I'm getting the Bold 9700, but I'm growing more attracted to the Pearl 9100 every time I glance at the pics. Since I want QWERTY (plus the 9700 is pure hotness, duh), I'm considering the 9100 as a secondary BB...basically switching back and forth whenever I want.

What are legit reasons for owning multiple BBs if I'm not a corporate man and I don't require more than one phone line?

I can't think of proper justification, I need help from you addicts!
    11-20-09 07:39 PM
    For me there are several. Being on a GSM carrier if one craps out I can swap
    out the SIM, spend 5 minutes on the BIS site a few minutes restoring from a
    backup be up and running.

Also, when upgrading / reloading the OS I can do the above and not be without
    a phone for the duration.

I miss not having a spare so the 9100 will be a perfect backup.
    11-20-09 07:45 PM
    Good call, and thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

Without trying to go off-topic, I haven't had any personal experience with BIS and backups, etc., but when you say backup is that to say all your info and data is "checkpointed" once in a while?

Anyway, let's see what the no-term price is...if it's around 4-500 then I'll definitely pick one up ASAP.
    11-20-09 07:52 PM
    Backup is not specifically a function of BIS. Backups are normally done via
    Desktop Manager and you have to do that manually or set DM to do so automatically.

In either case you would need to connect the phone to the computer.
    11-20-09 07:56 PM
    I see. Well since that potentially won't be an issue ever, I should probably stick to hearing different opinions on the value of having 2+ BBs on one line for a university student and research backups and all later on (when I get my 9700).
    11-20-09 07:59 PM
    I like having a Blackberry in fashion colors, so I'd get a color 9100 if I buy the 9700. And, its always good to have a back-up BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 08:45 PM
    I have an 8330 that I keep around for when I'm doing activities that could damage my precious tour! Also, if something did happen and I broke or lost my tour, I could use my backup until the replacement arrived. I mean seriously, could u imagine going 48 hrs without a phone?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-09 09:21 PM
    No way, I once left my phone at residence when I went to class (just a minute's walk away) and I couldn't stop thinking about the missed calls and texts for the entire three hours...
    11-20-09 09:54 PM
    I do this all the time with swapping between all my berries listed under my name. At times its daily, or every other day, or I'll even go a week with the same phone.
    11-20-09 10:14 PM
    Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a second BB, but a cheaper older one to play around with
    11-20-09 11:28 PM
    I hope verizon gets the 9100 cause the pearl series is an awesome phone.
    11-21-09 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD