Hey all!
    I'm used to defrag-ing my Windows machines every few days cause I'm downloading and deleting so much, got me to thinking.
    I've downloaded and installed a few apps, then decided I didn't like/need them, so I deleted them.
    Is there any reason to, or way to, run a defrag type of action on the Curve?
    06-10-08 08:57 PM
    Remove the battery while the device is on. Fire it back up. Anytime you download a theme or a 3rd party app you should do a battery pull after download is complete. Read up on the forum and use the search tool to help you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-08 09:02 PM
    Remove the battery while the device is on. Fire it back up. Anytime you download a theme or a 3rd party app you should do a battery pull after download is complete. Read up on the forum and use the search tool to help you.
    Who told you that? There is absolutely no need to do a battery pull when installing or uninstalling software, or changing a theme.

In fact, you should only rarely ever have to pull the battery, especially if your model supports a "reset" with ALT-CAP-DEL.

If you get a JVM error, your handheld locks, or you get say a persistent icon, despite their being no message, you will find that if a reset does not clear the condition, often a battery pull will. But even then, you'll find that only necessary if you can't power off the unit instead. People tend to pull the battery way to often, and that may indeed screw up your system by corrupting memory resulting in a non-recoverable JVM error 200.

If you have a JVM error which does not allow the unit to boot, then you'll have to reinstall the OS, and this may require removal of the battery.

Battery pulls should be a last resort, not a profilactic, and are only rarely needed. I have not pulled the battery a single time on this unit, and can count on one hand the number of times I've had to do so, and I have installed and deleted 100's of applications.
    Last edited by patrick.waugh; 06-10-08 at 09:29 PM.
    06-10-08 09:26 PM
    ^^^ Some applications require a restart in order for the app files to be fully deleted off the handheld. That's why they ask you to restart after the uninstall is done. Doesn't mean that the program is not uninstalled, because you won't see the icon for it, but it will not release the memory that the files are taking up. If you don't buy that, then maybe you should start going through the diag log on the BB while it logs the startup routine.

Also, the 3-finger salute causes 2 types of resets on QWERTY BBs. Depending on uptime, the first can be a simple warm restart (will not release memory) while a second within 10 secs of startup will cause a cold restart (similar to a battery pull) which will release memory. The dead giveaway on which one you just did will be if you hourglass or not on startup. If you do, it's a cold restart.
    06-10-08 10:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD