A few weeks ago a friend of mine who has been an iPhone user for the past 3-4 years told me he needs to get a phone. His phone pretty much crapped out. He has played with my z10 a few times and mentioned if I can get him one because he really needs a phone.

The next day I took him over to someone who had a z10 in very good condition and we purchased it. I gave him a few pointers helped him get started because he has been well ingrained in Apple's ecosystem. Because of this I offered to put the leaked 10.3 the same way as I have for myself and he said he will just use it for now and wait for the official release.

After a week his report was he loves the phone and he really didn't think he would have but it really surprised him and he has no complaints.

Proud moment for sure. If more people took the time to use the devices and stop bashing mobile would be better.

Posted via CB10 on my ? Z10
    10-08-14 07:27 AM
    That is exactly the point. if more people used BB more people would LOVE BB!
    Thanks for the story!
    bungaboy and theRock1975 like this.
    10-08-14 07:37 AM
    Same story roughly with a friend of mine. Loves the z10, escaped from Apple. A word of caution. He may have a few day battle with text messages regarding Apple's treating of sms text messages as imessages.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and theRock1975 like this.
    10-08-14 07:38 AM
    Just have to turn imessage off. Not so easy I hear if you don't have the device anymore.
    10-08-14 07:54 AM
    Yes much easier with the device and it has to be off on all devices. So if you were using it on mac and an iPad as well they have to be turned off. At least that was my experience.

Passport on AT&T
    10-08-14 08:49 AM
    He never really used iMessage so that isn't a problem. And apps that he used he found replacements for so everything is great.

kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-14 11:03 AM
    These are cool stories! Let the word spread...
    miker476 likes this.
    10-08-14 11:42 AM
    I agree if more people were willing to try out a new device instead of going with what they're comfortable with then they would see that BlackBerry 10 is the best OS out there at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 11:49 AM
    I have said before, if every app was on bb10 things would be different. People will try it out however after when they go to the app store and can't get what they are accustomed to then we have a problem. For my friend I know what he uses mainly so I found replacements.

The core OS is great and efficient and lack of apps is the issue that has driven poor perception by the masses.

I remember when Techno Buffalo did the z10 review they liked the phone however Jon said he missed Instagram, I thought it was absurd but that was his reality and it's also the reality of many.

I believe things will change in this regard and it's a matter of when not if.

10.3 thus far is really good.

10-08-14 11:59 AM
    True to the apps but things are better and still improving. I will share why a friend switched. His family is all Apple and they use to joke that I must have a lot of shares in BlackBerry in order to justifying buying a BlackBerry device. Unfortunately, you sit quietly as I know they just don't understand why I choose BlackBerry over Apple. When the price of the Playbook tanked, he bought one for 2 reasons. He could plug it directly into his tv to watch music videos, and it gives a full browser experience. A reservation that he had with Apple. Now fast forward a year or so, as he watched what I was able to do with my z10, and then z30, in front of our families he says his next phone is a BlackBerry. You could have heard a pin drop. Even I was shocked to hear those words. 2 months later he asked to buy my z10, I gave it to him to try. I asked him to look at all the apps he needs and to make sure we can get them. We had them all, he loves his new z10.

Posted via CB10
    josaki likes this.
    10-08-14 12:10 PM
    True to the apps but things are better and still improving. I will share why a friend switched. His family is all Apple and they use to joke that I must have a lot of shares in BlackBerry in order to justifying buying a BlackBerry device. Unfortunately, you sit quietly as I know they just don't understand why I choose BlackBerry over Apple. When the price of the Playbook tanked, he bought one for 2 reasons. He could plug it directly into his tv to watch music videos, and it gives a full browser experience. A reservation that he had with Apple. Now fast forward a year or so, as he watched what I was able to do with my z10, and then z30, in front of our families he says his next phone is a BlackBerry. You could have heard a pin drop. Even I was shocked to hear those words. 2 months later he asked to buy my z10, I gave it to him to try. I asked him to look at all the apps he needs and to make sure we can get them. We had them all, he loves his new z10.

Posted via CB10
    Mod can delete this accidental entry

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:11 PM
    I have said before, if every app was on bb10 things would be different.
    I happen to agree.

We've reached a point of relative parity with regards to core OS features. Outside the apps (and maybe greater ecosystem which includes accessories), I think most people could be happy with BB10.
    spike12 likes this.
    10-08-14 12:14 PM
    What has been hard to understand is developers reluctantance to develop and more importantly blackberrys inability to get them on board. Especially the big names. What cost more, a huge inventory write down (which occurred) or payment for development. I'm sure a million dollars an app would have bought some big names. I'm guessing, of course, but 100 million for 100 apps would have done it.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 12:29 PM
    What has been hard to understand is developers reluctantance to develop and more importantly blackberrys inability to get them on board. Especially the big names. What cost more, a huge inventory write down (which occurred) or payment for development. I'm sure a million dollars an app would have bought some big names. I'm guessing, of course, but 100 million for 100 apps would have done it.

Posted via CB10
    True, but I suspect the app bounties were higher than most people realize.

I do think BBRY tried, but at some point had to cut off the cash and hope the runtime would help.
    10-08-14 12:35 PM
    Awesome.

From my ? phone.
    10-08-14 01:18 PM
    Good job. I too am trying to educate people about BlackBerry. Most people I talk to are familiar with the older BlackBerry phones...not the new BB10 devices.

Sent from my awesome Z10
    10-08-14 02:28 PM
    BlackBerry did have the guaranteed $10,000 app developer program.

RIM guarantees $10,000 to BlackBerry 10 devs in first year - CNET
    10-08-14 02:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    I believe BBRY did a great deal to get the apps however it's the reluctance of the devs. I remember reading about NetFlix and BBRY saying they would be at their doorstep to build the app and they weren't game.

To this day Facebook hasn't made an app for the platform. BBRY has been doing this themselves and maybe this is a good thing but at the same time while they do update it, it still has the old feel that all the other platforms has moved on from for quite some time.

BlackBerry isn't Microsoft to go push money at devs to make games (apps in this case) and they don't have the bank roll either.

It's about added value. The apps BB10 doesn't have that people want are created by devs who hasn't seen the value in creating for the platform or just flat out doesn't want to because they don't like the brand. Some do this for the dumbest of reasons but it's their reasons. I believe that the apps that have been created by the devs who build for BB10 as replacements work and more will follow.

I like the addition of the android apps but I have noticed that they run but performance isn't as good as the native and maybe one day more native apps will come.
    10-08-14 03:31 PM
    I believe BBRY did a great deal to get the apps however it's the reluctance of the devs. I remember reading about NetFlix and BBRY saying they would be at their doorstep to build the app and they weren't game.

To this day Facebook hasn't made an app for the platform. BBRY has been doing this themselves and maybe this is a good thing but at the same time while they do update it, it still has the old feel that all the other platforms has moved on from for quite some time.

BlackBerry isn't Microsoft to go push money at devs to make games (apps in this case) and they don't have the bank roll either.

It's about added value. The apps BB10 doesn't have that people want are created by devs who hasn't seen the value in creating for the platform or just flat out doesn't want to because they don't like the brand. Some do this for the dumbest of reasons but it's their reasons. I believe that the apps that have been created by the devs who build for BB10 as replacements work and more will follow.

I like the addition of the android apps but I have noticed that they run but performance isn't as good as the native and maybe one day more native apps will come.
    The Netflix thing was silly posturing by BBRY IMHO. If BBRY had paid what Netflix wanted it would be here.

I don't begrudge a developer for wanting to get paid for extra work, but I don't necessarily begrudge BlackBerry the right to monitor ballooning expenses.
    10-08-14 03:37 PM
    I was in the same boat, coming from iOS to BB10 a year ago. BB10 is the OS I much prefer.

Zoom Zoom Z30
    theRock1975 likes this.
    10-08-14 03:55 PM
    If they could make bbos as smooth and responsive as ios that would be really awesome

Posted with my new BlackBerry PassPort
    10-08-14 05:06 PM
    I am happy to hear that. I have tried for the past four years to stay with bb I hopes that bb10 would solve my issues. It did for the most part as my Z30 is the best device I have ever owned battery last all day easily, my email and text triage is a winch with the hub. Work wise it is great. But as of yesterday I am heading back into iOS land because of the app gap (30% of the apps I used years ago on Bbos and iOS still are not native and if used in the android side are buggy and slow) and the camera.

things have changed for me. With an iMac, MacBook Air, iPad Air, Apple TV, and a wife with an iPhone I feel it will be easier to save life's precious moments if we are all on one ecosystem. Things change and as I do not need my phone for work as much and we have a 29 month old now iOS is just a better fit. To each his own. I hope blackberry and Chen dig out of their hole...they have made leaps and bounds so far!! Long live Blackberry!!!!
    10-10-14 08:33 PM