Thank you for your nice reply, and not sarcastic and arrogant replies I've gotten. It was an honest question regarding BB10's versatility and not a promo for an iPhone. If you have 75 percent of friends and family who have an iPhone, then really? What is the advantage of having less than one percent of a device sold in the US? What? Wait for at least three to four more upgrades on a BlackBerry until it reaches at least 40-50 percent? If even that? Thornton Heins himself foresees a device/PC. In any realistic terms, that will take huge marketing, excellent devices, and a few years of word of mouth.
    11-25-12 04:30 PM
    Its not the carriers but the consumers appetite for the latest and greatest electronics! Carriers would sell more of Rims products if they would sell! Look almost all of the us carriers are behind BB10 so the carriers must be seeing something special in Rims new product.

As long as BB10 is a success and I believe it will be then Rim will become a major player again in the smart phone market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-25-12 06:12 PM
    Yeah I bet when it gets closer to launch and after BB10 comes out, Carriers will be well trained to back up BlackBerry.
    11-25-12 06:26 PM
    OH MY!! EXCLUSIVE NEWS IN 2012

There's continents too and many countrys spread across the whole world which is round yeah I know crazy stuff.
    You yanks really are arrogant bunch or what??.You think RIMS banking on US market and US carriers for support lol.You think they went on WORLD tours for lols?? You people think you NEED the US to sell a product and to make money?? RIMS playing different game out here.

As for this redundant app talk some of you guys really not deep thinkers.You talk like these app developers are loyalist and exclusive to orange and cyborg platform.The truth is these app developers care about money they want to get PAID they want to get PAID FOR THEIR WORK.Why would they not port their apps over to a user base over 60 million worldwide whom many are waiting to get apps they could'nt get before but always wanted, many waiting to jump on the app wagon its bascially untapped revenue stream.You then factor all the piracy going on at other platforms why would a developer not increase his or hers revenue on a platform that has many users seriously I think some of you not cut out for money making I dont know smh.

I dont know maybe cause there's not many posters or something but good threads dissapear too quickly only negative/skeptical & BB10 PIC/news threads stay relevant.There was a quality post by jamesalexander fellow which went under the radar had excellent view on some of RIMS developer and app gathering work.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...2/#post7743203

RIMS been playing 3/4 moves ahead of people some of you guys need to keep up.This s""t chess it aint checkers!!!
    Last edited by RECOOL; 11-26-12 at 06:45 AM.
    axeman1000 and Cesare21 like this.
    11-25-12 07:21 PM
    I'm curious why the gold standard for a platform is measured by whether or not it has Skype or Netflix?
    Because 'the market' has spoken & those two APPS are cememted into the consumers minds...
    ...My wife has an iphone 4s, she talks to her family in Asia over SKYPE.
    ...I have two friends in the middle east & I talk to them via SKYPE on my iphone.

EVERY SINGLE person I know that has an ipad has and uses Netflix so while I agree that for a phone it's NOT a very big deal....
    ...It would be a big deal because if BB10 phones can't use Netflix you can count on the Playbook NOT being able to use Netflix.
    ...The same goes for SKYPE - & instead of the BB10 phone selling the Playbook the two RIM devices would only insult each other.

If a Person starts out with an iphone and is happy with it's "media consumption abilities"....
    ...That same person will be prone to seriously consider an ipad.
    ...I.E. Millions of iphones have sold millions of ipads ( this is the kind of position RIM needs to find itself in ).

I'm sure there are other apps that people are waiting for but all I ever hear about it Skype and Netflix. I can see why Skype is essential but Netflix honestly has a terrible programming selection (IMO). Personally, I think RIM should do one of two things...... either partner with their current video store vendor (name is escaping me at the moment) to offer a similar online-only rental model like Netflix......or partner with a company like Dish Network/Blockbuster to bring new release content as well as streaming tv content (Sling media) to the PlayBook and BB10 handsets.
    Myself, I don't use Netflix on my iphone - that however is NOT the point...
    ...The point is that the iphone CAN & that means the ipad CAN.
    ...And in the consumers mind THAT is worth it's weight in gold.

As for SKYPE it's a staple of what is a smartphone today because businesses use it with the same velocity as consumers use it.....
    ...It's a household name - it's what is expected and the consumer EXPECTS it.

Look, I'm a huge fan of RIM and the last thing I want to see is them go down the tubes - I want to see them where they once were.....
    ...What I can't do is justify, on a discussion forum, why RIM year after year fails to provide what the majority of it's customer base has come to expect.
    ...The reason RIM is in the place it is now is because they have failed in a huge way to provide what people expect as far as functionality.

If RIM continues to listen to the majority of Blackberry apologetists found here on Crackberry......
    ...The only thing they will end up doing will be to continue appealing to a rapidly diminishing demographic of people.
    ...No one that's in business should want to do that.
    11-25-12 08:36 PM
    So what will hold back the American market if Skype and Netflix are there at the launch, that stupid talking cat in the app store? Face it, it will always be some app as the American market is lead by status and itoy is the cool standard. The fact that siri is useless and calls drop all the time means nothing. The cloud is now causing issues but yet people in America are standing in line for a minipad, YET IT IS OLD HARDWARE AND THE SAME OLD OS! It can't be that they are that clueless that in six months it is older news, it has to be the status. If the browser supported all web sites using a app with limited features would not be a big issue. I just think because it is a a canadian owned company America is not quick to embrace it. The media has been ruthless in burying rim and now there seems to be alot of back pedalling to say they stand a chance, but last year rim was dead.
    11-25-12 09:18 PM
    Skype: I would like to have it, for both video chat and as a cheap way to make VOIP calls to mobiles and landlines when abroad. FaceFlow seems too fill this niche, but I hope RIM comes out with their own solution for video chat as well... and it sounds like they are. They just need to offer a desktop version and I would be happy. For the VOIP part, I could go with any service, as I would be calling to mobiles or landlines. No need for some cross-platform app.

Netflix: I can't imagine watching shows/movies on a phone; however, I can totally imagine watching a show/movie on the PlayBook hooked up to a TV, then disconnecting, to take along with me. The PlayBook's HDMI out is a natural fit for that.

As for the actual topic of this thread, yes, I've witnessed a Sprint rep tell a customer that the new BB Bold can't Facebook or use Twitter. This is after the customer said she had a Blackberry and was looking for a new one.
    11-25-12 10:11 PM
    it is pretty unprofessional for any rep to make some blanket statement like that. I talk to different reps at the verizon store near me and most all of them usually will say blackberry has its place. which is true. obviously current os7 phones are not for most users that want apps, huge screens, etc. but there is a certain pecentage of customers that just need an a class messaging device, with a great keyboard, and location services tied to a browser and apps, etc. rim "owns" this market however small it is. any reasonable sales rep should admit that much. I was in that verizon store 3 days ago and the bold and curves were center floor. if there was zero demand they'd keep them in the back.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-25-12 10:33 PM
    Very simply put.. sales reps at Sprint/VZW/AT&T stores et al... are not mobile geeks. Most of them (and really I mean most) haven't a clue about anything except what they're told to sell. Sure you'll find a few that actually do spend time on these forums and know what they're talking about, but that's really really rare. The typical extent of their knowledge for any tech related issue is to reset the device to factory, even when it's inherently obvious to anybody else who works in the industry that it's not needed.

I would go out on a limb and speculate that the majority of sales reps for any US carrier haven't a clue about the BB10 OS and/or devices beyond that they've heard that RIM is pushing out yet another upgrade. And in their defense (not that I'm defending ignorance), unless they diligiently follow the industry online (unlikely as really, they get paid very little can couldn't care less) they really aren't aware of what RIM is about to push out.

The most the average carrier rep knows is what they learn a couple weeks before a new device is released, and the few hour training session they occasionally receive. They don't go home each night and research the industry. They don't care. They don't get paid enough. They just show up each day and sell the phones they're instructed to sell.

[edit]OH, and too... there's this simple fact of the sales industry you're overlooking. The person you're talking to isn't hired to sell you a device down the line sometime in the future. Their job is to sell you a device and a service contract today.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    11-25-12 11:08 PM
    So what will hold back the American market if Skype and Netflix are there at the launch, that stupid talking cat in the app store? Face it, it will always be some app as the American market is lead by status and itoy is the cool standard. The fact that siri is useless and calls drop all the time means nothing. The cloud is now causing issues but yet people in America are standing in line for a minipad, YET IT IS OLD HARDWARE AND THE SAME OLD OS! It can't be that they are that clueless that in six months it is older news, it has to be the status. If the browser supported all web sites using a app with limited features would not be a big issue. I just think because it is a a canadian owned company America is not quick to embrace it. The media has been ruthless in burying rim and now there seems to be alot of back pedalling to say they stand a chance, but last year rim was dead.
    This ^^^^is an immature post, there are a ton of foreign companies doing well in the U.S...From a professional standpoint I can accomplish a lot more on my itoy vs my bold 9900. America embraced BB's big time at one point, however people needs changed while RIMM remained the same. The battery pulls, spinning clocks, lack of high quality apps (professional & consumer related), pushed users to other devices.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-25-12 11:30 PM
    last year, it was more liek last month RIM was dead
    11-26-12 12:28 AM
    Yeah I do feel that way, I've had tons of people I know repulse against RIM/Blackberry.
    Yet I love it, I think it's great.
    11-26-12 12:30 AM
    Very simply put.. sales reps at Sprint/VZW/AT&T stores et al... are not mobile geeks. Most of them (and really I mean most) haven't a clue about anything except what they're told to sell. Sure you'll find a few that actually do spend time on these forums and know what they're talking about, but that's really really rare. The typical extent of their knowledge for any tech related issue is to reset the device to factory, even when it's inherently obvious to anybody else who works in the industry that it's not needed. YES! I understand salespeople don't know much if anything, but they do know what devices sell the most at their stores, and believe, BlackBerry isn't one of them. Will BB10 turn that around? I sure hope so. And about RIM's FTUS/NA attitude some of you in other country's have, I don't give a rats what sells the most in South Africa or China or Europe! I live in the USA...so if RIM wants to ignore what it really takes to market and sell in North Amerca, no problem. God didn't stop making smartphones because RIM drug their feet for almost two years. If other countries are happy with cheaper devices, more power to them and RIM for making bank from that.

I would go out on a limb and speculate that the majority of sales reps for any US carrier haven't a clue about the BB10 OS and/or devices beyond that they've heard that RIM is pushing out yet another upgrade. And in their defense (not that I'm defending ignorance), unless they diligiently follow the industry online (unlikely as really, they get paid very little can couldn't care less) they really aren't aware of what RIM is about to push out.

The most the average carrier rep knows is what they learn a couple weeks before a new device is released, and the few hour training session they occasionally receive. They don't go home each night and research the industry. They don't care. They don't get paid enough. They just show up each day and sell the phones they're instructed to sell.

[edit]OH, and too... there's this simple fact of the sales industry you're overlooking. The person you're talking to isn't hired to sell you a device down the line sometime in the future. Their job is to sell you a device and a service contract today.
    11-26-12 07:02 AM
    I cry if Netflix isn't on the latest devices, but I never end up using it. Why bother with Netflix on a 4" screen? Who caaaares.
    Because a lot of people do use it. I do on the treadmill at the gym. Plenty of people entertain themselves at airports on layovers or waiting for appointments on that 4" screen. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean millions of other people agree with you.
    pillswoj likes this.
    11-26-12 09:08 AM
    Because a lot of people do use it. I do on the treadmill at the gym. Plenty of people entertain themselves at airports on layovers or waiting for appointments on that 4" screen. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean millions of other people agree with you.
    Exactly.
    I don't use it, or Skype. But the consumers who have moved away from BB in droves do use apps. And they are not likely to give up Netflix and get back to BB because if "flow" or "hub" or any such feature.
    RIM needs to cater to those who DO watch movies in tiny screens or who use Skype's video calling.
    RIM's precipitous decline after failing to recognize Apple's threat should have served notice.
    Hope the comeback is within the year.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and shaleem like this.
    11-26-12 09:44 AM
    All the carrier rep post are anecdotal. I have talked to VZW Reps about BB10 and had several tell me they were interested in seeing it. Several said that have been here and looked at the leaks and like it. I agree with most folks here that voice the opinion that its the "heat of The Moment" If BB10 is cool and works well people will look at it and buy it. Especially if it sells well and thier friends buy them. People are sheep period. As far as the apps I would like to see as many as possible available to BB10 users, including Skype and Netflix. Its a personal choice on what apps are important to you. I have no intrest in Netflix or Skype, but thats me not you. We all have our devices for different reasons, communications, entertainment, neccesity, or a combination of reasons, that is the important factor to consider when people are deciding what device to purchase. I have often wondered what would happen if the carriers stop giving subsidies to devices and consumers had to pay for a fair price for a device. People would shop features, OS, functionality, and PRICE. I think it would change the whole dynamic. I think BB10 will have a solid launch but not take the world by storm (no pun intended LOL). It will take time to build and will do well in the long run IF Blackberry can keep improving and innovating.
    11-26-12 09:52 AM
    Personally I could careless about skype or netflix I think watching tv or movies on a phone is stupid
    Millions of other people would disagree with you.

Exactly.
    I don't use it, or Skype. But the consumers who have moved away from BB in droves do use apps. And they are not likely to give up Netflix and get back to BB because if "flow" or "hub" or any such feature.
    RIM needs to cater to those who DO watch movies in tiny screens or who use Skype's video calling.
    RIM's precipitous decline after failing to recognize Apple's threat should have served notice.

I've yet to use Skype or FaceTime, but like you said, there is a market for both apps plus Netflix and yes, even Angry Birds or the Zynga With Friends games. If one platform doesn't have it and a user wants it, the user will leave. RIM should know that much by now.
    11-26-12 09:59 AM
    All the carrier rep post are anecdotal. I have talked to VZW Reps about BB10 and had several tell me they were interested in seeing it. Several said that have been here and looked at the leaks and like it. I agree with most folks here that voice the opinion that its the "heat of The Moment" If BB10 is cool and works well people will look at it and buy it. Especially if it sells well and thier friends buy them. People are sheep period.
    Not everyone buys something because their BFF has one. One of my closest friends has an Android phone and another has a flip dumbphone and yet I have an iPhone.

When I bought my first BB it was because my sister had an old Pearl model I think and I thought it was cool. After that, I bought what works for me.

I have often wondered what would happen if the carriers stop giving subsidies to devices and consumers had to pay for a fair price for a device. People would shop features, OS, functionality, and PRICE. I think it would change the whole dynamic. I think BB10 will have a solid launch but not take the world by storm (no pun intended LOL). It will take time to build and will do well in the long run IF Blackberry can keep improving and innovating.
    Maybe, but the MSRP of both the iPhone - depending on the storage size - and BB Bold are about the same without carrier incentives. Even with incentives and a two year deal, some models of the iPhone and several Android models are still cheaper to buy than a BB device.
    11-26-12 10:01 AM
    Exactly.

+1

Im worried RIM is banking on "the hub" being a reason to flock. I really hope on january 30 it isnt one of the big key items.
    11-26-12 11:50 AM
    If you have 75 percent of friends and family who have an iPhone, then really? What is the advantage of having less than one percent of a device sold in the US? What? Wait for at least three to four more upgrades on a BlackBerry until it reaches at least 40-50 percent?
    That was probably a question someone had asked when the iPhone first came out and 75% of the people were still using BB...and now look at how things are? Consumer usage, fads, and technology popularity is a dynamic face, ever changing. What is the #1 gadget right now will not be the #1 gadget a year or two from now (and, yes, I say one year or two...things can change that fast with technology). So I don't go with % of the population when I choose my products...I go with what works for me now and possibly a few years from now.
    11-26-12 11:51 AM
    Yes, I understand that, the Sprint CSR was fully aware my upgrade isn't until June 2013. She was just giving me her overall opinion of the huge decline Blackberry has taken, and sees no rebound, even with the BB 10.
    She works as a sales representative. She may not be very bright. She may make a lot of sales because she is good looking and outgoing.
    11-26-12 12:32 PM
    Personally I could careless about skype or netflix I think watching tv or movies on a phone is stupid
    What about on a tablet? Or are we only going to be able to do that if we have a BIS account? (I know I'm gonna get reamed for that one)
    11-26-12 12:36 PM
    Thank you for your nice reply, and not sarcastic and arrogant replies I've gotten. It was an honest question regarding BB10's versatility and not a promo for an iPhone. If you have 75 percent of friends and family who have an iPhone, then really? What is the advantage of having less than one percent of a device sold in the US? What? Wait for at least three to four more upgrades on a BlackBerry until it reaches at least 40-50 percent? If even that? Thornton Heins himself foresees a device/PC. In any realistic terms, that will take huge marketing, excellent devices, and a few years of word of mouth.
    Apple is becoming a niche product too. It is only selling about 15% of new smartphones. Therefore, it will suffer the same fate as RIM.
    11-26-12 12:37 PM
    skype is a huge must-have, netflix not so much IMHO
    11-26-12 01:17 PM
    I really could careless about them too, BUT BB10 needs to have them for 2 reasons:

A) Media + consumer backlash
    B) To stop seeing countless threads about them
    11-26-12 01:19 PM
80 1234