@BassGeek, you're absolutely right, there's no way you can call the iPhone the first smart phone. But what Apple did do first was to package and market it for the consumer, where every smart phone before it was geared more toward the business user.

As far as the topic of this thread, I don't get tired of iPhone and Android talk per se; they're both pushing the envelope in their own ways, and the fact that they're doing so keeps all the other players on their toes. For example, I doubt we'd be seeing the kinds of phones coming from RIM in a few months if iPhone and Androids didn't push them to it. But what I do get tired of is the my-phone-is-better-than-yours arguments ... you can always find any phone that does something better than any other phone. And no matter how good any phone is today, somebody is working on another one that will bury it in some way tomorrow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This. I love the way every smartphone manufacturer keeps the others constantly innovating & keeping competitive. Competition is a great thing for the consumer.
    K Bear likes this.
    04-20-11 02:13 PM
    Personally I'm sick of all fanboy sense of entitlement that seems to exist only on the internet. It's like so old. I'm a big tech blog/forum reader and having to scroll through HUNDREDS of comments about why Android is fragmented, BB is outdated, iOS is locked down, etc. a day is killing my experience. I think people should enjoy what the **** they have and shut up about it. If you don't care too much for another OS, be an adult and use your words about why it works for YOU, not about what it can do compared to something else. I swear I've never seen a generation so focused on sales and popularity than this one
    04-22-11 12:35 AM
    same story, different people.
    with APPLE's excellent marketing strategy, it's hard to keep up with the truth.
    No one's doing Fact checking anymore.
    Remember last year, during the release of iphone 4 where Steve himself made a lot of people think that Video Conferencing on a phone is pioneered by Apple? Facetime anyone.. now you can ask a regular joe who came up with Video Conferencing and they will answer Apple/iphone in a heartbeat.

As you can see on my signature, i have owned and still own a bunch of Apple products.. what i HATE is the "elitist" attitude that i get from people who recently joined the Apple bandwagon.
    04-22-11 12:57 AM
    By the read of this paragraph, it sounds like your problem isn't your friends discussion; it's that the focus is on the iPhone. You've decided its totally find to "convince" your whole family to use BlackBerry, yet can't seem to stand that people talk about other devices.

Why not let your family make up their own minds about what they want? It sounds as if you're afraid that if you don't push them in one direction, they'll head the opposite way, and they'll end up just like your iPhone-toting friends. Put another way, if the BlackBerry is indeed the best for your family, why is it necessary to do any "convincing"? Won't they end up with BlackBerrys anyway? Why do you believe that RIM needs your help to sell their devices to your family?
    I guess i shouldn't of used the word "convinced" when the only people who asked me for help to find a good phone that would really use it for were my parents.. they don't need farting apps, games.. my parents have an ipod touch and they don't like it..my mom can't stand email and typing on it..(getting my mom on itunes is hard enough) My sisters were the first to get BB's.. for us it meets our needs and it does exactly what a real communication device is supposed to do..
    04-22-11 09:11 AM
    Once again it comes down to personal preference. The iPhone is fine but as some have pointed out, the real problem is the iPhone user thinks the iPhone is the only 'real' phone out there. As well as they're made (they are for the most part) and as well as they work (good there too), I would simply never own one because that particular form factor would bore me silly. I could sit there and play with one for a while and definitely enjoy it but at the end of the day, it just wouldn't keep me happy. Between my Android Tablet and my BB, I'm am very happy.
    04-22-11 09:22 AM
    This one time at band camp.....I had the iPhone for 1 1/2yr and it was a good phone but the luster fades quickly and I'm back to BB again. It's NOT just the iPhone that gets talked up, it's ANYTHING new that comes out. Happened with the BB Storm, HTC Evo, BB Bold, etc....It wont every end.
    04-22-11 09:43 AM
    I'm confused. Did you exaggerate the number of people you actually convinced, or did you exaggerate that you "convinced" anyone?

As a preliminary matter, you don't have to like anything, but it's good to at least offer fair criticisms. If you say there are a lot of "fart" apps, then that's a fair criticism. But we both know there's a lot more than "farting apps" and games on the iPhone. If I were to say that the BlackBerry is only good for e-mail, you'd likely tell me how wrong I am, because that's an unfair criticism of RIM. If you do nothing else on these forums, at least be fair in your criticisms; it encourages others to be fair to you.

The phrase "real communication device is supposed to do" is rather ambiguous. Communication wise, they only thing truly unique about the BlackBerry in terms of communication is BBM, since other devices offer SMS/MMS and push e-mail with Exchange sync as well as physical keyboards. You can point towards corporate e-mail security, but corporate security standards vary, and I don't think your parents bought their BB because of corporate security. Now, if you say "I demand BBM with a physical keyboard," then I get that. But the phrase "real communication device" means different things to different people; to me, a "real communication device" in 2011 includes a front-facing camera and built-in video chat software, yet I don't know of a single BlackBerry with those features, and I'm going to assume in advance that you aren't a big fan of my definition.

Personally, I believe that due to BBM, BlackBerry communications are better for some people than iPhone and Android devices. This is definitely an RIM advantage. The problem is that in terms of application support, RIM is a distant third behind Apple and Android, and the communication features you're likely pointing to are simply not the differentiator they were back when RIM was competing with Palm and Windows Mobile.

You started this thread by asking if anyone was sick of iPhone talk. Why is it an issue? I mean, if the BlackBerry in your hand is truly a better device than the devices your friends are carrying, why would it matter what they have or what they say? Back in 2007, when iPhones weren't as common, I heard a lot of the same talk. A lot of people told me why they felt the BlackBerry was superior. I didn't care, because I knew the iPhone was better for me. You really need to shake this iPhone stuff off. Let them talk about what they want to talk about. . .all that really matters is what's best for you, right?
    i see where you're coming from.. i guess your alias "perspective1" is fitting
    04-22-11 10:20 AM
    It's just like you said, to each his own. So maybe others are sick of your BB talk, lol. I'm not defending apple, I am only saying. I love blackberries and iPhones, but I dont go around telling people you have to get this phone, its the way to go. But if they ask me about it I will answer honestly.
    04-22-11 10:45 AM
    We should admit Apple (marketing and design) with the introduction of iPhone opened the "world of smart phones" to the regular user. Not only that, but what they managed is to get people on Internet with their mobile phone. Before iPhone, being on WinMo, virtually there was no data plans, or such which was hardly enough for my emailing needs. Thanks Apple/Mr. Jobs - you did a great job!

Personally don't have the chance "to get sick" of iPhone/iPad talk - simply I do "maintain", settings/jaikbreaking/tweaking/advice-on-how-to-use ... etc., the iDevices of dozen+ of friends. Only one of them can "lable" as Apple fanboy. Rest of them simply enjoy and have fun with their devices. Talks are more about how to get the most from the handsets.
    It came bit of surprise to them when I moved to BlackBerry, but the explanation that I need a tool (not fun gaming machine in a handset), qwerty and best possible battery life is enough as a reason - and yes, all admit iphone battery life sucks, and keeping chargers at home, office and car.

BTW, no matter how excited and happy I am with BlackBerry, haven't recommended to friends to "convert" - BB don't fits their needs. Probably one or two are considering getting BlackBerry, understanding that a smartphone with great battery life is more important to them than shiny 3.5" capacitive touchscreen. Will see
    04-23-11 09:02 AM
    Look everyone; Every OS has it's place, its good and bad. Which one you eventually get hooked on tends to be a direct result of what you find most important and which of those phones does that well. I think the iPhone and all Android phones really do data and apps and all that better than the Blackberry. The Blackberry however, does some things better than all the rest which I have discovered after coming back to Blackberry after having been on Android for a long while.

1. Battery Life
    2. Incredible customization of ring tones and notifications (very big plus)
    3. Messaging (e-mail, IMs and texting - not that the others are bad just not as good as BB)
    4. Can do EVERYTHING one handed (a very under appeciated detail folks)
    5. I don't have to be nearly as careful with it physically (tough device)
    6. THE best call quality
    7. UMA calling for T-Mo

Last but not least - that wonderful LED which could guide a ship in the night :-)

I have an Android tablet which I use for serious data useage but my BB will do in a pinch and it gives me all the best things in basic phone function (see above)
    04-25-11 10:59 AM
    All my friends ages (26-34) have had iPhones since day one and keep buying the newest model when released. I find it a little odd that each device has been practically the same since the original. Apple really hasn't done anything groundbreaking except the original iPhone at that peroid in time. Now they just have a bunch of iZombies who keep buying them because it is an iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm gonna start by saying that after buying the first Iphone at Launch and the Iphone 3G when it came out, I went out and bought a BB 9000>9700-9800 and just now cracked and came back to an Iphone 4. Let me ask you, how in the world can you criticize Apple regarding a lack in innovation while praising Rim? if anything, an Iphone has evolved slowly but surely through all it's updates and hardware releases, meanwhile Rim is still **** bent on releasing devices w tiny screens and limited App Space. Their flagship BB of a cple of years ago, the Original Bold 9000 had 128 Megs reserved for Apps!!!!!! And when I had more than 5 it would have a memory leak and become unusable!!!!! I had to do 6 Battery pulls a day to keep it working. Do you know what happened after a battery pull???? It would lose 20% of its battery ;life on every Pull!!!!!! Do the Math!!!! I loved the Bold 9700 despite its smaller screen and a smaller keyboard, then it was dropped in snow during a snowstorm and i had to get an Insurance replacement, since the 9700 was disco'd fro ATT, they send me a Torch 9800. And all I have to say if a phone that poorly made is the new RIM Flagship, well then RiM is certainly going down. The slider mechanism started getting loose in just weeks of normal use, the apps are the same apps without any real innovation, touch screen is laggy and unresponsive and the keyboard is cramped ( for my big hands at least ) There is nothing I'd love better than for RiM to come up w real innovation and quality hardware and software, but after a while you just have to say screw it and go with what works. I just took an HD Video, edited it and posted it to Youtube in 3 mins, and when I actually use Youtube i don't have to look at **BUFFERING*** for days on end, so while i'd like to stay open minded and not bash any company, I find you bashing Apple for lack of innovation laughable at best!!!!!
    04-25-11 04:45 PM
    I'm confused. Did you exaggerate the number of people you actually convinced, or did you exaggerate that you "convinced" anyone?

As a preliminary matter, you don't have to like anything, but it's good to at least offer fair criticisms. If you say there are a lot of "fart" apps, then that's a fair criticism. But we both know there's a lot more than "farting apps" and games on the iPhone. If I were to say that the BlackBerry is only good for e-mail, you'd likely tell me how wrong I am, because that's an unfair criticism of RIM. If you do nothing else on these forums, at least be fair in your criticisms; it encourages others to be fair to you.

The phrase "real communication device is supposed to do" is rather ambiguous. Communication wise, they only thing truly unique about the BlackBerry in terms of communication is BBM, since other devices offer SMS/MMS and push e-mail with Exchange sync as well as physical keyboards. You can point towards corporate e-mail security, but corporate security standards vary, and I don't think your parents bought their BB because of corporate security. Now, if you say "I demand BBM with a physical keyboard," then I get that. But the phrase "real communication device" means different things to different people; to me, a "real communication device" in 2011 includes a front-facing camera and built-in video chat software, yet I don't know of a single BlackBerry with those features, and I'm going to assume in advance that you aren't a big fan of my definition.

Personally, I believe that due to BBM, BlackBerry communications are better for some people than iPhone and Android devices. This is definitely an RIM advantage. The problem is that in terms of application support, RIM is a distant third behind Apple and Android, and the communication features you're likely pointing to are simply not the differentiator they were back when RIM was competing with Palm and Windows Mobile.

You started this thread by asking if anyone was sick of iPhone talk. Why is it an issue? I mean, if the BlackBerry in your hand is truly a better device than the devices your friends are carrying, why would it matter what they have or what they say? Back in 2007, when iPhones weren't as common, I heard a lot of the same talk. A lot of people told me why they felt the BlackBerry was superior. I didn't care, because I knew the iPhone was better for me. You really need to shake this iPhone stuff off. Let them talk about what they want to talk about. . .all that really matters is what's best for you, right?

Well Played Sir!!!!!!
    04-25-11 04:49 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD