I have a Bold 9700, which is a nice phone, when you have a signal. When you don't it is so frustrating. I am actually holding back on upgrading to the Torch because of the AT&T network. I have 1 yr left on my contract and I am certain that before it expires, I will leave early for Verizon. Although the smartphone options with Verizon aren't as many as with AT&T, I'm willing to use a lower-featured phone with a good network.

Does anyone know of any plans that AT&T has to improve its network?
    11-28-10 04:47 AM
    I hear people here saying ATT coverage is so bad. I have had ATT for about 10 years and have had very few problems with signal coverage. Actually, I am very pleased with where I can get signal on my cell with ATT.

I'm in WV so maybe it's a regional thing? I don't know....
    11-28-10 10:09 AM
    I had ATT and Verizon and if it wasnt for my work using ATT, I would still have Verizon. A lot less dropped calls. ATT is horrible.
    11-28-10 10:14 AM
    Same here my ATT coverage is much better than verizon and I'm right outside of Pittsburgh. When I had VZW the phone was usually on 1X and signal with ATT is excellent. It depends on where you are located and not to mention my employer gives a bigger discount on AT&T. : )
    11-28-10 04:00 PM
    I'm on AT&T and I never have a problem with reception. My brother (and almost all my friends) are on Verizon and I've never been anywhere that they get better reception. I haven't traveled the country and really don't go too many places with them, but we often go to and through rural areas here in Iowa and SD, and there's no difference. So maybe where you're at AT&T isn't very powerful, so you might need to switch to Verizon, but don't say a whole company is bad because of your (assumingly) limited experience with it's network.

Also, try switching it to 2G only, that may get you better reception in low coverage areas.
    11-28-10 04:13 PM
    I understand the danger of painting a broad brush with ATT, but in my area (Boston area), 95% of people I come across have the same complaints with it, and I have been at events where ATT has no signal whatsoever whereas people I meet there on VZW are able to make calls without issue...it does depend on the area, but I guess AT&T's coverage is horrible in my area. In a yr or less I likely will be going to Verizon and will be able to know for sure...Based on what I hear from people I know and trust in this area and others, on average Verizon appears to have better coverage and fewer dropped calls. Then again we may just reside in Verizon-strong areas.
    11-28-10 04:48 PM
    That is very odd. I live in CT and travel to Boston and the surrounding area quite
    often and my coverage is nothing short of stellar. But then again it is no matter
    where I go.
    11-28-10 04:53 PM
    I've had AT&T for years and have had no coverage problems. My wife was on Verizon for a while but eventually switched to AT&T due to bad reception.
    11-28-10 04:57 PM
    Sounds like it's definitely location based. My husband's work phone is on Sprint and the coverage stinks for him! LOL But, other people love Sprint and don't have the same issues.

If it weren't for that, I would switch to Sprint because they still have an Unlimited Everything plan...LOL
    11-28-10 05:57 PM
    AT&T is spending millions both this year & next upgrading their network. Many areas have been upgraded already, but work is still continuing. Not sure what area of the country you're in but chances are very good that upgrades are currently happening in your area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-10 06:09 PM
    I have to say after 3 1/2 years with AT&T I was pretty happy. But this year my
    coverage began to get progressively worse. Especially in the areas that my coverage
    was pretty good. I'm sure it had more to do with the iPhone 4 I had. But either way
    it was getting too frustrating when I wasn't near Wifi. Switched to Verizon and am
    here to stay.
    11-28-10 06:13 PM
    That is very odd. I live in CT and travel to Boston and the surrounding area quite
    often and my coverage is nothing short of stellar. But then again it is no matter
    where I go.
    Same. I had great coverage with AT&T here in NY, my iPhone just dropped a lot of calls (BBs didn't). My VZW coverage isn't that much better, but the call quality is (the DX also has the best call quality out of any device I have ever used, so I'm sure that is what's making the difference).
    11-28-10 06:20 PM
    In houston Texas my 9000 3 G is constantly in and out of Edge service here in west houston.
    11-28-10 06:28 PM
    Every carrier is going to have strong area and weak area coverages....it's just the nature of the beast. The best thing someone can due before locking themselves into a multiyear contract with a specific carrier is to do a bit of hw and see what coverage is in the specific area you will be spending most of your time in and chose accordingly. There is no such thing as a perfect carrier in terms of perfect continuous coverage anywhere you go. ATT, Verizon, sprint and t-mo want you to believe they are, but no one is.
    11-28-10 06:32 PM
    I did not have this issue until I went to 3g. Research wont tell you good and bad spots, after all ATT brags they cover 97% of all.

But we really know what the are saying, dont we! They may cover 97% of people, but coverage isnt 97%!
    11-28-10 06:35 PM
    And, of course we all know they only mean their Edge (2G) network has that coverage. As it's noted in the fine print on screen whenever they say that.

11-29-10 10:57 AM
    Verizon has the best coverage. They spend billions on their network, always improving. I know their pricing is more costly, but in the long run, wouldn't you rather have the coverage you need and know you are not going to have issues?
    You can try them for 30 days and see for yourself. They also have followed suit on their data pricing but I do prefer to have the unlimited. I don't want any overage costs which can be very expensive. I am fortunate and do get a corporate discount. But even if I didn't I would still keep the plan and data that I have. It is my only phone and I have to have reliability.
    I had sold wireless for around 5 yrs and I sold Verizon on the indirect side. I had a customer in the Carefree area who had horrible AT&T coverage . They went to them and actually were allowed out of their contract without paying the ETF Their service was horrible, couldn't keep a signal in their home or outside unless they walked to the end of their driveway. A tech person from AT&T came to their home. We had given them a loaner to try Verizon and they switched. If there is a strong argument, there are times a carrier will let you out of the contract.
    11-29-10 11:53 AM
    Yeah ATT might let you out of your contract, they don't guarantee service inside buildings actually.

Verizon by nature has a more penetrating signal. If thats what you need, talk to ATT and keep complaining about that, they might let you out. They most likely won't but either way talk to them.

I don't get service in my house either
    11-29-10 11:58 AM
    In houston Texas my 9000 3 G is constantly in and out of Edge service here in west houston.
    AMEN! Its a given for me to drive near either I-10@ Beltway 8 or I-10@ 610 West Loop and my calls will drop everytime.
    11-29-10 12:25 PM
    I have a Bold 9700, which is a nice phone, when you have a signal. When you don't it is so frustrating. I am actually holding back on upgrading to the Torch because of the AT&T network. I have 1 yr left on my contract and I am certain that before it expires, I will leave early for Verizon. Although the smartphone options with Verizon aren't as many as with AT&T, I'm willing to use a lower-featured phone with a good network.

Does anyone know of any plans that AT&T has to improve its network?
    I've had AT+T for 6 years and I get a signal pretty much everywhere in the DC area.

11-29-10 10:56 PM
    I've had AT&T for 4years and I love the service....I'm in Georgia...few dead zones
    11-29-10 11:45 PM
    ii have had at&t for several years .i am 20 min out of boston i get great covereage .a very rare dropped call which can happen with any service .i have strong 3 g coverage every except my apt .my complex was built in 60's.i have wifi no problem .i am very satisfied wit at&T .
    11-30-10 12:44 AM
    My personal phone is a 9700/9800 with AT&T. My work phone is a 9650 with Verizon. I travel constantly all over the U.S., with the exception of the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. I carry both devices with me at all times. I do not see *any* difference *at all* between my AT&T and my Verizon phones.
    There was a time when I was unable to get a signal in the DC Metro sydtem, but they recently opened up the system to all carriers and now I have the same coverage.
    I have been in Manhattan and San Francisco, where everyne says AT&T has terrible coverage, and I can make calls on my personal device in all the same areas as my work phone.
    I really, really don't understand all the complaints against AT&T cverage. I get the little X in the same spots on both phones.

11-30-10 04:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD