RIM needs tim tebow!!!!!lol
    03-30-12 01:49 AM
    hmmm... RIM update 'misunderstood' by majority of media in the same week as a PROVEN CRITICAL FLAW with ipads 4G and an apparent issue with wifi tht get covered by a handful of outlets... anyone surprised?

i also saw that theyGAINED $600M in cash and about 3M subscribers, even after the incredible way the media has been blatantly bias and negative in cases which should not havebeen taken so serious.

What is worse... having no NATIVE email app,but veryquick and easy access to your emaik through something called the internet... or having ZERO 4G access and iffy wifi? Last time i checked you cant access email if you have no internet connection, but a native email app isnt necessary...unless your browser is substantially crippled.

What is the point to that sidebar? MEDIA perception is EVERYTHING!!!

Companies do everything they can to market and impress the public, and it works. RIM has done none of that, and has been continually bashed by the media, yet they GAINED 3M customers! Any business that can bring in that number with the current black cloud being thrown upon them has to be 'ok' for the very very least a couple of months.

it will obviously come down to BB10 and maybe some miracle PB2 that will grab the corporate world...but people that are saying that RIM is dead are the same people that are buying new routers bc their ipads dont work, the misinformed.

*flame protection suit on!
    03-30-12 02:16 AM
    So sad that really the whole world seems to missunderstand what RIM said.. or maybe it was just us not understanding..
    03-30-12 02:23 AM
    So sad that really the whole world seems to missunderstand what RIM said.. or maybe it was just us not understanding..
    well, if someone from RIM specifically said that the media is fumbling ...
    03-30-12 02:37 AM
    Just listened.

Listen to Thorsten at 41:30 on. Seriously. This is pretty ridiculous. He specifically says at different instances that they are targeting the consumer market.

But yet we have a large proportion of posters here who deny the disproportionate media bias against RIM. They just believe what the media tells them, and its obvious what products they buy.
    03-30-12 02:41 AM
    Just listened.

Listen to Thorsten at 41:30 on. Seriously. This is pretty ridiculous. He specifically says at different instances that they are targeting the consumer market.

But yet we have a large proportion of posters here who deny the disproportionate media bias against RIM. They just believe what the media tells them, and its obvious what products they buy.
    ive been saying this for months

also, just because someone SAYS something it doesnt mean they MEAN that.
    ie apple SAYS ipad is 4G but MEANS 'not anywhere where americans wont buy it'
    03-30-12 02:54 AM
    ... Listen to Thorsten at 41:30 on. Seriously. This is pretty ridiculous. He specifically says at different instances that they are targeting the consumer market. ...
    I've posted a slightly corrected transcript of this discussion along with some other excerpts from the Q&A part of the conference call here:
    | http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...1/#post7277718
    03-30-12 03:59 AM
    I definitely think he was misunderstood, but the problem is he spoke way too vaguely they were going to refocus on the enterprise but they realize that the bring your own device movement is killing them in the enterprise, so how will refocusing on the enterprise help stop that trend?

Then he went on they are open to this, they are open to that..
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-30-12 05:00 AM
    PROVEN CRITICAL FLAW with ipads 4G
    Haven't heard about that. What flaw?
    03-30-12 06:25 AM
    Gotta love the doom & gloomists, not many of which can read between the lines..

Stop. think and re-read. Now think again at what was said and what was not said...
    03-30-12 07:30 AM
    03-30-12 07:56 AM
    That was from Heins himself.

Quote: "We plan to refocus on the enterprise business and capitalize on our leading position in this segment," Heins said. "We believe that BlackBerry cannot succeed if we tried to be everybody's darling and all things to all people. Therefore, we plan to build on our strength."

And i could cut and paste other quotes but that means one thing; RIM is dropping out of the race for the consumer market and refocus on business.... Um, yea, kiss developers goodbye. Kiss consumer targeted marketing goodbye.
    Isn't this good news for most here? Who need tools not toys?
    03-30-12 08:36 AM
    Yup in trinidad and tobago digicell JUST released the iphone 3 months ago and everyone is tossing their blackberries away.

The reason blackberrys are doing well in 3rd world markets is that iphones and android were not offered there but now this is RAPIDLY changing.

Its over.
    Go easy on de rum.
    03-30-12 09:22 AM
    I definitely think he was misunderstood, but the problem is he spoke way too vaguely they were going to refocus on the enterprise but they realize that the bring your own device movement is killing them in the enterprise, so how will refocusing on the enterprise help stop that trend?

Refocussing on something doesn't mean that's the only thing they're doing.
    If you're a company that's focussing on growth does that mean you ignore profitability? No you just put more emphasis on growth.
    03-30-12 10:21 AM

Once again RIM shoots itself in the foot earning a 1 out of 10 for marketing and a 10/10 for communication incompetence. They have now forced themselves into damage control mode but the damage is already done. That was so avoidable with the aide of a tiny bit of forethought and the assistance of even a moderately competent marketing manager but once again they do not control their own very important message so everyone else does. RIM desperately needs to have competent professionals to coach them and to manage their messaging.

Do I sound annoyed? You bet I do. I love my bb products but with all the marketing snafu's over the past couple of years I fear RIM will totally botch the BB10 release then it's good night Irene and all because they are incapable of solid, competent messaging.

<rant off... for now>
    03-30-12 11:11 AM
    Isn't this good news for most here? Who need tools not toys?
    This slogan really irritates me. Any smartphone can be a useful tool when used for those specific reasons. Just because I could play games, read a magazine, or watch a movie on an iPhone/Android/ipad/ipod DOES NOT make it a toy. As I have stated in another thread, smartphones are complete entertainment devices.

I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room with a Blackberry Bold 9900, but after about an hour of waiting it gets to be a pretty boring phone. I have some games on there, but they don't have that lasting appeal as most (not all) do on the iPhone.
    03-30-12 11:37 AM
    Refocussing on something doesn't mean that's the only thing they're doing.
    If you're a company that's focussing on growth does that mean you ignore profitability? No you just put more emphasis on growth.
    Agree, but knowing he was facing a hostile audience he should have made that very clear but he did not. In this rare case I think it's excusable to have misunderstood.

I had to listen to the call a few times to understand what I think he was trying to say.
    03-30-12 12:05 PM
    I will take a stab and guess that he means the fact that Apple's 4G is not compatible with some markets' 4G as it now exists. And that Apple has failed to label the product to notify the consumer.

from ZDnet:

"Australia has already seen a rise in complaints over the incompatible 4G network, despite Telstra running a fully functional 4G network. Australia�s advertising regulator said Apple must inform customers � and Apple�s lawyers said it will by email � and offer refunds if they feel �misled�.

Back to Europe, and Sweden has seen complaints rolling in from iPad 3 customers, reports the Wall Street Journal. The Swedish Consumer Agency is on the brink of launching an investigation to determine whether Apple�s advertising is misleading.

Because Apple doesn�t have a presence in Sweden, a complaint would have to be lodged with its European head office in Ireland, which could have knock-on effects around the rest of mainland Europe.

Onto the United Kingdom, where the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) could impose a marketing ban on the iPad 3�s claims that it supports 4G in the UK, reports Pocket-Lint.

An ASA spokesperson said they were �aware of the news from Australia�, and said customers could lodge a complaint with the regulator.

Apple has suffered a rebuke from the ASA in recent years, with the regulator banning an iPhone advert in 2008. The television advert gave a misleading impression� of the smartphone�s browsing capabilities despite the device not supporting Flash or Java. While close to being defunct in the wake of HTML5, back then it was a big deal.

But swings and roundabouts for the Cupertino-based giant, as the ASA fell in its favour over claims that the iPhone was not the �world�s thinnest smartphone�.

The UK doesn�t even have a 4G network yet, as negotiations continue between the mobile phone networks to see who gets what part of the spectrum on offer. The 700MHz spectrum that the iPad 3 is tuned into listening for 4G waves is reserved for free-to-air digital telly in the UK, adding yet another reason why British iPad 3 users will be denied a super-fast mobile broadband connection.

The problem is �4G�, along with �2G� and �3G� are not legally protected terms. In Europe, 4G is roughly defined as Long-Term Evolution, or �LTE�, while in the U.S., 4G also includes HSPA+, which Europeans still consider to be 3G speeds.

Two continents separated mostly by a common language; that is, especially when it comes to technology terminology."
    03-30-12 12:14 PM
    RIM isn't giving up. They are just going to go straight to the business sector now. It wouldn't surprise me to see their stock go up on this news. They finally have direction.
    But is it the right direction? The problem I see there is they already did focus on the business sector and look what has happened in this different world. That same business sector now has other incumbents (and by all accounts is embracing them) so RIM will be competing on what what was formerly its own turf almost as hard as it would have to compete for consumers. So I am wondering how focusing on enterprise is going to serve them well and make them even more successful.

Also enterprises don't use the trendy apps so I am wondering if that means no more courting of developers to create them.That's not encouraging.
    03-30-12 12:20 PM
    Isn't admitting you can't do it all tantamount to admitting you can't really build a top smartphone platform?

I mean I hope RIM proves all doubters wrong. But on the consumer side I see the big media/content/entertainment players building their own devices and services that are integrated from top to bottom. Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft.

Why would any of these companies help RIM produce a superior experience to their own devices? If anything they want to hobble RIM.
    dendroica likes this.
    03-30-12 12:26 PM
    Isn't admitting you can't do it all tantamount to admitting you can't really build a top smartphone platform?

I mean I hope RIM proves all doubters wrong. But on the consumer side I see the big media/content/entertainment players building their own devices and services that are integrated from top to bottom. Apple, Google, Amazon and Microsoft.

Why would any of these companies help RIM produce a superior experience to their own devices? If anything they want to hobble RIM.
    Not really... I think its more like an athlete running track instead of doing the triathalon. Could that athlete do both, probably, but why spend the time training for the other two events when they know their bread and butter, and the event the love to do and succeed in, is track. Would you as an athlete rather 'compete' in the triathalon or 'own the podium' for straight out track running?

I dont think its a flaw at all, i think it is an elite person/group showing that they know where they have strengths and that rather then trying to focus on lesser areas and possibly take financial hits that would prevent them crom developing business items they are developing thisr stregth with an end goal of possibly returning to the other market once they feel comfortable
    03-30-12 12:48 PM
    Lmao. Nice troll attemp. Lying to the public by 'not being clear' is pretty serious but i guess its not as important as not having a button to click that takes you directly to your email when you can just use the browser in 2 clicks.
    03-30-12 12:53 PM

They specifically mentioned CONTENT providers as partners so I presume they mean Amazon, 7 digital and other non-competitive media providers.

That sounds good to me.
    03-30-12 12:53 PM
    Lmao. Nice troll attemp. Lying to the public by 'not being clear' is pretty serious but i guess its not as important as not having a button to click that takes you directly to your email when you can just use the browser in 2 clicks.
    What's this about the clicks? You get to the email by one touch.

Lying to the public by not being clear? I'm sorry, that is not an Apple issue, that is a carrier issue.

I have a VZW BB. Yet I cannot get 4G at home. Is that BB's fault? Did they lie to me? I absolutely CANNOT get 4G. You know why I cannot get 4G? Because where I live I'm on an Extended Network which does not offer me 4G. Is it BB's fault that I bought a phone to use in an area where VZW has no coverage? Or was it me who got a VZW phone because I was angry with AT&T and went to its competitors, never bothering to check coverage?

From Apple's website:

"The new iPad supports fast cellular networks the world over — including 4G LTE networks in the U.S. and Canada.2 "
    "4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S. and on Bell, Rogers, and Telus networks in Canada. Data plans sold separately. See your carrier for details."

Let's not blame companies for research that consumers must make prior to purchase. I have no more right to complain to neither RIM nor VZW for my lack of 4G than anyone buying an iPad not researching data speeds in each consumer's respective network.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-30-12 at 01:29 PM.
    03-30-12 01:18 PM
    What's this about the clicks? You get to the email by one touch.
    You correct me, but its ok for apple to market '4G'?

Lying to the public by not being clear? I'm sorry, that is not an Apple issue, that is a carrier issue.
    SERIOUSLY!!! Apple itself Marketed 4G. Read the reports of consumers SEEING 4G iPad posters/ads FROM Apple

I have a VZW BB. Yet I cannot get 4G at home. Is that BB's fault? Did they lie to me? I absolutely CANNOT get 4G. You know why I cannot get 4G? Because where I live I'm on an Extended Network which does not offer me 4G. Is it BB's fault that I bought a phone to use in an area where VZW has no coverage? Or was it me who got a VZW phone because I was angry with AT&T and went to its competitors, never bothering to check coverage?
    \

I have an iphone4 and cannot get siri...but siri wasnt advertized as a major selling point on the device. Did the people at VZW explain this to you, did you know already... this is DIFFERENT because the ENTIRE country does not have this 'apple 4G' yet the ipad was marketing IN THAT COUNTRY as 4G. I agree with you that if it is CERTAIN areas it may be different, but THE COUNTRY is a different point and you need to realize that

From Apple's website:

"The new iPad supports fast cellular networks the world over � including 4G LTE networks in the U.S. and Canada.2 "
    "4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S. and on Bell, Rogers, and Telus networks in Canada. Data plans sold separately. See your carrier for details."
    So then they agree that marketing as 4G OUTSIDE of those ares is false advertising...

Let's not blame companies for research that consumers must make prior to purchase. I have no more right to complain to neither RIM nor VZW for my lack of 4G than anyone buying an iPad not researching data speeds in each consumer's respective network.
    Lets also not blame consumers for assuming a BILLION dollar company might have done the research that the consumer needed to do. Im sorry, but no matter how you spin this Apple is selling a product that doesnt work. If Apple KNOWS, as stated on the website, that the 4G branch of the device does not work in these countries then why did they ship millions to the country? Kindle Fire doesnt sell in Canada because AMAZON will not ship it to CANADA... so how is APPLE doing the opposite NOT misleading?

You are wrong and Apple needs to be taken to task on this, just as RIM was when people had to TOUCH the screen TWO times instead of ONE.
    03-30-12 02:00 PM
174 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD