Last week I got the notification for the 10.3 update for my q10. I decided to wait and see what other people said about it before updating my phone. I also wanted to take a backup in case anything went wrong and to have a full battery so it wouldn't die halfway through.

Today I took my phone out to send a text. I then put it back in my leather case and back into my pocket. When I took it back out about 5 minutes later it was updating my phone! This should not have happened and I don't understand how it did. The case puts it to sleep and stops buttons from being accidentally pressed.

The problems I have with this are: I was unable to backup or fully charge my phone, check whether I really wanted to update my phone and also do it at a time where I didn't need my phone. Having my phone randomly update during a conversation is really not useful and what I would expect from blackberry. Performance wise the phone is quite a bit worse at the moment but I will give it a while to settle before making a judgement. I just don't understand how something like this could happen?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 08:17 AM
    Perhaps you had automatic updates on???
    Anyone else forced into updating to 10.3?-img_20150223_092734.png

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    02-23-15 08:28 AM
    If you had "automatically download and install software updates" off, then yes this shouldn't have happened. If you left the default setting "on", then it did what BlackBerry designed it to do.

Personally I agree that default should just be notification of updates, that the user should be responsible for choosing to install or not... as timing could be very critical.
    02-23-15 08:28 AM
    Ok well that explains that...
    I Didn't even realise that was an option, if I did it wouldn't be turned on so thanks for telling me . I guess it rebooted itself as it sometimes does and then installed it that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for your help. Here I was getting all angry at blackberry for this when it was actually my fault

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 08:34 AM
    Yeh I agree with you I didn't even realise this was an option

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 08:35 AM
    Same thing happened here. There is a menu behind the 'check for updates' box where you can turn off automatic updates. I didnt think to do this when i switched phones and now i am hoping i dont have to turn off my Q5 and finalize the update because i dont have the resources right now to dink around with it on a computer that works, and having to educate myself in following directions. I will be forced to just put my sim card back in the Z10 for the time being (which refuses to update past 10.1). The Q5 on 10.2 is FAR superior to the Z10 on 10.1, funny i only switched a couple days ago having no clue i would have a huge update pushed onto my 8 gigabyte phone when i have another phone (atnt) frozen in the past. The Q5 was never locked to a carrier so updates fall freely from the sky to my phone... which SHOULD be a GOOD thing, i know.

aarrgh.
    02-23-15 08:45 AM