10-29-10 09:32 AM
40 12
tools
    I'll try to help you if I can but there are some good tips and a checklist already included in the forums.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/wi...cklist-353457/

Wi-Fi Problem Checklist
    Since so many people are having issues with their wi-fi, I have come up with a checklist/questionnaire of most of the questions they will be asked by other users or need to try to fix the wi-fi. Anyone having trouble, please reply and answer or check all the questions so we can expedite the process.

NOTE: Wi-fi WILL work if it is a grey logo and you see the name of the router above the time on the home screen. If you have a dash in your manage connections screen beside wifi, that is because it is unable to connect to BIS or BES servers so you will be unable to receive email or blackberry messenger messages. The browser will still work as well as other data programs like Pandora.

01) Have you turned on wifi on your phone?
    02) Is your home internet currently working?
    03) Do you have a wireless router?
    04) What model is your router?
    05) Is the router broadcasting an SSID?
    06) Are you broadcasting a B or G signal?
    07) Are you using encryption?
    08) Are you selecting the right type of encryption?
    09) Are you inputting the passkey correctly and case sensitive?
    10) Are you using Mac Filtering?
    11) Did you add your phone's mac address to your router?
    12) Can you obtain an IP address from your router? (Options>Status)
    13) Is your wifi signal Grey or White?
    14) What symbol is beside Wi-Fi under manage connections?
    15) Is your router's SSID showing above the time on the home screen?
    16) Have you tried rebooting your router and/or a battery pull?
    17) Have you tried connecting to a different router?
    18) Have you tried connecting to an unsecure router?
    19) Have you tried resetting your router to default settings with a 30/30/30 reset and then connecting?
    20) Are you connecting to YOUR router? (Duplicate SSIDs)
    21) Have you re-registered your Host Tables?
    22) Have you resent your service books?
    23) Is DCHP enabled on the router?
    24) Are you connecting to a public server that requires a login?
    25) Did you select Hotspot Browser as your internet browser?
    26) Have you tried setting your phone's IP address to DMZ on your router?

http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/st...tricks-352700/

Wi-Fi Advice
    1) Wifi is not White, only Grey
    -Resend your service books. This problem has been fixed by RIM and an update has been pushed.
    -A grey logo can mean you are connected to your router but not to Blackberry Services.

2) How do I connect to a WPA/2 wireless connection?
    -Choose PSK and enter your key.

3) I have a Blue Checkmark next to Wi-Fi under manage connections.
    -Your blackberry has connected to the router but is unable to obtain an outgoing internet connection. Check your internet, router for mac filtering, and try restarting the router and reconnecting.

4) Browse the internet faster using wifi when 3G is default enabled
    -In the Blackberry Browser, go to options then Browser Configuration
    -Change Browser from Internet Browser to Hotspot Browser
    -You should now notice a WiFi symbol in the top right corner if wifi is enabled and connected.
    11-25-09 02:23 PM
    My 9550 and g/fs 8530 both connect to my wpa just fine...didnt have an issue hooking them up
    11-25-09 02:56 PM

NOTE: Wi-fi WILL work if it is a grey logo and you see the name of the router above the time on the home screen. If you have a dash in your manage connections screen beside wifi, that is because it is unable to connect to BIS or BES servers so you will be unable to receive email or blackberry messenger
    I also thought that as well. I figured since it had my SSID on top of banner, and i was able to do a diagnostics and see that it has an IP address, and it showed the signal strength, etc....that I still theoretically have wifi working since I can ping yahoo.com and DNS lookup Yahoo.com from the phone even with no checkmark, but when i go to shut off my verizon wireless connection, and browse with just WIFI, i get "you have no connection".

Also, to add to the confusion, once i activate wpa2 on the router, i get the green check on my phone right away, so why on earth would MY encryption have anything to do with connecting to the BIS/BES servers for RIM? WPA2 gives me a green check, WEP gives me a dash but does say connected, very strange. I also agree that if i can do a dnslookup to yahoo.com and i can ping the router from my phone that i should be able to get internet access, but I still dont, and i have internet set to hotspot browser. thanks for the info though, i'm going to try again when i get home.
    11-25-09 03:15 PM
    I tested mine and all is ok. Connected wifi now and have the green check mark.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-09 05:00 PM
    I also thought that as well. I figured since it had my SSID on top of banner, and i was able to do a diagnostics and see that it has an IP address, and it showed the signal strength, etc....that I still theoretically have wifi working since I can ping yahoo.com and DNS lookup Yahoo.com from the phone even with no checkmark, but when i go to shut off my verizon wireless connection, and browse with just WIFI, i get "you have no connection".

Also, to add to the confusion, once i activate wpa2 on the router, i get the green check on my phone right away, so why on earth would MY encryption have anything to do with connecting to the BIS/BES servers for RIM? WPA2 gives me a green check, WEP gives me a dash but does say connected, very strange. I also agree that if i can do a dnslookup to yahoo.com and i can ping the router from my phone that i should be able to get internet access, but I still dont, and i have internet set to hotspot browser. thanks for the info though, i'm going to try again when i get home.
    Hey Joe if it says connected try waiting a bit until it connects to the RIM internet services. I tested it with the mobile network off as well and it took several minutes for RIM services to connect through my wi-fi though it showed I was connected to the wifi network

11-25-09 08:49 PM
    Ok just to confirm. I've been to a few places this holiday. Worked fine with wpa2. Worked fine with zero encryption. Worked fine using wep at another house, but still no good using wep at home. The issue is all me and I hate this netgear router. Goin back to a link wrt54GL running tomato FW. Stupid of me to change it in first place

11-30-09 02:09 AM
    i got mine set-up through my verizon fios router worked like a charm first time
    11-30-09 02:10 AM
    I have my 9950 unlocked on T-Mobile and ever since I unlocked and activated it my Hot Spot Browser option is gone I only have internet browser option...It's really wierd. Also before I activated etc... I tried using the WiFi and it was incredibly slow. I have a really good router that hosts an Xbox 360 and four computers flawlessly and I have 15mbps cable internet so there should be no excuse for slow browsing...Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks

Update: In the browsers upper right hand corner I have a full white WiFi symbol but just searching something like "hi" in google doesnt load just says requesting forever then says unable to connect to the internet, please try again later. If the problem persists please contact your service provider. This is really strange...
    Last edited by illwun11; 12-19-09 at 10:18 PM.
    12-19-09 09:51 PM
    I have the 9550 and use the WPA2 with no problems. First time I tried it wouldn't work and rebooted the router while the phone was searching and then it asked for key and i was in. Have it working in various locations at home and 2 offices with no complaints. Hope you get it working.
    12-19-09 10:22 PM
    I'm using a Netgear WGR164V9 and WPA2 and it works great with the S2. I can go three houses down and still use the "hotspot" browser connected to my home network. Just got my S2 this morning (2nd S1 died about 3am, got the replacement at 10am), and I'm happy with it.
    12-20-09 12:28 AM
    working fine with my WPA also no problems connecting...maybe reset ur modem and router to see if that works!
    12-20-09 01:11 AM
    I'll try resetting the router and modem and keep my fingers crossed. Alothough not reallly sure why that would be the problem since I have four computers, and xbox 360, and a nintendo wii connected with no issues but the storm just doesnt want to work right. Anyone have ideas why my hotspot browser disappeared and now my only option is internet browser? Thanks to you guys who responded.
    Last edited by illwun11; 12-20-09 at 06:52 AM.
    12-20-09 06:48 AM
    Mine works just fine.
    12-20-09 07:18 AM
    Ok so I switched my security to WPA2-PSK [AES] restarted modem and router and now it's working. Maybe was an issue with WEP Security. Thanks for all the input.
    12-20-09 01:25 PM
    This is happening to me..
    On my home i have WEP and it conects but only certain sites loads them fast, and others slow or simply it doesnt load them.

On my office we have WAP and its better, it works faster with all sites.
    10-29-10 09:32 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD