My hard drive has crashed three times after doing OS related installations and I'm wondering if it is related.

The first time was when I tried to downgrade from a .152/.133 hybrid to .114. My boot file got corrupted beyond repair and I had to reinstall Windows.

The second time was when I tried to upgrade from .114 to a .152/.133 hybrid. I got the "A disk read error has occurred. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart" message and I had to completely reformat and reinstall Windows on the HD.

The third time was this morning when I turned the computer on. I got the disk read error message again. Last night I upgraded to .168.

I am thinking this is a coincidence since it didn't happen when I updated to .133 or .152 in the past. Each time I upgraded or downgraded I followed all recommended steps.

I think my hard drive may just be defective but I wanted to see if anyone else has had any problems. I am running Windows XP SP3.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 05:59 PM
    I've read one other report in the forums of a user who had to reload Windows after a botched DM download. She was using Vista, so there's probably nothing in common. I suspect you've just got a failing hard drive.
    03-02-09 06:52 PM
    Ya it does kinda sound like its the harddrive. What company makes it (jw)? Reminds me of an old western digital I had. I was destined to get that thing running correctly and after about a month and 50+ reformats it finally started working correctly again. I still have it, haven't had a problem with it since. No clue what it was till this day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 10:28 PM
    Yeah, I think it's just the hard drive. It's a Seagate 5400 RPM 160 GB laptop HD.

I'm getting a replacement sent in a couple days, I was just wondering if somehow installing the BB OS updates on a PC could corrupt the boot file since that's what appears to have happened three times in the past month. I guess my hard drive is just a piece..
    03-02-09 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD