I have a Tour 9630 and absolutely love it. However, I cannot seem to load any applications/themes/etc. through the Blackberry Desktop Manager and it is pissing me off!!!!

When I download and save an OTA link to my computer, I plug in my Blackberry and start up the desktop manager. I try to use the application loader, but it will only search and recognize .alx files. Unfortunately, those files are very small and the ones usually accompanying them are larger, .cod files. The desktop manager will not load (or even recognize) those files and I dont understand why. It says my BB cannot support it....which is not true.

Also, when the .alx file is loaded, I can view the application, but it does not install on the actual Blackberry.

I am beating my head off the freakin wall trying to figure this out....
    It's not an out of date Desktop Manager because it syncs and searches for updates whenever I load it.

ANY HELP!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    09-06-10 06:08 PM
    The OTA links are .JAD files which are intended to be installed (over the air).

You need to access the link directly via your BlackBerry Browser.

As you have found, you need the .ALX file with the accompanying .COD file on your computer in order to install applications (and themes) via the Application Loader in BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Not all application (and theme) developers opt to provide a desktop installation option.

If you really want/need this option, then you will have to search for ones that offer the desktop installation option.
    09-06-10 06:13 PM
    that makes sense. Thanks for the input
    09-06-10 06:15 PM
    When you download an application it is often in a compressed (ZIP) format. You can view the content of the archive, but Applications Loader can not.

Use Windows File Manager to locate your downloaded file. Right click and choose Extract. That will create a new subdirectory with both AXL and COD files.

In Applications Loader, navigate to the new directory and it should recognize the application and add it to the list for install.

'puters
    09-06-10 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD