I personally have loved blackberry os ever since os5(my first berry). For some reason I love every os on bb os5 os6 and now os7. Sure there hasn't been much change between them but I never had a problem with either one. I for one am not looking forward to blackberry switching to qnx for phones. I think it will ruin the blackberry experience. Am I the only one that thinks this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 12:36 AM
    I would not say its going to ruin it. It will definetly change it alot (i would imagine)

However i do completely agree i like the BB OS as it is. I only just got a Bold 9780 after having an 8310, 8900, 9700 and a Bold 9000 i bought when my 9700 got smashed.

I must say for me the 9780 is everything i want in a phone and OS6 has everything i need.

I cannot comment on OS7 as i have only played with it on the simulator but i think RIM are doing the job fantastically as they are.

So i agree im not overly looking forward to QNX phones
    08-17-11 04:03 AM
    im the opposite and cant wait for them to ditch the current ecosystem and move to QNX.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-17-11 04:10 AM
    no QNX, I am os 5 and I love it, getting a 9900 bold soon as it comes out for tmobile.

08-17-11 05:54 AM
    I love BlackBerry os as it is. I just got os 6 when I got my 9650 a few months ago. Before that, I was on 4.5, and even that was okay by me.

My primary concern with RIM's shifting away from the BlackBerry os to anything else (like QNX) is that security will be compromised. I think people want QNX so that BlackBerry can run Android's plentiful selection of dumba$$ applications. I myself have no need, interest, desire, or love for Android or anything Google. I don't even use Google's search engine.

08-17-11 06:35 AM
    im the opposite and cant wait for them to ditch the current ecosystem and move to QNX.
    Hopefully you like the result. I used to be a Palm guy until they switched to WebOS.
    08-17-11 07:55 AM
    My primary concern with RIM's shifting away from the BlackBerry os to anything else (like QNX) is that security will be compromised. I think people want QNX so that BlackBerry can run Android's plentiful selection of dumba$$ applications. I myself have no need, interest, desire, or love for Android or anything Google. I don't even use Google's search engine.
    Don't forget that it's looking like there will only be one QNX phone until at least end of 2012, BB OS will continue to be used and supported on the older Blackberry phones.

I don't see a FULL transition happening for at least well into 2013, and only if the full touch QNX is a success.
    08-17-11 08:47 AM
    I love BlackBerry os as it is. I just got os 6 when I got my 9650 a few months ago. Before that, I was on 4.5, and even that was okay by me.

With Android comes ****ty battery life!
    08-17-11 08:53 AM
    My contract isn't up for another year, so by then QNX may be here in full force. I do look forward to it, but lets face it, its not going to be exactly like the Playbook UI. How do you do a bezel movement/frame controls on much smaller screens? That aspect of the UI won't work quite the same as on the Playbook.

I like OS6, am going to miss out on OS7 completely bc of timing and and my contract. But OS7 does look good from what I am seeing. 1st gen QNX phones could be a hot mess, being new and all, but I would like to see them...
    08-17-11 09:01 AM
    unless they are going to be global phones i dont care anymore.... :'( sucks living ina cdma only area
    08-17-11 09:07 AM
    I don't think QNX will "ruin the blackberry experience".

The UI will most probably receive some tweaks in visuals and organization, mainly due to BB finally moving to more devices with larger screen sizes and higher resolution. But the core apps will still interact in the same manner, and the menu system will most likely be the same as it is now; which IMHO is the backbone of the Blackberry Experience.
    08-17-11 09:08 AM
    I'm interested in seeing what they can do, but I have no interest in owning one, at least not the initial touch-only slab. Give me QWERTY or give me death. Or tea and cake.

08-17-11 09:11 AM
    Don't forget that it's looking like there will only be one QNX phone until at least end of 2012, BB OS will continue to be used and supported on the older Blackberry phones.
    The only QNX phone I've seen is that Colt phone and it looks like a Bold hybrid. Until there is a full screen QNX phone, I'll stick with my S2.
    08-17-11 09:15 AM
    QNX will probably be an exciting step forward for Blackberry but it will be the back end OS. The front end display could depart totally from the current BB os look or it may be identical to it. Let's not forget there are people running older Blackberry phones with OS5 on who's phones work and look like they run OS6 so it's the UI of QNX Blackberries of the future will probably be highly customisable

As Blackberry are well known for their security I'm sure the security of QNX will be a high priority before mass produced QNX phones are let lose
    08-17-11 09:30 AM
    I'm just hoping they keep one bbos phone. That way we get the choice however I don't see that happening.

08-17-11 09:33 AM
    The only QNX phone I've seen is that Colt phone and it looks like a Bold hybrid. Until there is a full screen QNX phone, I'll stick with my S2.
    The Colt is just a very weak rumor. The much stronger rumor is that the first QNX phone will be a 4" touch-screen slab 'superphone', which by all speculation will be a shrunk-down PlayBook with a built-in phone. Also rumors that the first one will be a single-core processor, not dual-core as has been promised by Frick & Frack. This rumor has been further supported by news that RIM has put development of a 10" PlayBook on hold in order to get a QNX phone out quicker.

Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 08-17-11 at 10:06 AM.
    08-17-11 09:51 AM
    The Colt is just a very weak rumor. The much stronger rumor is that the first QNX phone will be a 4" touch-screen slab 'superphone', which by all speculation will be a shrunk-down PlayBook with a built-in phone. Also rumors that the first one will be a single-core processor, not dual-core as has been promised by Frick & Frack. This rumor has been further supported by news that RIM has put development of a 10" PlayBook on hold in order to get a QNX phone out quicker.

Yeah, I would love to have a new Blackberry QNX device. But, based on RIMs history at rushing the newer devices that changed Blackberries(think the original BOLD, Storm, etc..) from the norm, I'll wait for RIM to fix whatever is quickly dropped on the masses- whether it's the end of this year, 1st quarter next year, or later. I love Blackberrries. But, the T2 will be my last Blackberry until I get a QNX Blackberry that lives up to the hype.
    08-17-11 10:13 AM
    I'm interested in QNX, as it will make or break RIM's near-future success, but I am not going to be happy if they do not produce a QNX device in the 99xx form factor. I am not interested in a device without the best-in-class BlackBerry hardware keyboard. I hate typing on glass.
    08-17-11 10:23 AM

I don't use google's search engine either, DuckDuckGo for the win!

08-17-11 12:03 PM
    no QNX, I am os 5 and I love it, getting a 9900 bold soon as it comes out for tmobile.

It's out now...
    http://crackberry.com/t-mobile-launc...rry-smartphone
    08-17-11 12:30 PM
    I don't use google's search engine either, DuckDuckGo for the win!

Just tried it, and I like it! Thanks!
    08-17-11 02:39 PM
    Hopefully you like the result. I used to be a Palm guy until they switched to WebOS.
    Same here. Smartphones started as PDA's, and old timers look for that first.

QNX will be irrelevant to users. it only helps RIM develop faster and as a consequence stay competitive. From the user perspective it adds very little that can't be done in OS7.

Blacklatino likes this.
    08-17-11 02:55 PM
    I think QNX will be great. But, not right away.

It will have learning curves (from the BlackBerry side) and developer growing pains. So... I'm okay not being an early adopter.
    08-17-11 06:31 PM
    Nope. I wish I could still rock with the 9700! But im On Sprint.

08-17-11 07:08 PM
    As long as BB maintains its excellent keyboards and messaging app, I'll be interested in a QNX phone. But the changes probably will be extreme, and applications will probably be few and far between when its released.
    08-17-11 07:48 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD