Just curious,

After a couple of weeks of use, I've found I don't often use Blackberry Desktop Manager. Add this to the fact that my laptop takes about twice as long to boot (XP Pro) when this programme is in the startup folder, I thought I'd remove it.

I can still launch it from the desktop icon when I need it, and backup my BB when I do, but for the most part my Bold on a BES connection is pretty much autonomous.

Am I the only one to find the BDM a bit of a slouch during bootup?

Smashey
    05-30-09 04:07 AM
    For me, anything that can be launched by clicking on the programs icon, does not start up with Windows. I mean no reason to have programs loading at startup, especially things like BDM, that do not get used often.
    05-30-09 07:41 AM
    i never had it in my startup folder
    when you install it asks you if you want it to startup with windows i always uncheck the box, even when opening the program it makes my computer slow so i barely use it
    05-30-09 11:34 AM
    Yeah I make sure nothing starts up that doesn't need to...I'm running XP on a mac so its already a bit slow from having 2 operating systems on there.
    05-30-09 12:34 PM
    I made sure that I unchecked where is said to have DM run on startup during the setup. Since I probably won't be needing DM right away every time I startup my computer, there is no need to have it there at startup. I can simply, just click on the icon if I need it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 12:53 PM
    I removed it from my startup for the same reasons. I just click the icon when I want to use it.
    05-30-09 03:38 PM
    I didn't include it as part of my startup from the very beginning. I don't like anything auto-starting... if I want to use it, I'll open it then.
    05-30-09 06:22 PM
    I have as little running at startup as possible. If I ever need to use DM, I start it from the start bar, then close it when I'm done with it.

05-30-09 08:54 PM
    I do a lot of audio/video work on my computer and have the bare minimum of programs running at startup. I don't even use virus protection anymore (too many software conflicts with DAW platform). Been running that way for years with no problems (since Win2k - which is insanely fast on "Vista-capable" hardware - was new).

Anyway; the "bare minimum" at startup (and only absolutely necessary installed applications) is the way to go on the PC as far as I'm concerned. BDM barely fits the qualification of "necessary".

05-31-09 02:17 AM
    I thought I was the only person who hated programs bogging my computer down at startup. I agree with the person who said they don't autostart their virus protection. I manually start mine as well, it speeds up startup a lot too. Even though I am forced to tether my bb for my primary source of internet these days, I don't let it autostart. I'm laid off & its free internet, since I pay my phone bill absolutely.

05-31-09 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD