Which if I remember correctly is what I said? Did I not say some require it some dont? or am I just making that up in my head

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Refer to post #143.

Stop taking everything so personally just because I disagree with some things you say. Seriously.
    08-12-08 05:16 PM
    that's not a verizon store, that's an authorized dealer, and no offense to your boss, as he may try to run a very tight ship with proper info for his reps, but, if I had a penny for every time I've heard misinformation out of an authorized dealer, I'd be the owner of 5 ferraris 2 million dollar homes, and would never have to work again.

the only place you get ACCURATE info from any cell company is corporate locations, and the company is the only one that owns those locations.
    and I agree...and as helpful as this site is with info...if I had a penny for everytime someone on this site misinformed a user I might have the same thing.

08-12-08 05:16 PM
    Refer to post #143.

Stop taking everything so personally just because I disagree with some things you say. Seriously.

Im not taking it personally, you jumped on me when I pointed out what another poster said about it being required...and in that same post said some require it some dont and you told me to do my research and said the same thing. Nothing a stranger says to me is going to be taken personally.

08-12-08 05:18 PM
    ok, but, here's the point, if verizon, sprint, at&t, and alltel all do require it, the only major carrier that I haven't verified requires the data package with purchase of a blackberry is t-mobile....so, if they don't require it, that'd mean that they're the only one that doesn't.....but, I promise there are AT&T users that don't have the data package, does that mean AT&T doesn't require it? no, it just means they've removed it and AT&T can't verify that they're still using a blackberry.

as far as the "you can use it but you'll get charged for what you use" that doesn't apply on blackberry devices, because the carrier isn't providing the data directly, they're providing link up to RIM, RIM sends the service books as well. When you go into your configuration on your phone, and do a nameserver lookup on the DNS addresses, they're with RIM, when you look up any of the other addresses you can find, they ALL point to RIM, your carrier just acts as a gateway, much like buying DSL from AT&T but using AOL as your ISP.
    08-12-08 05:22 PM
    ok, but, here's the point, if verizon, sprint, at&t, and alltel all do require it, the only major carrier that I haven't verified requires the data package with purchase of a blackberry is t-mobile....so, if they don't require it, that'd mean that they're the only one that doesn't.....but, I promise there are AT&T users that don't have the data package, does that mean AT&T doesn't require it? no, it just means they've removed it and AT&T can't verify that they're still using a blackberry.

as far as the "you can use it but you'll get charged for what you use" that doesn't apply on blackberry devices, because the carrier isn't providing the data directly, they're providing link up to RIM, RIM sends the service books as well. When you go into your configuration on your phone, and do a nameserver lookup on the DNS addresses, they're with RIM, when you look up any of the other addresses you can find, they ALL point to RIM, your carrier just acts as a gateway, much like buying DSL from AT&T but using AOL as your ISP.
    WHOA you totally read too deep into what I said.
    Im done going in circles.

08-12-08 05:27 PM
    I don't think he necessarily read too deep into what you said, I think he offered a valid explanation.
    08-12-08 05:30 PM
    ^^ exactly what I was trying to do, there's the ability to "pay for what you use" with any device that your carrier is the one providing the service, however, with a blackberry, unless you are paying for the service, your carrier doesn't create your gateway to RIM, which means that you simply cannot use, because there is nothing there to use.
    08-12-08 05:46 PM
    Thank you for this thread....for revealing the truly clueless and those with zero credibility.
    08-12-08 05:46 PM
    really? care to share who's clueless and has no idea what they're on about? cause honestly, I know where my info comes from, since it's common knowledge that both BIS and BES servers are hosted by RIM and not by the individual cellphone carriers....
    08-12-08 05:59 PM
    How about we close this topic???
    I feel another storm coming along.
    08-12-08 06:01 PM
    could be, especially after a remark like that one.....no matter who it's aimed at, someone's gonna get pissed.....
    08-12-08 06:03 PM
    Guys I didn't mean to start WW3 or anything with this thread. Yes, I may have worded it wrong in the first place to a degree. It all boiled down to coming to the site asking members for workarounds and things of the sort just as asking us how to help them STEAL a CURVE or IPHONE that they so-called found. People were saying that we should mind our own business but what they don't realize is that they made it our business when they came to the site asking how to do things without a data plan in the first place. We've already had people admit that they don't have them which will help one of your theories that on certain carriers they weren't required because of the sim card and such, which by the way makes sense I might add. Another major point that we were all trying to add was the fact of the Data making up the Berry and having full potential, and if you're not going to have Data, why even buy a Berry?? Some have had good reasons why they don't have one but the others that post here asking for a workaround in my opinion is just trying to beat the system and don't want to pay the $30 bucks a month for Data. We have had many of those post that were trying to beat the system. What say all of you???

08-12-08 06:35 PM
    Guys I didn't mean to start WW3 or anything with this thread. Yes, I may have worded it wrong in the first place to a degree. It all boiled down to coming to the site asking members for workarounds and things of the sort just as asking us how to help them STEAL a CURVE or IPHONE that they so-called found. People were saying that we should mind our own business but what they don't realize is that they made it our business when they came to the site asking how to do things without a data plan in the first place. We've already had people admit that they don't have them which will help one of your theories that on certain carriers they weren't required because of the sim card and such, which by the way makes sense I might add. Another major point that we were all trying to add was the fact of the Data making up the Berry and having full potential, and if you're not going to have Data, why even buy a Berry?? Some have had good reasons why they don't have one but the others that post here asking for a workaround in my opinion is just trying to beat the system and don't want to pay the $30 bucks a month for Data. We have had many of those post that were trying to beat the system. What say all of you???

And here is where it gets sticky..............

There's two groups of people who don't want to pay for data. Those who are, pardon my saying, too cheap to do so but still want it, and those who simply cannot afford it and don't even try the work-arounds. I still can't help but think, however, that a Blackberry is a waste without data. Otherwise, again, it's just like any other phone.
    08-12-08 06:41 PM
    Yeah, it's amazing how unethical people can be over a few dollars. I agree if you aren't going to get the data why not just buy a PDA instead? Not trying to inflame this thread just saying why bother with a BB when a PDA will do most of what people are looking for.

08-12-08 06:41 PM
    or, a regular cellphone?
    08-12-08 06:55 PM
    I buy tennis shoes and don't play tennis Do you think tennis players around the world should all go into convulsions and tell me I'm ridiculous

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE..... if someone wants to PAY MY BILL I would be happy to order all the Berry services available whether I need them or not
    08-12-08 06:59 PM
    Yeah, it's amazing how unethical people can be over a few dollars. I agree if you aren't going to get the data why not just buy a PDA instead? Not trying to inflame this thread just saying why bother with a BB when a PDA will do most of what people are looking for.

Good one arcin and jenaywins, my point exactly!!

08-12-08 07:02 PM
    I buy tennis shoes and don't play tennis Do you think tennis players around the world should all go into convulsions and tell me I'm ridiculous

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE..... if someone wants to PAY MY BILL I would be happy to order all the Berry services available whether I need them or not
    SandAngel, that's totally different and not at all the same caliber of what we're discussing. I think you missed something here. The whole true deal is this. No one actually said that anyone is ridiculous for not having a data plan for the most part. Actually, this thread doesn't have anything to do with the members that didn't post asking how to beat the system. It has to do with the members that ARE posting asking for a workaround so they don't have to purchase a data plan. Some members have got offended and it didn't have anything to do with them especially if they never posted asking for this type of help. No intent meant sweetheart!!
    08-13-08 07:42 AM
    This is exactly what we're all speaking of people!! Read and take heed!! Trying to beat the system!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/bb-...-alltel-61122/
    08-13-08 07:50 AM
    This is exactly what we're all speaking of people!! Read and take heed!! Trying to beat the system!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/bb-...-alltel-61122/
    How is that trying to beat the system? The OP simply asked if it was possible. Some people have legitimate reasons to want bb (even if temporarily) without data.....nothing to do with being "unethical" or trying to "beat the system."
    08-13-08 07:59 AM
    How is that trying to beat the system? The OP simply asked if it was possible. Some people have legitimate reasons to want bb (even if temporarily) without data.....nothing to do with being "unethical" or trying to "beat the system."
    2020, I think you're also missing the point. Yes I do know people want a Berry for different things. By the same token, there's a lot of hardcore Berry fans here. A Berry is meant to have a data plan, plain and simple. That's how it was designed. I bet if you look at that same thread that he started, the replies are at a minimum. Members are getting tired of that, that's all I'm trying to say. When you throw something like that at me, that's like saying, � Apollo, Vivica Fox wants to be your girlfriend but you can't have sex with her�!! What's the point?? What say you??

08-13-08 08:45 AM
    I dunno, down when the OP actually replied to say "it's for my wife, I've got a curve, she just wants it for better texting" I gain a little sympathy, however, not much, with the company he's with, and the setup they offer, it'd only cost him $20 a month and then he's got unlimited data for her too, which, is quite nice, and for a husband/wife, I recommend against texting but rather using BBM since it's considerably more difficult for a BBM message to misroute and end up on the wrong person's phone, whereas in some places, when the network is overloaded, texts can be randomly misdirected.

I think the question "can I do this" is at times a dangerous one because there are a lot of knee **** reactions, "oh you're trying to get over on it" is the most common, until someone says "there's got to be a way to do it" I don't mind, most of the time, it's probably someone just trying to double check what the sales rep told them, trying to make sure they're not getting screwed in the interest of the rep's wallet.
    08-13-08 08:51 AM
    I dunno, down when the OP actually replied to say "it's for my wife, I've got a curve, she just wants it for better texting" I gain a little sympathy, however, not much, with the company he's with, and the setup they offer, it'd only cost him $20 a month and then he's got unlimited data for her too, which, is quite nice, and for a husband/wife, I recommend against texting but rather using BBM since it's considerably more difficult for a BBM message to misroute and end up on the wrong person's phone, whereas in some places, when the network is overloaded, texts can be randomly misdirected.

I think the question "can I do this" is at times a dangerous one because there are a lot of knee **** reactions, "oh you're trying to get over on it" is the most common, until someone says "there's got to be a way to do it" I don't mind, most of the time, it's probably someone just trying to double check what the sales rep told them, trying to make sure they're not getting screwed in the interest of the rep's wallet.
    I can get with that dhyde79, that is, the way the question was asked. To me or anyone else, it's automatically taken as such even when the OP already said that I know that this question has already been beaten with a stick, but!!
    08-13-08 08:59 AM
    My thoughts exactly! My husband has absolutely no need and zero time to surf the net or check email on his bb but he uses everything else that doesn't require a data plan: address book, text, alarm, camera, calendar, etc. He had a data plan for a month then he realized he never used it so he got rid of it.
    PCg~ The point is, your husband wasnt trying to get something for nothing. He realized he didnt need a data plan, so therefor he ditched it. He doesnt fall into the category of wanting to do things that require data and looking for a way to accomplish those tasks minus the data plan.
    08-13-08 09:07 AM
    While I agree that people who want data should pay for data, why put down people who love their BB as a useful tool and don't feel the need for data? My wife has a Curve + data and uses the email all the time. I am always around a computer and don't need instant email or internet, hence I don't need data. My Pearl is still hands down the best phone I have ever had, way better than my Razr.
    CousinB~ This is not about people not feeling the need for data; but about people who do need it, but dont want to pay for it.
    08-13-08 09:12 AM
303 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD