Hello,

I have a 9630. Verizon user. Great phone, but I feel like I did tons of research and still got the wrong phone for my needs.

I am in China where the ideal means of connecting would have been via WiFi, which of course this model doesn't have. I have not been able to figure out how to get a China Mobile sim card that would permit me to get emails. The roaming rate is $20.38 per megabyte, which would mean my current backlog of messages would run about $2000.

Does anyone know if I could BlueTooth pair the phone with my PC in order to get mail when I am in range of the PC?

Thank you.
    06-13-10 09:35 AM
    No, you cannot get internet via Bluetooth to your BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-10 03:50 PM
    You may already be using this so this may or may not be a partial workaround for what your after, I wasn't sure of your exact setup in China. You could forward your BB emails to another email account like GMail or a similar account and check your BB emails from your computer. This doesn't solve the convenience problem of checking them from your BB but at least you would have access to your emails whenever you could get an internet connection on your computer. Open Managing email messages and then email message forwarding at this address: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...ail-2.6-US.pdf
    06-13-10 06:03 PM
    You may already be using this so this may or may not be a partial workaround for what your after, I wasn't sure of your exact setup in China. You could forward your BB emails to another email account like GMail or a similar account and check your BB emails from your computer. This doesn't solve the convenience problem of checking them from your BB but at least you would have access to your emails whenever you could get an internet connection on your computer. Open Managing email messages and then email message forwarding at this address: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...ail-2.6-US.pdf
    I don't think that is what the OP wants... obviously a user can check their
    email from their PC, so unless the problem is that they can't check their
    blackberry.net email without a data plan, I don't know why a user would
    check email using a bluetooth to Blackberry.
    06-13-10 07:02 PM
    I don't think that is what the OP wants... obviously a user can check their
    email from their PC, so unless the problem is that they can't check their
    blackberry.net email without a data plan, I don't know why a user would
    check email using a bluetooth to Blackberry.
    A user might want to do it because s/he doesn't have a data plan and his or her phone doesn't have WiFi.

Thanks for everyone's response.
    06-13-10 07:25 PM
    Why wouldn't you just use the PC to check your emails in your posted scenario?
    06-13-10 09:07 PM
    Heh! That was the obvious question... but the OP just wanted to know if
    it was possible to get the email on the Blackberry through bluetooth, so I
    didn't ask it...
    06-13-10 09:13 PM
    I certainly do that now, thank you for asking.

I have seven email accounts which deliver to my Blackberry, making it a handy consolidator of emails (as part of my job, clients often ask me to take a me @ theircompany .com account). I realize I could create some equivalent of this by forwarding all seven accounts to one other account and checking via PC, but this is not terribly desirable. I also have a couple of accounts where I could NOT forward due to various considerations.

I also have accounts which are accessible only via Outlook Web Access or webmail and Blackberry. OWA is setup in both instances to timeout after 15 minutes, making monitoring those accounts a torment without the Bberry. And those accounts are not forwardable as a result of client confidentiality issues.

Even if I could get email on the device with a USB tether, that would be preferable to keeping OWA and Outlook and web-based mails monitored. In some cases, I've only ever used the bberry to monitor these emails.

I am generally nearby the computer, so this is why I seek some solution that would operate like WiFi for retrieving emails.

I had no idea it would be difficult at all to sort out the China Mobile data/voice sim card issue, which may be the true solution. The tethering or BT solution would be good to know, as I travel a lot, but don't want to pay roaming fees.

Thank you.
    06-13-10 09:27 PM
    The tethering or BT solution would be good to know, as I travel a lot, but don't want to pay roaming fees.

Thank you.
    There is no tethering or BT solution if you don't have a data plan with your
    current phone.
    06-13-10 09:32 PM
    There is no tethering or BT solution if you don't have a data plan with your
    current phone.
    As I explained in the first post, I am a Verizon user currently in China. I have a US Verizon data plan.
    06-13-10 09:51 PM
    As I explained in the first post, I am a Verizon user currently in China. I have a US Verizon data plan.
    The situation is that you're in a foreign country and the data is expensive.
    If you have your data turned off there, then your emails cannot be pushed
    to your Blackberry.

BT is not possible. You will have to check your emails on your computer,
    and log in repeatly if your account times out. It is unfortunate, but that's
    all you can do as long as you are there in China.
    06-13-10 10:01 PM
    A few tips, turn off automore, turn off show images(in browser as well), mark read emails you don't wanna read, forward all your emails to one account or just keep the one account you really want to use and take the other ones off bis. Use bbm as much as you can.
    Probably be a good idea to unsubscribe from all newsletter you might get or mark them as spam on your computer to stop them being forwarded to your blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD