I just watched the Z30 video and my little brother was sitting beside me. The conversation went something like this:

"Is that the new phone?"
    "Yup"
    "What's new?!"
    "It's bigger..."
    "You know what's funny? First the phones used to be big, then they got smaller and smaller, now they're getting bigger...."

LOL, this is a 12 year old's view on Z30, G4, Note etc..! What do you think?

Posted from my Dev C!
    08-27-13 10:08 PM
    Keep in mind that when phones got smaller and smaller, apps were not very present, now that there is web browsing, and viewing content (keyword VIEWING), people want to see more of their content at the same time, and in high quality. Essentially, when something is not there, why display nothing on a big screen, reason why phones got smaller, nothing to show.

Posted from my DevQ
    08-27-13 10:17 PM
    Keep in mind that when phones got smaller and smaller, apps were not very present, now that there is web browsing, and viewing content (keyword VIEWING), people want to see more of their content at the same time, and in high quality. Essentially, when something is not there, why display nothing on a big screen, reason why phones got smaller, nothing to show.

Posted from my DevQ
    Yep, a few years ago, phones were phones (phone calls, texting, occasional email, calendar, etc.). Now, calling (and less so texting) has become a secondary purpose for many people. It's just like the most primitive functions that are supposed to be there.
    08-27-13 10:35 PM
    That is certainly interesting point you made!

I wonder what would be the next big thing, a implant phone or a tablet phone...
    08-27-13 10:47 PM
    haha i remember way back when people were joking that in a few years phones would be as small as a microchip
    08-28-13 07:59 AM
    It should also be mentioned that as battery technology has progressed so too has the size / weight aspect of phones. At one point most of the size / weight of the old phones were mostly the battery. Now we have better battery technology which allows for smaller, thinner batteries which, in turn, allows that formerly used real estate to be dedicated to the actual working part of the phone (i.e. screen).
    08-28-13 09:33 AM
    It should also be mentioned that as battery technology has progressed so too has the size / weight aspect of phones. At one point most of the size / weight of the old phones were mostly the battery. Now we have better battery technology which allows for smaller, thinner batteries which, in turn, allows that formerly used real estate to be dedicated to the actual working part of the phone (i.e. screen).
    I remember upgrading someone with a phone about 2 years ago, they even still had an ericsson (pre sony merger) with 2 wires connecting the brick of a battery to the pcb!

smallest phone I had was a nokia 8210, but that was terrible, kept breaking because it was so small the gap between lcd and plastic screen meant the air heated up and firtized the screen!

its definitely been interesting to see where phones have gone, heck I still remember my phone with a single line screen for sms, so theyd scroll along lol. ah for the old days of pointy sticky out aerials lol
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-28-13 09:41 AM
    I remember upgrading someone with a phone about 2 years ago, they even still had an ericsson (pre sony merger) with 2 wires connecting the brick of a battery to the pcb!

smallest phone I had was a nokia 8210, but that was terrible, kept breaking because it was so small the gap between lcd and plastic screen meant the air heated up and firtized the screen!

its definitely been interesting to see where phones have gone, heck I still remember my phone with a single line screen for sms, so theyd scroll along lol. ah for the old days of pointy sticky out aerials lol
    I once saw this on a bus: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hfHjj9ezz-...cell-phone.jpgAppeal of Phones-early-cell-phone.jpg
    08-28-13 03:15 PM
    There was some serious debate as to whether a person was allowed to use one of those things on a Tram (Tramcar) at one point here in Australia.

Z10 via CB 10
    08-28-13 03:35 PM
    ah that's nothing, I admit it, I once had the `matrix phone` with the old pop down front lol. ah how foolish that was looking back
    08-28-13 03:37 PM
    ah that's nothing, I admit it, I once had the `matrix phone` with the old pop down front lol. ah how foolish that was looking back
    I saw a phone like that one like 6-7 months ago! :P haha

The entire bus was watching the guy! Funniest thing ever.
    08-28-13 04:14 PM
    Those MOT bricks were so easy to clone they were the phone of choice for the in prison guys (read Carcel). Been in the business for 16 years and seen the big to small to big.

But I think we miss the functionality change. Phone were originally designed to make calls. Then send messages. Smartphones now are designed to be entertainment devices first (and consumers of data), cameras second (killing the compact camera business), and lastly communication devices. From the roadmaps I have seen, the goal of the mfgrs now is to drive media consumption as much as possible and second drive data consumption. Makes me wonder how much RF engineering actually goes on any more.....
    08-28-13 04:15 PM