microsoft built in an access and Apple and Google took advantage of that eventually. So what had been sort of a monopoly for RIM/Blackberry disappeared and places didn’t have to maintain the BES.

I was using a BB pre BB10 and even offered to pay from my budget for a BES license so I could get good connectivity to my mail but our IT department refused because they didn’t want to support the BES server.

Mike never really had a business plan for when BB's monopoly was disrupted - which is why he fought so hard to keep carriers from moving to new technology that would make BB's 2G networking solutions irrelevant. Compression and push email were BB's two major differentiators, and like anything in tech, they got disrupted.
    I got my first BlackBerry in the summer of 2007 - right before the original iPhone introduction. My office was running BES over an in-house Exchange server, and the partners in the firm all had BlackBerry phones. Because I was low in the pecking order, I had to get my own phone, and settled for the BIS I could get. No direct email access, but I could tie in with Outlook Web Access. Not push mail, unfortunately, as it relied on the 15 minute polling, but it worked. No calender or contact syncing either, though.

Then the iPhone came out. The big guys waited, but the next year when iOS supported Exchange ActiveSync, it was all over. The firm immediately dropped BES, and went all in on using EAS. All the other employees started connecting with their iPhones and various android phones. I was stuck with OWA through my upgrade to the 9800 in 2010 and finally got EAS on my Z10 in 2013.
    02-03-19 02:14 PM
    Yeah point in time makes big difference...

Reality is BB has been a very good stock to trade over the last few years, lot's of ups and downs... if you "played" it just right. But in general it's still way down from when some here started talking about "supporting the company via the stock" back in 2011. If that "group" had invested in Apple back the... they'd be much better off for it today.

Today, do see BlackBerry being a better investment... could double in no time.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-04-19 08:59 AM
    Then you are uninformed and not aware of the current state of BB.
    02-04-19 09:44 AM
    It's near the end for them. REad Caly Christenson. All industries go through

Stage 1 - products are not good enough and products win on having technical superority -> age of bberry

Stage 2 - all products are good enough (you can make call, sync with exchange) and people look for the most convenient and best design -> age of apple

Stage 3 - all products function and all are easy to use -> whoever is the cheapest wins. Smartphones are going to sell for $100 then $50 then $10. Whoever has the cheapest will win. That will happen first in China where any phone that can run WeChat for the lowest price will win, then it will happen here.
    02-07-19 12:03 PM
    It's near the end for them. REad Caly Christenson. All industries go through

Stage 1 - products are not good enough and products win on having technical superority -> age of bberry

Stage 2 - all products are good enough (you can make call, sync with exchange) and people look for the most convenient and best design -> age of apple

Stage 3 - all products function and all are easy to use -> whoever is the cheapest wins. Smartphones are going to sell for $100 then $50 then $10. Whoever has the cheapest will win. That will happen first in China where any phone that can run WeChat for the lowest price will win, then it will happen here.
    We have reached the point where smartphones are more commodity items.... But Apple's issues aren't that people are moving away from their brand. It's just that the growth period for the market is over and that most are keeping phones longer. Same as what happened with Computer Market... But it's not the guys that could sell the computers the cheapest that are still around today. It's the ones that had better products and better customer service. TCL makes cheap phones... but you don't see them growing. There is "cheap" and their is "low cost"...

Apple isn't going to sell as many smartphones, because there won't be as many bought every year. They may fade into the background as just another tech company, but I don't see them fading as much as BlackBerry did.

Where I think Apple might have "missed the boat" isn't smartphones, but smart assistants.
    02-08-19 07:59 AM
    I believe you. Unless you are a buyer or security admin in one of those targeted markets, or read the articles published about enterprise security software, there's no reason you would.

Bun those are the products that bring in almost all of the profits for BlackBerry today, they have won many industry awards, and they have higher profit margins than mobile phones. That's why BlackBerry stock has been a better investment than Apple stick over the past couple of years.

I believe, everyone other than me and you, have never heard all alien named techs/inventions/products you mentoined before are exist.

But just so you know, I got my Bc degree years back then under major of telecommunication security. It was a project about secure mechanism I worked on wireless mobile network implemented for building fire security. It has nothing to do with this, I know. But even you of all people actually don’t understand a thing about how security works except make a strong passcodes.
    02-15-19 12:17 PM
    I believe, everyone other than me and you, have never heard all alien named techs/inventions/products you mentoined before are exist.

But just so you know, I got my Bc degree years back then under major of telecommunication security. It was a project about secure mechanism I worked on wireless mobile network implemented for building fire security. It has nothing to do with this, I know. But even you of all people actually don’t understand a thing about how security works except make a strong passcodes.
    I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. Cybersecurity is a big field with well over a hundred billion dollars spent annually on tens of thousands of products, so if you're accusing me if not knowing all of them, I'm guilty.

02-15-19 12:26 PM
    Then you are uninformed and not aware of the current state of BB.
    I know that they dive in software, but their inventions are mostly out of scope for regular tech people like me.

Blackberry radar, have you ever use that? Seriously 🤭
    02-15-19 12:26 PM
    Still, just because YOU don't see it, doesn't make it any less relevant to what Blackberry sees on their bottom line. That's all that counts.
    That’s why everyone thinks BB is still in the phone business. It’s why people think phone business is relevant to BB earnings. All the other business is B2B, Enterprise or whatever other name is used now. BB isn’t consumer focused, it’s customers are the consumer focused...
    Yeah, and I just did a little searching. Even with wider range of products now, they aren’t the big player on every fields they throw their products in. I’m sure their profit is just low number.
    02-15-19 12:46 PM
    Yeah, and I just did a little searching. Even with wider range of products now, they aren’t the big player on every fields they throw their products in. I’m sure their profit is just low number.
    Their profit is not a mystery. They are publicly traded, and the numbers are published quarterly. No guessing required.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/black...130301219.html
    chain13 likes this.
    02-15-19 12:49 PM
    02-15-19 12:51 PM
    I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say. Cybersecurity is a big field with well over a hundred billion dollars spent annually on tens of thousands of products, so if you're accusing me if not knowing all of them, I'm guilty.

No. Same as you, I also just know a very simple security stuffs and yet never heard any of that products come by blackberry.
    02-15-19 01:00 PM
    Their profit is not a mystery. They are publicly traded, and the numbers are published quarterly. No guessing required.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/black...130301219.html
    ups downs
    02-15-19 01:01 PM
    No. Same as you, I also just know a very simple security stuffs and yet never heard any of that products come by blackberry.
    Unless you are looking for enterprise-level security middleware for your corporation, there's no reason why you would have. BB has left the consumer market, with the exception of the work they do for their 3 licensees to provide their security changes to Android, and licensing their Android apps and brand. BB doesn't make software products for consumers, but that doesn't mean that they don't have viable, profitable products. There's a whole world of products outside of the consumer realm.
    chain13 likes this.
    02-15-19 04:16 PM
    back to the topic - look like Apple may not face the same fate as BB, new marketing/sales lady in town soon with 31 years Apple HR, MFG logistic background. Game change in the making. IMHO. (personnel set in right place is the most important thing for a company. Jobs is an example - full hearted love towards products and customers- I am not fanboy of Apple, but I still get Java update to my 2004 iMac, is something rare - and it still works with 56k modem... my samsung laptop cracked up when cmos battery died long long ago - same vintage). IMHO. I wouldn't write Apple off easily.
    02-15-19 07:06 PM
99 ... 234