Hello there,

My father has an iPhone 3GS that he is going to give me because he bought a BlackBerry Bold 9700. He has a lot of SMS messages on his iPhone (approximately 3500) and I was wondering if there's a way to transfer them from the iPhone to the BlackBerry.

I've been doing some research for around two hours about this and I came up with an application that I used on my Mac. It's called PhoneView and it is very good. I can view all the SMS Messages on the iPhone (each contact and all the conversations are shown) and I can export all the conversations into three formats:

1. PDF
    2. TEXT
    3. XML

Of course when I export as Text and XML, they look very unorganized and crappy. Which format is best to import on a BlackBerry?

I currently have a BlackBerry Curve 8520 and I know that you have several conversations stored with EACH contact, and that's the way it works on the iPhone, and I was wondering if transferring it like that is possible.

Hope my point is clear and thanks for your time.

Tarek Elsakka.
    10-05-10 07:20 PM
    You won't be able to import them.

BBM has the ability to store message history, and when you add SMS contacts to BBM, your SMS history can also be saved. It is just text files in CSV format. Each contact has its own file.
    10-06-10 07:26 AM
    Let me ask this one tiny question......

Why has your father saved 3500 SMS messages? And why does he want to keep them?

Just curious.....
    10-06-10 07:44 AM
    His job involves a lot of text messaging and phone calls to people aboard and here. It's a multinational company. At least 85% of the SMSs are very important as he deleted most of the unimportant ones (took him around a day).

I used PhoneView on Windows and I copied them to the computer's hard disk. Also SSH'd into the iPhone and copied the "sms.db" to the computer's hard disk.

So the only question I'm left with now is "how do I transfer them to the BlackBerry?" but after giving it some thought, I don't think it is possible.
    10-06-10 10:16 AM
    About the only thing I can think of is finding a way to separate them by contact, then save them as text files. You could then copy them into MemoPad, or one of the other notepad apps. That would keep them on the BlackBerry, although they would be outside of the SMS app.
    10-07-10 08:51 AM
    Thank you, mate. I stored the sms.db, text, PDF, and ANTS files of the SMS directory on my computer and I'll just use PDF to view them on the computer or the sms.db to restore them on the iPhone.

Thanks again!
    10-07-10 08:54 AM
    same with me, I have important sms way back 2010 that is stored on my iphone and i used them from time to time.
    I hope there is a way to import this to BB sms database...

it will be hard to consolidate the sms in txt format unlike if you have the history of the conversation link to the contacts.
    03-29-13 07:36 AM
    I think there is a way to complete this, there is an app that supports iPhone to Android SMS migration, And Android to Blackberry 10 migration is very much possible. I'm trying to get the app and test to see if it will work sideloaded onto a Q10
    06-22-13 01:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD