I have read rumors that the QNX phones may finally support Exchange without BES or BESX. Is there any shot that functionality comes to OS7 in the near future. Sure there are workarounds, but my experience with Astrasync and Notify Sync was that both have their shortcomings. I also understand I will hear from a bunch of people that BESX is free, but we have tried it on our server and decided we just do not need an extra thing to support when people in our organization can simply use Exchange with every other smartphone operating system.

I really want to pull the trigger on the new Bold as I have been waiting for it for almost 3 years , when rumors first started sneaking out. With the upgraded OS and Browser along with Sprint's Google voice integration I can finally have a work device that fits all my needs (almost all) and use a personal device that can be interchangeable when needed.

So what is the deal with Exchange? In my opinion, this is holding Blackberry back for adding new and old, but new again users. No reason they cannot still offer BES for organizations who want the features and Exchange integration for companies who want the simplicity.

Come on, RIM. I am trying to support you.
    08-19-11 09:10 AM
    It is a LONG shot to see BBOS7 support exchange in the future,
    Seeing it happen with QNX is easier as they are building QNX from new. but OS7 is still built on OS6 which was built on OS5 etc which use BES or BIS for email and that is just how it is done on the backside it would be a large patch or rewrite of the system to remove BIS/BES from the equation.
    08-19-11 10:07 AM
    Thanks for the response. Couldn't RIM provide a workaround Exchange solution no different than an AstraSync type model that does not use the BES/BIS? Just a thought here.

I am going to give it a go again as I really need a device with a keyboard, so I will try and make it work.

As a quick aside, what is the best way to get support for BESX. My bigger problem with getting it working at our company is our IT guy/consultant does not know what he is doing. He tried to install it and it messed up our server so he gave up. We have about 40 internal users on our exchange and I have the authority to install it if I can get it to work properly. Thanks again for the help.
    08-19-11 12:03 PM
    i agree with deRusett, it would be nice, but maybe not feasible
    08-19-11 12:05 PM
    Thanks for the response. Couldn't RIM provide a workaround Exchange solution no different than an AstraSync type model that does not use the BES/BIS? Just a thought here.

I am going to give it a go again as I really need a device with a keyboard, so I will try and make it work.

As a quick aside, what is the best way to get support for BESX. My bigger problem with getting it working at our company is our IT guy/consultant does not know what he is doing. He tried to install it and it messed up our server so he gave up. We have about 40 internal users on our exchange and I have the authority to install it if I can get it to work properly. Thanks again for the help.
    we don't know HOW RIM programmed the delivery service for email, nor how it's push and notifications are tied together so we can't say if it would be possible to just "make a work around" grand scheme for them is get business using BES or BESX, and Microsoft is going to be supporting Hosted BES with Office 365 which says that Microsoft supports RIM and isn't pushing heavily for direct active sync
    08-19-11 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD