No, I do not get upset when a person has a Blackberry with no data plan. I find that to be none of my business as long as they do not post here and ask why they cannot receive email or browse the web just because they brought a blackberry. Other than that all is good and to each his own
    08-11-08 10:53 AM
    While I agree that people who want data should pay for data, why put down people who love their BB as a useful tool and don't feel the need for data? My wife has a Curve + data and uses the email all the time. I am always around a computer and don't need instant email or internet, hence I don't need data. My Pearl is still hands down the best phone I have ever had, way better than my Razr.
    Again, no one is putting anyone down for not having a data plan. Just stop posting asking for a workaround or saying your Berry is crap because some people decide not to get what they need. Everyone that posted, kudos for them but you must remember that the people that POST asking for a WORK AROUND so they don't have to pay are the ones that I'm referring to!! How do I do this without data, how do I do that without data, it's old!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 11:23 AM
    I don't really care if people have a plan with it or not. But I do think it's such a waste of phone if you don't have the plan. When I used to have my treo, I knew two people that had treo's also with no plan. They said they just wanted it for the calendar and music. A regular phone can do that.

Anyways most of the applications for the blackberry use data. How are you going to have a blackberry without having EMAILS, google maps, browser, weather app, search app (live search, 411), jivetalk (if you like chatting) and there's a whole lot more that I don't even use.
    08-11-08 12:11 PM
    i dont really care, because it severly limits what you can do. I dont mind paying for all the added benefits and features.
    08-11-08 12:24 PM
    have the date plan ever since i got my berry, i do not use it a lot, i thought i would but i do not, still debating if i will removed it or just keep it..
    08-11-08 01:11 PM
    Dont mean to start chit...But what business is it of anybody's...Play with your own BB...and let them play with theirs..lol...
    08-11-08 01:25 PM
    It doesnt bother that my friends dont have a data plan yet, since most of them just got their BB and and never had one before so its something for them and eventually they will get it.
    What really boils my blood is seeing people getting a BB(Curve) just be cause its a new phone out there.
    For example: This old timer has a curve and just makes phone calls only. He doesnt know how to put the BB inside the magnetic BB pouch the right way, for the track ball groove.
    Now that make me sick to my stomach.
    08-11-08 05:09 PM
    Dont mean to start chit...But what business is it of anybody's...Play with your own BB...and let them play with theirs..lol...
    as someone who has to support them as part of my job, it's very pointedly my business. my wife's aunt and uncle both have blackberries (8700 and a 8120) and it drives bonkers that they want the phones for the cool stuff they do without any data connectivity, but, don't want the data package so the phone can do the really cool stuff it's designed to be able to do!
    08-11-08 11:58 PM
    Well I'm getting either a Cruve or a Pearl 8120 from at&t w/o a data plan because I don't like any other at&t phone and they're both better for texting, which I do a ton of. And the Pearl has WiFi but the Curve doesn't. I wouldn't really surf the web or check emails on my phone, but from reading this thread it seems like there's no point to a blackberry w/o data. I'm still trying to decide which one; should i go for the pearl cause of the wifi or stick with the curve cause i like the full keyboard?
    08-12-08 12:21 AM
    So many people over on Sprint Users forum always ask about this. I try to make people understand that you either do things how they are meant to be used and setup or you don't get a BB at all. They want to cut corners and all this and it doesn't make sense.

It's like going to buy a Hummer and wanting to use regular gas instead of premium to save money, it's not going to work and it doesn't make sense.
    08-12-08 12:22 AM
    eh, I'd have said it's more like asking at the ferrari dealership "now, since I just bought this ferrari, can I go down to the gas station and fill it up on the cheap ****?" and wondering why the salesman tears up your check and takes the keys back away from you.

blackberries are designed to be data devices. if you want a texting phone, buy a non-smart phone. if you want a blackberry, get the data package too. it's really that simple, if you can't afford it, look at alltel or verizon since they bundle the data package in with your unlimited text and your voice plan.
    08-12-08 12:30 AM
    Well we can't switch phone plans, and I've been using a moto L7 for 2 years and all I want is a keyboard phone. What's so bad about wanting the phone becuase it's the only keyboard phone my service offers that I like?
    08-12-08 12:33 AM
    I cant say that I get mad its like what Larry The Cable Guy says, "Its like wiping before ya P**P, it just dont make sence."
    You cant experience the full potential without data.
    08-12-08 01:02 AM
    dhyde79, you said it well too, I agree. All the different providers have different options and price levels to cater to your budget. It's up to the person and I agree if your just into texting there are a variety of full qwerty keyboard phones for that use.
    08-12-08 01:14 AM
    Well I'm getting either a Cruve or a Pearl 8120 from at&t w/o a data plan because I don't like any other at&t phone and they're both better for texting, which I do a ton of. And the Pearl has WiFi but the Curve doesn't. I wouldn't really surf the web or check emails on my phone, but from reading this thread it seems like there's no point to a blackberry w/o data. I'm still trying to decide which one; should i go for the pearl cause of the wifi or stick with the curve cause i like the full keyboard?
    Stick to the Curve along with the Data plan. You will be amazed by what you really have in your possession.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-08 01:36 AM
    What's so bad about wanting the phone becuase it's the only keyboard phone my service offers that I like?
    Nothing whatsoever. You can still use a BB as a functional organizer/PDA/phone even without a data plan. This thread is about people trying to 'beat the system' and do things with a BB that you need a data plan for, but without paying for it.

For purely texting purposes, the Curve is the way to go.
    08-12-08 02:07 AM
    Nothing whatsoever. You can still use a BB as a functional organizer/PDA/phone even without a data plan. This thread is about people trying to 'beat the system' and do things with a BB that you need a data plan for, but without paying for it.

For purely texting purposes, the Curve is the way to go.
    Exactly Kronk!! That's what the thread is all about but some people read it and don't realize it. About (HOW TO BEAT THE SYSTEM!!)
    08-12-08 05:43 AM
    I'm sure we'd all like to have full functionality and not have to pay for a data plan, but that just ain't gonna happen any time soon.
    08-12-08 06:17 AM
    I don't have a data plan and I can surf the web and text, I have the g-mail app on my Berry so I forward all my e-mail to my g-mail, 5.99 internet gets me all of that. OH yes you can say I beat the system I always do
    08-12-08 08:45 AM
    I don't have a data plan and I can surf the web and text, I have the g-mail app on my Berry so I forward all my e-mail to my g-mail, 5.99 internet gets me all of that. OH yes you can say I beat the system I always do
    You're on a generic data plan I'm assuming. That's not beating the system, it's using a built in feature of the phone. And texting doesn't use data. "Beating the system" would be finding a way to use BB apps that require a BB data plan without paying for it.
    08-12-08 08:56 AM
    Well we can't switch phone plans, and I've been using a moto L7 for 2 years and all I want is a keyboard phone. What's so bad about wanting the phone becuase it's the only keyboard phone my service offers that I like?

why can't you? EVERYONE has the ability to change carriers at will, and if you're at the point of getting a new phone, you're also very close to not having a contract, or you're buying the phone outright, or on ebay, and chances are you can find that phone cheaper by signing up new with a different carrier and still pay the cancellation fee and have spent about the same amount of money...

I deal with these daily, if you don't want the data features, don't get a smartphone, seriously, the phones aren't happy without them, if you get a smartphone but can't afford the data features, go to a cellular provider that offers them in a manner which you can afford it (personally, I recommend alltel or verizon in that aspect since they bundle all of the features with your plan)
    08-12-08 10:20 AM
    Wow, this thread is littered with clueless presumptuousness....and bad analogies.
    Last edited by 2020; 08-12-08 at 10:41 AM.
    08-12-08 10:29 AM
    Wow, this thread is littered with clueless presumptuousness....and bad analogies.
    lol agreed
    08-12-08 10:43 AM
    why can't you? EVERYONE has the ability to change carriers at will, and if you're at the point of getting a new phone, you're also very close to not having a contract, or you're buying the phone outright, or on ebay, and chances are you can find that phone cheaper by signing up new with a different carrier and still pay the cancellation fee and have spent about the same amount of money...

I deal with these daily, if you don't want the data features, don't get a smartphone, seriously, the phones aren't happy without them, if you get a smartphone but can't afford the data features, go to a cellular provider that offers them in a manner which you can afford it (personally, I recommend alltel or verizon in that aspect since they bundle all of the features with your plan)
    I can't change carriers because I'm on a family plan and the family wants to stay on AT&T.
    08-12-08 11:40 AM
    I can certainly understand wanting to stick with the family plan, saves a buttload of money all the way around.....

and as far as "littered with clueless presumptuousness....and bad analogies"

I take it you're a user not a sales or support rep, try looking at it from another angle, if your job consists of trying to explain to people why their phone doesn't do what they think it should do without the data package, and why they're required to have it. Aside from that, whether it's a line we as reps are told to get customers to buy it, or whether it's true, we're told that the data package is a requirement from RIM, and is part of the contract signed between the carriers and RIM when the phones are purchased. I'm not sure how sprint and verizon work, but, I do know that alltel has an automated system that checks ESN's active in the system, when it finds a blackberry, if it doesn't have either the BIS, BES, or BIS/BES feature added, it automatically adds the BIS/BES feature. My understanding (which may be wrong, I admit, I've only got what I'm given by the carrier I work for to go off of) is the reason that GSM users can get away with not having the data package, is because the ESN of the phone isn't tracked in the billing systems, only the SIM card, and since there's no difference in SIM card between a blackberry or a RAZR or any other phone, they can't track whether a blackberry is being used, to enforce the feature being added.

If what info I'm given by my carrier is right, the data package truly isn't OPTIONAL, it's just not enforcable on the GSM networks like it is on the CDMA ones. Verizon or Sprint customers, speak up, do you have the choice in whether you have the blackberry feature, or do you not? I know verizon's website before they went to the bundle setup they have now forced you to have the data feature if you were ordering a blackberry, but, I don't know if you're required to have it if you get it in the store.
    08-12-08 02:43 PM
303 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD