i don't think there is a solution to this issue yet, i just want to put it out there.

as a verizon customer i was recently able to download AOL Instant Messeger (NOT the Mobile IM from VZW which uses SMS) App and it looks great! more options and the messeger alert sounds can actually be changed unlike when using the Mobile IM from VZW.

as my AIM name i use my email address. i'm not sure if this is a new feature or not with AIM, but i've only starting using this as my AIM screen name within the past few months. i can sign onto AIM on the PC fine with it of course. i can sign into Mobile IM (the one from VZW, uses SMS) fine.

however i cannot sign onto the "new" AOL Instant Messenger app using my email address screen name. every time i try to sign in i get, "unexpected server error." it only happens when i use the email screen name format.

i emailed AIM about the issue (they have a section for program bugs) so hopefully it will be resolved soon. i am thinking it IS just a bug because it only happens with this particular app.

anyway, just a heads up in case anyone else uses their email as their screen name and is getting the same error.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-24-08 at 11:34 AM.
    09-20-08 02:27 PM
    Did you try a battery pull?
    09-20-08 02:33 PM
    yes, first thing i did.

i can sign on using my old screen name which was NOT an email address.

that's why i'm fairly sure it's a bug in the AOL App.

if there is anyone else who uses their email address as their AIM name i'd be interested in knowing if they can sign on to the Aim app.

Here's a link to show how to use your email address as your screen name:

https://reg.my.screenname.aol.com/_c...xJcswAAA%3D%3D
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-20-08 at 02:38 PM.
    09-20-08 02:35 PM
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I am not able to sign in using my email address. A normal screen name works fine, but I receive the exact same error.
    09-20-08 02:56 PM
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I am not able to sign in using my email address. A normal screen name works fine, but I receive the exact same error.
    awesome! thank you for confirming!
    09-20-08 02:57 PM
    I get this error when signing in on my normal screen name! Have not been able to get it to work. I can sign in fine on the computer, but not on the mobile app.
    09-23-08 02:20 AM
    I get this error when signing in on my normal screen name! Have not been able to get it to work. I can sign in fine on the computer, but not on the mobile app.
    that's odd. which AIM program are you using? has it always given you this problem?
    09-23-08 12:48 PM
    i'm still waiting on a resolution to this issue. i'm going to report it to AOL AIM again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 06:06 PM
    Update:

It's been fixed! i can sign onto this program using my email address screen name!

Can anyone else confirm that it's working for them?

Very cool.

i wonder if all the recent AIM issues were due to upgrades and fixes like this one...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-08 06:20 AM
    I currently have the same problem as you did... How did you get AIM to work?

There are a good amount of threads in here with this problem and here is one of them

h t t p : / / f o r u m s . c r a c k b e r r y . c o m / f 2 / a i m - i n t e r n a l - e r r o r - 8 5 1 3 8 /

Hopefully everyone can figure this out

Ignore the spaces... the forum won't let me post the URL
    12-13-08 01:11 PM
    mine does work now. i only had an issue when trying to log onto AIM with my email address screen name, not with a regular screen name.

i just went to the AIM site and reported it. i did this about 4 times over a month or so and i posted a link to this thread for them. lol

Report AIM issues here:

AIM - Report A Problem
    12-13-08 01:16 PM
    i cannot login.

i get an "internal server error" message.

I uninstalled AIM and will reinstall to see if this works. my friend can sign on his AIm on his bb...
    12-15-08 08:29 AM
    AH HA!

new version of AIM!

now why didn't my version auto update? How would I normally update it w/out uninstall/reinstalling it?
    12-15-08 08:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD