06-05-11 04:35 PM
42 12
tools
    Ya I've tried a dozen times and it hasn't worked. Seems you need a data plan for it to work. Outside of viigo all other apps work on wifi for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I wasn't able to get Viigo working on WiFi when I tried a few months ago. Now I have a new Curve 8520, tried Viigo on WiFi and it now works. Not sure if it's the new version of Viigo or the new BB.

Anyway, thought I would try App World too and no luck although I can download the app over WiFi... but no matter what I just get the error that I need to upgrade my service.
    Last edited by jabohn; 10-12-09 at 04:00 PM.
    10-12-09 03:54 PM
    Yeah I'm pretty sure you need a data plan for it to work.. :/
    10-13-09 09:00 PM
    Stupid stupid blackberry....

I have simple plan with email and bbm, i can dl app world over wifi, but cannot access it

I took my friends sim card, put it in my phone (he has full data package), we turn off the data connection and only used wifi, guess what, app world worked.

Put my sim back, guess what, app world didnt work... WTFFFFF
    12-04-09 01:53 AM
    When you connected over wifi you can connect to bb servers (white wifi logo) if you have that then aPp world and facebook will work as well as other apps that require a bb connection. App world won't work if you don't have a BB BIS plan.

12-04-09 06:11 AM
    That makes no sense to me. You dont see apple app store deny its users if they dont have a data plan...

There has to be a way to bypass this stupid crippled app world blackberry has put out so that all users can access it over wifi. We are still paying customers.

I am paying for the bbm service and email, but i cant access app world because im not spending top dollar to get their data pack. boo!
    12-04-09 11:12 AM
    Try to turn off data see if that works.
    12-04-09 12:21 PM
    My 8320 with no data plan, loading App World via the PC, I get

"Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry App World."

This is with data turned off.
    12-15-09 07:02 PM
    I jus tried... Upgraded Blackberry App world to .33 and its works through wi-fi..

Can some one confirm it?

03-10-10 12:29 PM
    I jus tried... Upgraded Blackberry App world to .33 and its works through wi-fi..

Can some one confirm it?
    I just re-downloaded it and tried it, it DOES WORK over WiFi now with no data plan. Finally!
    03-10-10 01:38 PM
    Whenever i download it keep saying "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry App World." i dunno what to do
    04-02-10 02:29 AM
    Hey guys,

I do not have a blackberry data plan nor do I have any data plan of any kind. I recently bought a unlocked blackberry Bold 9000 (branded AT&T) and am using it on T-mobile. In the process of trying to get the OZ instant messenger to work (because you have to call them to send you some service books), T-mobile customer service sent me several service books, and somehow turned my "edge" connection to an "EDGE" connection without adding a data plan. I can now download Blackberry App World (couldn't download it before, was getting the same error as #35), but now it works! Have downloaded a few apps and they are working as well.

You do need to make sure that the apps you download are wifi compatible. For example, all google products still won't work.
    04-05-10 01:41 PM
    I'm sorry, but what are service books? Do u have to get them from ur carrier? Thanks.
    04-20-10 08:26 AM
    All problems, no answers for Blackberry users. What a junk ! Blackberry doesn't understand it is digging its own grave not allowing users to use WiFi where available. They will understand when it is too late and the competition is much ahead of them ...
    06-06-10 11:03 PM
    For those that are able to download app world and load apps from the app world into the phone through wifi only without any bb plan please tell me the steps... Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Mr.Storm; 08-13-10 at 06:57 AM.
    08-13-10 06:55 AM
    Hey there, I dont have a data plan for my blackberry pearl flip 8220, and when i first installed bb app world, i had the same issue with the inability to use it due to no data plan. so i uninstalled it and decided to go to the blackberry app world website -for the webstore - (where you are able to load bb apps onto your device through the usb cord).

when downloading an app on the computer, app world asks you to download a bb app world plug in into the browser, and it also installs the latest app world onto your device in order to transfer apps from the app world your browsing on your computer, onto your device.

thats how i had been downloading apps for the past week, and today i decided to try app world on my device alone using the wifi connection and it worked. i dont know if it had anything to do with downloading app world using the internet webstore or something like that, but it worked for me so i figured i would put this piece of information out there to see if it helps anyone else.

i hope that this works for anyone having the same issues that i did.
    03-04-11 11:08 AM
    i turned off data and turned on wifi and it says my wifi is not on, when it is on and working properly cause i could still use brower WTF?

It speciffically says "you do not have sufficent wireless coverage or your connection to the wireless network is turned off"
    04-15-11 03:32 AM
    I have a suspision there may be an agreement between BB and the carrier companies. With BB data plan you will still get charged by the carrier for downloads (browsing free). At least that is case for me with Vodacom. Thus BB has ensured that the carriers make money off all the apps downloaded over the network by not allowing App World access through WiFi.
    ... Or maybe there is a setting I'm missing... I doubt it tho.

06-05-11 04:35 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD