Under an open parachute? Great tool to find the drop zone for landing on a cloudy day. . .
    04-22-09 10:18 AM
    LOL....

I hadn't tried that, but I have had it work at 10,000 feet while hiking up in the Sierra mountains.
    04-22-09 04:58 PM
    I can't remember if I used mine hiking in Yosemite last Sept. The phone worked fine, though. It was in the daypack but I don't think I bothered with the gps.
    04-22-09 08:01 PM
    Under an open parachute? Great tool to find the drop zone for landing on a cloudy day. . .

Is this before, or after the scream?
    04-23-09 06:01 AM
    it worked on pikes peak in colorado springs. the peaks elevation was 14,110 feet.
    04-23-09 11:01 AM
    Can't quite recall who, but I remember reading a post with someone using GPSLogger who actually got a reading while traveling in a commercial airline jet.
    04-23-09 12:47 PM
    I got it to work @ 2500 ft while flying a cesna 150. Trouble was it kept saying I was not on a road + re calculated. Lol.
    04-23-09 01:12 PM
    I have a GPS dongle for my laptop that I got with MS Streets & Trips. In an airplane (Southwest allows GPS recievers to be used in flight, other airlines may not - noteably Amerincan, US Airways in my experience).

It's neat in that you get altitude, speed and heading, lat/longitude and no. of GPS satellies "visible" in a little window, and a GPS trail with your position followed on a moving map. Altitude has been pretty accurate when compared to the announced cruising alitude.

Granted there is a lot less real estate on my Storm, still, it seems like such an app could do at least altitude, speed, heading and location without much problem, and boy would I like that! I could leave my Nuvi at home, one less device/car charge/bracket to carry on the road.

Others have related that some of their GPS devices save their tracks and they can then view their flight path (hang gliding, etc.) in Google Earth's 3D view. Now that would be fun...

That's one reason why I'm "Grumpy Old Tom". Seems you can never quite get it all on one package, even if the hardware is present. It's all the same data, just get it in a format you can use, as the geocachers are doing.

Though to be honest, ya gotta have demand, and someone willing to write it. It generally helps that such a soul be compensated for their efforts, though!

(trundles off to see what Garmin has to offer...)
    04-24-09 12:33 PM
    ive been able to get the built in GPS in my 8330 to work at 5000 while taking one of my trips from tampa to keywest. once we got up above 5k ish it would just say searching for sattelites.
    04-24-09 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD