Might need at least one battery swap during the phone's lifetime though.

OEM's hate when people extend their phone update cycles for sure lol
    The one battery swap benefits the owners of the most popular phones. Not so easy to find batteries for a boutique phone.
    01-25-19 12:26 PM
    "Why the obsession with what other people think of you or your phone?" come on Troy, you should know better - phone just a phone, someone used it as tool, the other use it as status symbol. It just like diamond, I would use it as tool (cutting, laser application, heat conduction, etc.etc.), but majority of diamond used as status symbol (larger the better, internal reflection, pink or blue rare color, espcially for ladies with longer finger nails and a lot of time to spare). Majority of phone user currently in the otherside of the globe want to be both status symbol and somewhat tool (that explain the fake iphone). Tool function is secondary. (although I have to say, the silicon valley also exhibit similar trend - to a less degree.. not fake iphone, but "unique" trendy one... that explain the phone jacket market... particularly, the geek one - cost more than your monthly TMO payment). IMHO.
    01-25-19 07:32 PM
    [QUOTE=Dunt Dunt Dunt;13337856]

But in a way it does make sense....

When that hardware was made, it was not designed to run an OS that in two years might add a number of additional features and processes.... all of which could tax older hardware.

It's one reason that Google ends their updates at three years for Pixel devices.... Between ending updates all around or getting continue updates that are throttled. I'd go with the throttled option.

While Marshmallow greatly improved performance on my Android at the time, Nougat and Oreo both had somewhat negative affects on overall performance. Big... no, but enough to notice. We will never know... but I sorta doubt that a PRIV owners would be happy running OREO.
    I feel like the Priv could barely run Marshmallow. Worst BlackBerry I ever owned and I owned the Z10!!!!

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    the_boon likes this.
    01-25-19 09:57 PM
    That said, Apple's only true outlet for growth is China and India.
    I believe the China explanation, but you’re right, the China explanation is bad for them because that is one of their huge areas of potential growth. Their US sales still seem strong.

I went into an Apple store near me (suburban New York City) the Saturday before New Years about an hour before they closed. I said to the customer service person at the door, “I want to buy an iPhone XS Max with 256 gb and get it activated on my Verizon account”. They said that they could do that but not today because there was a 2 hour wait and since they were closing in an hour they weren’t taking any more customers that night. That doesn’t strike me as collapsing sales.

I went back the next Saturday, after the holidays and only had to wait 10 or 15 minutes. But still. I do think they went a bit overboard on price but the rumors are that they are correcting that. But having phones that are overpriced is a long way from having phones no one wants. It’s a phenomenal phone by the way.
    01-26-19 12:31 PM
    compare Apple's customer service to BlackBerry's either mobile or limited. nuff said
    elfabio80 and Bbnivende like this.
    01-26-19 04:13 PM
    People are getting tired of the same slabs. They want something different. As Apple said one day: "think different" ... buy a blackberry

Posted via CB10
    01-28-19 04:53 PM
    People are getting tired of the same slabs. They want something different. As Apple said one day: "think different" ... buy a blackberry

Posted via CB10
    People do still want slabs. They just don't want to keep buying the same one when the one they got still works. There are people in my office still carrying S7s. And I know they could have easily upgraded at least within the past two years.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-28-19 08:38 PM
    People do still want slabs. They just don't want to keep buying the same one when the one they got still works. There are people in my office still carrying S7s. And I know they could have easily upgraded at least within the past two years.
    I have a close friend who is a wealthy tech-head who thinks nothing of dropping 80K on a Tesla as an extra car or buying an extra pair of $500 headphones for work. He still uses an iPhone 6 and replaces the screen himself, saying there's no reason to get a newer phone that would just do the exact same things. Phones have become a boring, but necessary, tool for many of us. I can't think of a single meaningful innovation in the past three years that has changed what average professional people do with their phones.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Gajja likes this.
    01-28-19 09:56 PM
    People are getting tired of the same slabs. They want something different.
    That's like saying "people are getting tired of flat-screen TVs. They want something different," because people don't talk about their TVs like they did 10 years ago when flat screens were a new and therefore a "big deal" to have.

We're simply in a mature market. People still want new phones and buy them when they need one, but, yes, they aren't constantly talking about them anymore like they did when they first had smartphones. People are used to everyone having one now.

But that doesn't mean they don't want slabs - they choose them again and again even though there are other choices (but not many, because... people want slabs).

Back when the smartphone market was growing quickly, manufacturers tried all kinds of shapes, sizes, and features. The slab is what almost everyone chose, and have chosen again and again as everyone by now has had 3 or 4 opportunities to buy a new phone (assuming a 2-year replacement cycle). Manufacturers are simply providing what people actually want to buy, regardless of what they might SAY they want.

It's great that BBMo still has PKB phones on the market, but don't think that the PKB phone is suddenly going to retake the market - that's simply not going to happen. PKBs just don't match the usage pattern of the vast majority of smartphone users - high-volume typing on buttons simply isn't the priority for most.
    01-29-19 12:41 AM
    Blackberry on the other hand, their only big income is selling devices that not doing so well even now.
    As others have noted, this is incorrect. A lot has changed since this kinda thing was true.
    01-29-19 06:04 AM
    As others have noted, this is incorrect. A lot has changed since this kinda thing was true.
    Exactly. They're a software service company now. BlackBerry mobile is TCL, including the others which service outside of canada-USA-Mexico, UK, Europe, etc. India, Indonesia come to mind too.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    01-29-19 06:13 AM
    It's great that BBMo still has PKB phones on the market, but don't think that the PKB phone is suddenly going to retake the market - that's simply not going to happen. PKBs just don't match the usage pattern of the vast majority of smartphone users - high-volume typing on buttons simply isn't the priority for most.
    And they are glass slabs with keyboards
    01-29-19 06:45 AM
    earnings call. $84.31 billion and net quarterly profit of $19.965 billion, compared to revenue of $88.3 billion and net quarterly profit of $20.1 billion last year ago quarter. Apple watch is bigger than Ipod ever was in terms of revenue. Going to take a very very long time for this Titanic to sink.
    co4nd likes this.
    01-29-19 04:27 PM
    earnings call. $84.31 billion and net quarterly profit of $19.965 billion, compared to revenue of $88.3 billion and net quarterly profit of $20.1 billion last year ago quarter. Apple watch is bigger than Ipod ever was in terms of revenue. Going to take a very very long time for this Titanic to sink.
    All the big ships get low in the water from time to time, no matter how high they were floating. when you are low the obvious priority is to bail water, but it probably started coming in when you were high in the water and not paying attention to your bilge pumps. It's easier to overlook something when you are convinced everything is fine.
    01-30-19 10:29 AM
    All the big ships get low in the water from time to time, no matter how high they were floating. when you are low the obvious priority is to bail water, but it probably started coming in when you were high in the water and not paying attention to your bilge pumps. It's easier to overlook something when you are convinced everything is fine.
    Everyone knows that the market is changing and the smartphone sales are dropping. It's a very different situation than BlackBerry had when the market was seeing exponential growth, and BlackBerry couldn't maintain sales.

While iPhone sales are key for Apple right now, they do have a number of other product and service lines... all of which are very profitable.

Apple stock might not be a great investment, but the company is a LONG way from sharing BlackBerry's fate. With over $200 Billion in cash... they have options.
    01-30-19 11:08 AM
    Yeah it is, software company right?
    What software actually? security consultant who selling security to secure a feature phone? Come on, we all know that their most profit still come from phone
    01-31-19 08:26 PM
    What software actually? security consultant who selling security to secure a feature phone? Come on, we all know that their most profit still come from phone
    Wrong....... and becoming even more false everyday. BB profits aren’t from phones.....
    01-31-19 08:36 PM
    Dude, unless you willfully ignored the many announcements made by BlackBerry to exit the hardware business upon handing it over to TCL and those other two in other countries, you really should read up and stop forwarding incorrect information. BlackBerry limited is a software-service company, BlackBerry mobile is TCL.
    02-01-19 03:56 AM
    BlackBerry never made a lick of profit from their phones. Even at their height in the mid-2000s. It was all from monthly BIS fees. Most of the US and Canadian carriers didn't directly pass those fees to the customer - a BlackBerry BIS data plan was the same as a regular data plan - they just buried it in their operating costs. But, it was an additional fee for the rest of the word, and BlackBerry got their cut from every carrier. Something that many carriers actively wanted out of.

BB10 comes along, and with no BIS, also no extra income for BlackBerry. What they were still bringing in from active BIS users wasn't covering the cost to bring BB10 to market. And the phones themselves were not bringing in the profits at all.
    02-01-19 06:46 AM
    You need to look at their current financial statements....

There is a reason the Chen hardly talks about smartphones anymore.
    02-01-19 08:15 AM
    I can tell you that after owning an iPhone for several generations I am here. I hate the iPhone x. I hate that they removed the fingerprint/scanner (I have to look at my phone to unlock it; waking up in the morning and using my phone to turn the heat up means I need to stare at the bright white screen to unlock my home automation app (blinding); vs simply touching the fingerprint scanner) Also my X has been acting wonky and freezing.

And in this new world, I want privacy and security in a phone. Something BB used to be; but now that BB runs Android (GOOGLE) I don't know if BB is as secure and private as BB OS?

Either way I may get a Key2 today.
    02-01-19 12:22 PM
    What software?

Endpoint Management -- BlackBerry UEM
    Applications -- BlackBerry Dynamics Platform, Apps, and Marketplace for Enterprise Software
    Automotive -- QNX Platform for Instrument Clusters, ADAS Platform
    Content -- BlackBerry Workspaces
    Messaging -- BBM Enterprise, SecuSuite for Government, Spark Services
    Identity and Access Management -- BlackBerry Identity, BlackBerry 2FA
    Transportation Asset Tracking -- BlackBerry Radar
    Crisis Communication -- AtHoc
    Embedded -- Certicom, QNX, RT OS, QNX Hypervisor
    Mobile -- BlackBerry Apps for Android

I left a few out, but he picture should be clear. These are enterprise security solutions.

Smokeaire and elfabio80 like this.
    02-01-19 12:26 PM
    I don't think Apple is in any immediate trouble. Sure they are having a hiccup in sales right now, but sooner or later they will ride through it. They have several other means of revenue where it won't be concerning. If this slump continues, that is a different story, but only time will tell.
    02-01-19 05:01 PM
    I can tell you that after owning an iPhone for several generations I am here. I hate the iPhone x. I hate that they removed the fingerprint/scanner (I have to look at my phone to unlock it; waking up in the morning and using my phone to turn the heat up means I need to stare at the bright white screen to unlock my home automation app (blinding); vs simply touching the fingerprint scanner) Also my X has been acting wonky and freezing.

And in this new world, I want privacy and security in a phone. Something BB used to be; but now that BB runs Android (GOOGLE) I don't know if BB is as secure and private as BB OS?

Either way I may get a Key2 today.
    There is this way out there accessory called a Thermostat. The wild thing is you can get one that works independent of IOT and smartphones. They even have touchscreens where you program them to run when you want. And it works basically forever and no one can hack it and I don't have to worry about what phone I have or if the app is down.

It is amazingly simple and time tested.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-19 05:21 AM
    What software?

Endpoint Management -- BlackBerry UEM
    Applications -- BlackBerry Dynamics Platform, Apps, and Marketplace for Enterprise Software
    Automotive -- QNX Platform for Instrument Clusters, ADAS Platform
    Content -- BlackBerry Workspaces
    Messaging -- BBM Enterprise, SecuSuite for Government, Spark Services
    Identity and Access Management -- BlackBerry Identity, BlackBerry 2FA
    Transportation Asset Tracking -- BlackBerry Radar
    Crisis Communication -- AtHoc
    Embedded -- Certicom, QNX, RT OS, QNX Hypervisor
    Mobile -- BlackBerry Apps for Android

I left a few out, but he picture should be clear. These are enterprise security solutions.

Still, have never heard any of that.
    02-02-19 09:07 AM
99 1234