Yeah that's because of US influence and pressure. Still no proof. If your best friend says you should do such and such chances are you will follow their example especially if there is the slightest suspicion of wrongdoing or potential wrongdoing. It's not as if all these countries have any actual proof of anything. There are still in the neighborhood of 160+ countries using Huawei equipment.
    Exactly. It's all US politics and paranoia. If they looked at what the CIA and NSA does, it's far worse than China alone. They spy on everyone. Just about all Internet traffic goes through the US alone. :/

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    01-20-19 02:20 PM
    [QUOTE=Invictus0;13337367]CPU throttling was actually a solution to extend the life of the phone.]

This was the excuse Apple came up with when they were caught throttling. Just because Apple says something, doesn't mean that I believe it.
    01-21-19 07:18 AM
    [QUOTE=Carmano;13337834]
    CPU throttling was actually a solution to extend the life of the phone.]

This was the excuse Apple came up with when they were caught throttling. Just because Apple says something, doesn't mean that I believe it.
    But in a way it does make sense....

When that hardware was made, it was not designed to run an OS that in two years might add a number of additional features and processes.... all of which could tax older hardware.

It's one reason that Google ends their updates at three years for Pixel devices.... Between ending updates all around or getting continue updates that are throttled. I'd go with the throttled option.

While Marshmallow greatly improved performance on my Android at the time, Nougat and Oreo both had somewhat negative affects on overall performance. Big... no, but enough to notice. We will never know... but I sorta doubt that a PRIV owners would be happy running OREO.
    01-21-19 08:25 AM
    We have a pretty good indicator now that its resulted in older iPhones staying in use for longer periods of time, to the point where it's hurting Apple. If you believe throttling was to force upgrades then they failed spectacularly.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    01-21-19 10:37 AM
    The smartphone market as a whole is stumbling; not just apple. There hasn't been any real innovation to smartphones for at least the past 5 years.

That's why if you pay attention to cellphone companies right now they are doing buy one get one free deals to sell more of them.
    01-21-19 02:52 PM
    The smartphone market as a whole is stumbling; not just apple. There hasn't been any real innovation to smartphones for at least the past 5 years.

That's why if you pay attention to cellphone companies right now they are doing buy one get one free deals to sell more of them.
    That's because almost every damn device out there is a boring piece of glass.

Shaving off a millimeter of bezel here, a notch there, a hole punch over there ISN'T going to change that a slab is a slab, and a slabs are boring and hardly innovative in this era.

You could have the most expensive piece of glass, no one's ever gonna notice it, it'll blend in with the mass.

You could have a KEY2 LE atomic like I do, and people will ask about it just about everywhere
    01-22-19 09:22 AM

Shaving off a millimeter of bezel here, a notch there, a hole punch over there ISN'T going to change that a slab is a slab, and a slabs are boring and hardly innovative in this era.

You could have the most expensive piece of glass, no one's ever gonna notice it, it'll blend in with the mass.

You could have a KEY2 LE atomic like I do, and people will ask about it just about everywhere
    I've never understood this argument. Do you carry a phone to be a status symbol, or a tool? My self-worth certainly isn't based around the phone I carry - I have my phone to run the apps and access the information that I need to get things done. The reason "a slab is a slab" is because the important thing is the software and the data - the phone is just a vessel to access all that - a "nexus" if you will.

And even though I'm not a PKB guy, I can understand that some people want a PKB - but buying a PKB so that other people notice that you have a unique phone makes no sense to me - buy it because you prefer typing on a PKB, not because of what others think.

Why the obsession with what other people think of you or your phone?
    01-22-19 10:44 AM
    I've never understood this argument. Do you carry a phone to be a status symbol, or a tool? My self-worth certainly isn't based around the phone I carry - I have my phone to run the apps and access the information that I need to get things done. The reason "a slab is a slab" is because the important thing is the software and the data - the phone is just a vessel to access all that - a "nexus" if you will.

And even though I'm not a PKB guy, I can understand that some people want a PKB - but buying a PKB so that other people notice that you have a unique phone makes no sense to me - buy it because you prefer typing on a PKB, not because of what others think.

Of course I enjoy the PKB lol, I'm sacrificing an IP rating and awesome camera for it...

...but who doesn't like a bit of exclusivity
    01-22-19 11:39 AM

What other kind of people would wast time on a community form for a brand that isn't even made by the same company anymore..... obsession comes with the territory.
    BigBadWulf and MikeX74 like this.
    01-22-19 11:52 AM
    What other kind of people would wast time on a community form for a brand that isn't even made by the same company anymore..... obsession comes with the territory.
    True enough. LOL. But I still don't understand basing your buying decisions on what other people think. I care what *I* think, and anyone else can KMA.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-22-19 12:07 PM
    BlackBerry is software and security. They don't make devices anymore. Their income is from what they do now, and haven't faded away since. BlackBerry mobile is TCL and other device makers, if you haven't been keeping track (yes, it's difficult, totally understand).

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    Thanks, I forgot that Blackberry is software company now. Selling security license even for a feature phone like punkt
    01-23-19 07:45 AM
    01-23-19 08:24 AM

Agree 100%

I don't like my BB10 phones because I'm some kind of retro hold out. They are simply the right tools for the job at hand. I have absolutely zero loyalty to BlackBerry as a "brand" or a company.

Similarly, my frustrations with Android and iOS are based on the efficiency and user experience of the tasks I wish to perform with my phone. I don't understand people who want BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile to produce different kinds of phones. If I want a particular phone, I don't care who produces it. My frustration is with the entire market, not with any particular OEM.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-23-19 09:05 AM
    My frustration is with the entire market, not with any particular OEM.

That entire market is indeed too busy copying off Apple and focusing only on the pursuit to bezel less and better cameras...
    Dew Berry likes this.
    01-23-19 11:25 AM
    Smartphone market is entering the phase that personal computers have for years. Apple will of course survive just like Dell or other major pc maker. Their profits may be lower than stratospheric heights for sometime until their growing service revenue can replace slumping growth on the Iphone. There doesn't seem to be a likely scenario where Apple doesn't continue to take the majority of future smartphone profits just like it does for premium computers.

One has to remember that Ipad, Mac, App Store separately are all prime BB size companies.
    Last edited by Ment; 01-23-19 at 02:22 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-23-19 02:12 PM
    Apple is winning where all the money is - the USA.
    01-23-19 04:10 PM
    How many unique takes on a TV, PC, laptop, tablet...
    toaster for Pete sakes! The only thing new and innovative currently available is the Hydrogen One. Really interesting initial offering, but well beyond the average consumer's price range. Foldable, notch, whatever maybe soon be coming. Who knows. So many concepts over the years, most of whom have never seen a sale. Through it all, one thing has remained relatively consistent. It's a slab. Before the slab, everything was a small screen and buttons. The horrid slab was innovative. Stood out. Gained attention. How many purchased one with that in mind? A hologram would be cool, but you couldn't be discrete. The form follows function. A triangle would be different!

Sales have slowed because hardware improvements have slowed. My Moto Z Force still does everything extremely well, 2+ years later. Same can be said for many other phones which competed with it.

Get noticed
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-23-19 11:53 PM
    Apple is winning where all the money is - the USA.
    There is money in other markets... but the competition between Android OEMs is pretty fierce.

In the US products like Facetime and iMessage are more valuable as their marketshare is pretty high. That isn't true in India and China. In the end the other functions of a smartphone, camera, running of Apps and of course phone calls... a flagship Android for $200 less is just fine. For most a $500 less phone will meet their needs...
    01-24-19 10:23 AM
    If Apple was the only one having problems in the Smartphone business... I might would worry a little. Sales overall are declining and most everyone is seeing a decline in profits.

Only growth right now is mostly in the lower price points... Apple doesn't deal in $100 phones. But at $10 - $15 profit per phone... is Huawei and Xamoni really doing well? Or are they (China) trying to buy the market... for some reason?

Originally I took the blacklash against Huawei and other Chinese manufactures as US Protectionism. But other countries are also banning their devices and their 5G technology. Maybe there is more to it?
    I believe that there is significant concern that Huawei may be involved with the state security apparatus.
    I remember reading a book written by a former CSIS (Canada's state security) operative. This was at least 10 years ago and at that time he was DEEPLY concerned about China's spying efforts - notably they were at that time heavily involved in industrial espionage.

I don't know that Huawei is involved in any such, but if they are, then what better way to spy than to supply an entire network or even nation's 5G hardware / software?
    01-24-19 02:24 PM
    People are simply done paying $800.00-1,000 for a phone it’s crazy.
    01-24-19 03:18 PM
    Oh, plenty of people will continue to pay that - it's just that they won't do it every year, year after year, as so many tended to do in the past. Instead, it's more and more common for people to keep their phone well into its 3rd year before they replace it, and THAT is relatively new. Only a couple of years ago, everyone upgraded every 24 months on the dot, no matter how well their old phone worked, because their phone plans essentially charged them whether they upgraded or not.

Thank T-Mobile for finally breaking apart the prices of the call/data plan and the cost of the phone itself, which the other carriers followed.
    01-24-19 03:27 PM
    People don’t see it that way. In their mind, they’re paying $30-$40/month
    01-24-19 03:29 PM
    Oh, plenty of people will continue to pay that - it's just that they won't do it every year, year after year, as so many tended to do in the past. Instead, it's more and more common for people to keep their phone well into its 3rd year before they replace it, and THAT is relatively new. Only a couple of years ago, everyone upgraded every 24 months on the dot, no matter how well their old phone worked, because their phone plans essentially charged them whether they upgraded or not.

Thank T-Mobile for finally breaking apart the prices of the call/data plan and the cost of the phone itself, which the other carriers followed.
    I agree with that.
    01-24-19 03:30 PM

Only a minority of users pay $800+ for a phone, though it is the most profitable segment of the market. But there have been so few meaningful innovations that there's no reason not to keep a flagship phone for 4-5 years anymore, so long as it's in good working condition. Most of the iPhones I see are 6s that are four+years old.

01-24-19 03:44 PM
    Only a minority of users pay $800+ for a phone, though it is the most profitable segment of the market. But there have been so few meaningful innovations that there's no reason not to keep a flagship phone for 4-5 years anymore, so long as it's in good working condition. Most of the iPhones I see are 6s that are four+years old.

Might need at least one battery swap during the phone's lifetime though.

OEM's hate when people extend their phone update cycles for sure lol
    01-25-19 12:00 PM
99 1234