I hope this is the right subforum, can't find one about the OS itself.

So I recently got me a Q10, after encountering too many sites that wont work properly on my good old Meego N9 anymore, and what can I say. Its a fantastic device! The keyboard is as good as the one on my work 9900 I had a few years ago, and the OS is even better.

However�

I thought Blackberry was about security. Maybe that might still be the case for BES customers, but it does seem to me that I as a "home user" might as well get me an android device.

There are those nice "BlackBerry GUARDIAN" and "TREND M I C R O" icons in the appstore, trying to trick me into believing that the apps are safe, but they aren't. Those icons are under every single ******* app by default. Even under those that ask for way too many permissions to be considered adequate. OK, I get it, some people WANT to share everything. fine by me, but please give me the option to switch this **** off. Some apps allow it, but most dont.

And then there is the android compat layer. Great! If i cant find an app for BB, i just use an android one. But I just have to accept whatever snooping that app might want to do. Why cant i remove app permissions? Technically that should be trivial!

Or at least let me run the android apps in a sandbox, with a dummy phonebook and a non functioning dialer and fake PIN and device number.

Which brings me to the next point:

"Oh well, I just sandbox all apps with balance" and use a blank "work account" for phone and email, and put all apps in an empty "private account".

Turns out I need BES for balance.

So please tell me that I just dont yet completely understand my OS and just missed some settings, because right now it seems like I just bought myself an overprized android phone (with a nice keyboard and hardware, to be fair) without the possibility to root it and just live with 30% functionality with replicant or a similar OS fork.
    09-12-14 12:39 PM
    Android apps won't let you edit permissions natively because Android doesn't support it natively.

All native BB10 apps will allow you turn them off as you please. Some may limit how the app functions

There are apps in Google Play Store that let you edit Android permissions If you're running 10.3
    09-12-14 12:43 PM
    Android apps won't let you edit permissions natively because Android doesn't support it natively.
    Wasn't this included with android 4? But anyways, if you root, it is easily possible (with certain apps) and since BB did write their own implementation of android, they ought to have included this functionality by default.

All native BB10 apps will allow you turn them off as you please. Some may limit how the app functions
    No, they dont. I admit i have only tried a hand full off apps, and while some (e.g. bloomberg, Al Jazeera) indeed let me remove permissions, others (Deutsche bahn (railway)) dont let me remove anything.

There are apps in Google Play Store that let you edit Android permissions If you're running 10.3
    That is essentially fighting fire with fire?
    Also, those apps are mostly the personified trust problem by itself… Maybe monitor this app with a firewall then? As said above, that should be in the OS. But i guess if thats the only option, then thats better than nothing? But i doubt that those apps work. Dont they depend a lot on OS internals, that Blackberrys implementation might not necessarily have?

And how/why is that OS10.3 specific?
    09-12-14 01:19 PM