Today's BIS problems got me wondering if there is a way to make google maps use a direct connection to your carrier's network, rather than go through BIS.

For instance, today while BIS was all jacked up, I was able to use Opera Mini for browsing, but google maps was behaving the same was as the BB browser... just sitting there doing nothing while I tried to scroll and get more sections of the map.

I know there are no adjustable preferences in google maps for network settings, but thought maybe you adjust the APN's or something? Any ideas?

I'm not worried about my plan being blackberry data or not... all my browsing on Opera mini, which to my knowledge is separate from BIS, has not been billed separately from my BB data plan.

Thanks!
    11-16-09 03:02 PM
    Google maps requires data, when it's down then that is that. The network is for just calls texts and basic stuff. I am afraid this is not an option.
    11-16-09 03:11 PM
    Then how does Opera mini successfully load web pages when BIS is down? (It actually loads a lot faster than the BB browser, even when using the HTTP mode) .
    11-16-09 03:13 PM
    if im not mistaken opera uses opera severs not RIM servers. The data outage probably involves rim servers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 03:17 PM
    So google maps specifically has to go through RIM servers then?
    11-16-09 03:19 PM
    Today's BIS problems got me wondering if there is a way to make google maps use a direct connection to your carrier's network, rather than go through BIS.

For instance, today while BIS was all jacked up, I was able to use Opera Mini for browsing, but google maps was behaving the same was as the BB browser... just sitting there doing nothing while I tried to scroll and get more sections of the map.

I know there are no adjustable preferences in google maps for network settings, but thought maybe you adjust the APN's or something? Any ideas?

I'm not worried about my plan being blackberry data or not... all my browsing on Opera mini, which to my knowledge is separate from BIS, has not been billed separately from my BB data plan.

Thanks!
    Is BIS having issues?

I'm currently in Chicago right now, and I have the same problem. Googlemaps take FOREVER to load if it even loads. Is that what's going on right now?
    11-16-09 05:44 PM
    yea my google maps are basically useless today.... they just hang and say loading, with no arrows indicating communication at ALL. I'm in washington dc
    11-16-09 06:15 PM
    I use At&t & only have problemqs is their server is down. I don't use BIS to my knowlege because I cant use BBM etc.

Last edited by cherryjuice; 11-16-09 at 10:15 PM.
    11-16-09 10:11 PM
    This is helpful, thanks.
    11-16-09 10:51 PM
    My google maps won't connect right now either - is BIS still down?
    11-16-09 10:59 PM
    Unfortunately Google never fixed that problem so far. They're thinking 2005 when there wasn't much use of a tcp port.

Now that there is use... They should get with the times. Carrier connections are far more reliable, they're the ones that carry BIS/BES services after all.

OP. It is technically possible, but you'd have to rewrite the code, when it comes to which connection is accessed. If you notice a lot of other applications now have a choice between connection, and if one is down it tries the other. Versatility.

What is good with BIS is the packet compression so you're essentially speeding things up versus going direct tcp pipe.

11-17-09 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD