RIM said it will focus its consumer efforts on targeted offerings that tap the company's strengths. That includes devices that employees will want to buy on their own and bring to the corporate environment.
    So its not as if they are leaving the consumer market! Its impossible! The world isn't just in North America.

Basically, they are going to focus their phone towards the business where consumers can buy a phone they like and use it in a business environment rather than purely for games, games, and only more games.

- Charles
    Bluemoonjules likes this.
    03-29-12 08:16 PM
    Yeah. Blackberry is going to need to go into damage control with this one. I was just scrolling around on yahoo's website and one of the headline articles "Blackberry maker giving up on consumer markets". According to the media they cant do anything right. Anything anyone says that is employed by RIM, will be misconstrued.
    03-29-12 08:17 PM
    I would not be the least bit surprised if we all get some BIG news out of waterloo very soon. The news will be incredibly bad for BlackBerry lovers or it will give us some hope. Samsung come rescue me before I'm forced to use a Google phone.
    03-29-12 08:22 PM
    Once again... The media is killing us...
    03-29-12 08:28 PM
    Now Hiens is open to selling the company? Just a month or so ago he said Rim is not on the table and will not be on the table. He believes in the company and yada yada. I hate to say it but it looks like blackberry will be sold and my playbook will not evolve as I hoped it would. Now I'm gonna go hide in a small dark cold place with my playbook and tell myself it will be OK.....
    03-29-12 08:34 PM
    Now Hiens is open to selling the company? Just a month or so ago he said Rim is not on the table and will not be on the table. He believes in the company and yada yada. I hate to say it but it looks like blackberry will be sold and my playbook will not evolve as I hoped it would. Now I'm gonna go hide in a small dark cold place with my playbook and tell myself it will be OK.....
    It was also just a couple of months ago that he stated no big changes were necessary. Naturally he came under heavy criticism for that and was duly defended here. Today he reverses his opinion entirely and says that major changes are needed. Strikes me they could've possibly picked a better replacement, one who paid enough attention throughout the years to know exactly what the company needed. This is exactly why people have no confidence in research in motion and why the media go after them. It's not a conspiracy, it's stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Yaceka likes this.
    03-29-12 08:40 PM
    Once again... The media is killing us...
    1) Unless you work for RIM, the media is not killing you; and
    2) The media isn't doing the killing - they are just the executioner. The news was created by RIM and it was as dismal as the low expectations (if not worse).
    Yaceka likes this.
    03-29-12 08:43 PM
    But will consumers buy BlackBerry devices if the apps they want are not available, due to lack of developer interest?

NOPE.

Finally someone gets it and iphone apps will never run on Blackberrys as the API and OS is all closed source unlike android which is open sourced except for the drivers which we could care less about.
    03-29-12 08:50 PM
    This sounds like the complete opposite of everything rim has been doing the last few months. They reach out to developers and offer free playbooks and are developing an ecosystem, then say they are ceding the consumer segment? This doesn't make sense.
    Because its to late, their board has spoken and trying to catch up with Android or Apple isn't going to happen. What ever development apps that come out now will be productivity tools
    03-29-12 08:51 PM
    Well, this is what I would tell whoever is running RIM and/or whoever cares about anything there:

I DON'T WANT A FREAKING IPHONE.
    I DON'T WANT A FREAKING IPAD.

I WANT A BLACKBERRY!!

Oh, you just HAD to give every dang phone one of those damn touch screens, and ever since, I've been fighting an utter NIGHTMARE of crap popping up inadvertently, cursors that just FLY past the icons if I use the trackpad, and other UTTER TOUCH-SCREEN NONSENSE that has made my BlackBerry far less productive than my older devices.

JUST GIVE ME A REAL BLACKBERRY WITHOUT A DAMN TOUCH SCREEN!!

Or, at least, give me a control to TURN THE DAMN THING OFF!

Oh, but I still wouldn't mind having a bigger, higher-resolution screen.

I DON'T FREAKING CARE if there are millions of illiterate morons who can't spell, can't write a complete sentence, and will go through life writing I R STUPD. I bought a BlackBerry years ago to get that excellent keyboard, and it's still what I want the most.

And, instead of "trying to be another iPhone," why on THE FREAKING EARTH can't you comprehend the unique value of your products??

I WILL NEVER, EVER, SO LONG AS I LIVE, "CONNECT TO SOME COMPANY'S SERVER" IN ORDER TO GET MY INFORMATION INTO MY PHONE!!

Look -- what's that??? A FREAKING USB CABLE!!! Gosh, my COMPUTER has a whole bunch of USB jacks, and my phone has one, too.

HOLY FREAKING COW, I CAN JUST HOOK UP ONE FREAKING CABLE, AND SEND MY INFORMATION TO MY PHONE!!!

WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!

Nope, not a word of that from the folks at RIM. While everyone else "goes to the cloud" and a nightmare of security risks, I'll fight to my dying day to have a device I can simply connect to my computer, and synchronize my data all by myself.

So, fine, RIM -- PLEASE, lose this "copy the iPhone" nonsense, and go back to doing things you have always done so much better than everyone else. If that means you take a smaller share of the market, SO BE IT!! You can EASILY hang onto your loyal customers, so long as you stop PISSING THEM OFF with your stupid "gotta copy the iPhone" strategies.

So, if this new strategy means "we're going to stop trying to copy the iPhone, and concentrate on secure, "no touch-screen games nonsense" devices, I'll be FAR happier than I have been over the past couple of years.
    03-29-12 08:56 PM
    correct. The curves they sell at low cost that didnt have much competition are now seeing some competition. The losing marketshare you see in canada and the US is now starting in other countries too
    Yup in trinidad and tobago digicell JUST released the iphone 3 months ago and everyone is tossing their blackberries away.

The reason blackberrys are doing well in 3rd world markets is that iphones and android were not offered there but now this is RAPIDLY changing.

Its over.
    03-29-12 09:01 PM
    I agree with this someone PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!! Also why give those 2000 devices to developers?? or is that cancelled??
    To write business apps! Oh you thought someone was going to natively port Temple Run to blackberry devices? LOL
    03-29-12 09:05 PM
    What does this all mean? Are they pulling out of the consumer market or not? Are they just talking about the music and video store, and that is what Mr. Heins was talking about we can't do it alone, or is it over for the consumer?
    03-29-12 09:14 PM
    What does this all mean? Are they pulling out of the consumer market or not? Are they just talking about the music and video store, and that is what Mr. Heins was talking about we can't do it alone, or is it over for the consumer?
    Read a neutral forum if you want the truth like: BlackBerry maker to cede most consumer markets - Yahoo! Finance

This has nothing to do with music and video, it means things like facebook integration, games are no longer a priority which sucks as the main problem with Blackberrys is the programming APIs are horrible and I was hoping they would be fixed for BB10. But now that they are moving away from the consumer market those broken APIs will stay the same and thus developers will continue to not want to develop for the Blackberry. Native Hulu and netflix.. not going to happen anymore outside of running them in an emulator just like the Playbook. Native ebay client that can do things the ipad and android one can do... nope. Feature rich app like Bank of america for Blackberry, nope!
    Last edited by block911; 03-29-12 at 09:22 PM.
    03-29-12 09:19 PM
    From what I can understand Thorsten was simply saying that there is to much to do in the consumer market and RIM cannot do it alone. Basically he meant why would RIM create all this content and media when someone else already has? Partner with others and then its a win, win. Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Thorsten wants RIM to focus on their strengths and form partnerships to help with their weaknesses. No where in that call did Thorsten once say "that's it we QUIT!!!!" Chill out everyone
    03-29-12 09:22 PM
    I listened to the Podcast... I have come away with what appears to be decent road map... if you read between the lines.... At face value it makes sense for RIM to go where it had sucess before.... Big business..... From what was said I see happening this way..... if all the peices come together.....

1. Focus BB10 smarphones made by RIM to Business....
    2. License BB10 OS to third party vendors...Samsung comes to mind..... that targets the consumer market....
    3. Take the current bb7 phones and sell them in the southeast asia and India where price point is important....

Number 1 gets RIM back it's roots... right now security is not an issue but watch what happens when hackers start using smarphones for spying on major corporations... happening now on a small scale but far more dangerous than hacking a main computer.... just think of all those millions of possible entry points out there with unsecure OS....

Number 2 would help fulfill the consumer market.. The question is will anyone take a chance on BB10 OS.... If a large partner like Samsung did and supplied the hardware.... you would see apps flooding in because it is not RIM anymore making the phone.... Does not mean you still could not buy a BB10 Phone from RIM....

Number 3 are the emerging markets... I have visited Thialand and India often... and currently it is mostly Blackberry with a smattering of Iphone and Andoid.... unless Apple can make a cheap Iphone they will price themselves out of the market... Android has gained traction wth price... but what the good folks in that part of the world love is BBM.... nothing comes close to versatility and price...

To me if they can make these three things happen... the stand a good chance.... if not it will be a tough go....Seems from what I heard that is the direction the new CEO is talking about.....

However it works... I am the type of soul who likes the BB I have and till I need to I do so.... not look at the "greener pastures" in Apple and Android land.....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 03-29-12 at 09:26 PM.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    03-29-12 09:24 PM
    This is suicide decision by RIM. The consumer market drives the business market. That's how Windows PC's entered the datacenter.I root for BlackBerry, but there is no hope. Mismanagement is driving this once powerful company into the ground. Focusing on business customers only is like asking for a death sentence. Business customers want better security and controls and features that integrate with corporate communications. BlackBerry already does that best. Apple and Google went after consumers first, and they're adding in the stuff that made BlackBerry better. Evolve to meet consumer demand or devolve into nothingness. In this day and age very few people are going to carry two cell phones, period. In time Google or Apple will buy what's left just to have their security and technology patents and there will be nothing left.

10 years ago Blackberry had it all because there was nothing like it on the market. Now, with iPhone and Android out there, Blackberry still makes a product that is like nothing on the market. They are making the same phone as 10 years ago and wondering why people aren't buying them.
    Darlaten and Yaceka like this.
    03-29-12 09:25 PM
    From what I can understand Thorsten was simply saying that there is to much to do in the consumer market and RIM cannot do it alone. Basically he meant why would RIM create all this content and media when someone else already has? Partner with others and then its a win, win. Everyone needs to stop freaking out. Thorsten wants RIM to focus on their strengths and form partnerships to help with their weaknesses. No where in that call did Thorsten once say "that's it we QUIT!!!!" Chill out everyone
    That isn't what most would take from it.

"We plan to refocus on the enterprise business and capitalize on our leading position in this segment," Heins said. "We believe that BlackBerry cannot succeed if we tried to be everybody's darling and all things to all people. Therefore, we plan to build on our strength."

That says to me they no longer plan on building a competitive device to iphone/android.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    03-29-12 09:26 PM
    I listened to the Podcast... I have come away with what appears to be decent road map... if you read between the lines.... At face value it makes sense for RIM to go where it had sucess before.... Big business..... From what was said I see happening this way..... if all the peices come together.....

1. Focus BB10 smarphones made by RIM to Business....
    2. License BB10 OS to third party vendors...Samsung comes to mind..... that targets the consumer market....
    3. Take the current bb7 phones and sell them in the southeast asia and India where price point is important....

Number 1 gets RIM back it's roots... right now security is not an issue but watch what happens when hackers start using smarphones for spying on major corporations... happening now on a small scale but far more dangerous than hacking a main computer.... just think of all those millions of possible entry points out there with unsecure OS....

Number 2 would help fulfill the consumer market.. The question is will anyone take a chance on BB10 OS.... If a large partner like Samsung did and supplied the hardware.... you would see apps flooding in because it is not RIM anymore making the phone.... Does not mean you still could not buy a BB10 Phone from RIM....

Number 3 are the emerging markets... I have visited Thialand and India often... and currently it is mostly Blackberry with a smattering of Iphone and Andoid.... unless Apple can make a cheap Iphone they will price themselves out of the market... Android has gained traction wth price... but what the good folks in that part of the world love is BBM.... nothing comes close to versatility and price...

To me if they can make these three things happen... the stand a good chance.... if not it will be a tough go....Seems from what I heard that is the direction the new CEO is talking about.....

However it works... I am the type of soul who like the BB I have and till I need to I do so.... not look at the "greener pastures" in Apple and Android land.....

Blackberrys in India is DEAD.

Top 10 Mobile Phones in India

All the iphones and android are coming down in price and flushing the blackberry's away.

The reason iphone's traction took so long in India is the first model was released so late and the latest model just came out in Nov 26th and already the blackberries are being tossed away. You think india is a bunch of backwards jungle people? They want the very same tech we in the US have ... it just wasn't available until recently. This goes the same for all foreign markets, blackberries are gone, consumers want content rich, fast browsing phones. In india they LOVE FACETIME, there is nothing from blackberry that can do the same as they can call anyone in the world for free now.

http://www.iphonestuffs4u.com/iphone...rice-in-india/

"update (26th November-2011): Apple has release iPhone 4S in India. Check out Airtel iPhone 4S Price and Data Plans, and Aircel iPhone 4S Price and Data Plans.

The iPhone 4S is finally coming to India. Unlike last time with iPhone 4, where it took about an year or so for the India release, the Apple iPhone 4S is about to be released in India within a month of its release in US."
    Last edited by block911; 03-29-12 at 09:34 PM.
    03-29-12 09:27 PM
    It's the end of all, RIM is finished and we all oughta use iPhones starting tomorrow. The Mobile wars are over and everyone will be playing angry birds in their iPads. We lost our time and this site will be absorbed by iMore.

Oh, and the end of the of the world is exactly on December 21st too.
    03-29-12 09:29 PM
    Yup in trinidad and tobago digicell JUST released the iphone 3 months ago and everyone is tossing their blackberries away.

The reason blackberrys are doing well in 3rd world markets is that iphones and android were not offered there but now this is RAPIDLY changing.

Its over.
    Actually untrue... I have been to India and Thailand on numerous occasions... Apple cannot get the foothold they want because of the price point and it is not for a lack of trying.... As far as Android goes they are making a run at BB because to the really cheap phones they are selling ... the problem is many buy Android there and find it does not have BBM and the quality is lacking.... The main selling point for BB as well as price..... Would be interested to see how many switch back to BB.... A stat you will never hear about....

I have not doublt RIM will suffer losses in useres in that market but that is the nature of business.... If you think Apple will not eventually go the way of RIM at some point you need to look back at the history of Technology.... Back in my computer hayday 20 some odd years ago... the idea that A Novel...Lotus or Wordperfect could ever loose their dominance in the market was considered rediculous... They were giants and fell in a short order in less that 5 years..... Such is the world of technology
    03-29-12 09:35 PM
    Actually untrue... I have been to India and Thailand on numerous occasions... Apple cannot get the foothold they want because of the price point and it is not for a lack of trying.... As far as Android goes they are making a run at BB because to the really cheap phones they are selling ... the problem is many buy Android there and find it does not have BBM and the quality is lacking.... The main selling point for BB as well as price..... Would be interested to see how many switch back to BB.... A stat you will never hear about....

I have not doublt RIM will suffer losses in useres in that market but that is the nature of business.... If you think Apple will not eventually go the way of RIM at some point you need to look back at the history of Technology.... Back in my computer hayday 20 some odd years ago... the idea that A Novel...Lotus or Wordperfect could ever loose their dominance in the market was considered rediculous... They were giants and fell in a short order in less that 5 years..... Such is the world of technology
    WRONG: Top 10 Mobile Phones in India

People there prefer Windows Mobile (nokia) to blackberries, again India isn't a bunch of jungle people they want exactly what the US has. It just wasn't available until now.
    Last edited by block911; 03-29-12 at 09:38 PM.
    03-29-12 09:36 PM
    To write business apps! Oh you thought someone was going to natively port Temple Run to blackberry devices? LOL
    If they are going to focus on business apps and not any other type then people wont be buying them. Thats where the whole BYOD comes in u can do business there and play and do pretty much anything with so many apps. People want that. Why would samsung or anyone want to make phones that wont sell except for a small amount of business people (compared to the general population that wants a smartphone) there has to be other type of apps or it will fail. Its not just about having music and movies you have to have other apps. All work and no play sucks!!
    03-29-12 09:44 PM

People there prefer Windows Mobile (nokia) to blackberries, again India isn't a bunch of jungle people they want exactly what the US has. It just wasn't available until now.
    but if you read, it clearly states that list isnt based just on sales. which is very clearly how i would (and so would any business selling their items) define `top`

that 10 is based on `popularity` (which doesnt nessecarily mean sales) and web searches. neither are a industry standard for `top` lol
    03-29-12 09:44 PM

did u read what it said though it "based on the popularity and number of searches on the Internet in March 2012." How many people search ferrari doesnt mean its the best selling car!!
    BBThemes likes this.
    03-29-12 09:48 PM
174 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD