I was looking at a torch because it's the best BB on the market. I'm on Sprint and I'm only thinking about switching to get this phone. I currently get free GPS Telenav. I use it prollly 4 or 5 times a month. On AT&T it's $10 a month. Is there a 3rd party app that does the same thing that can be installed to avoid this charge by AT&T?
    01-23-11 04:14 PM
    There is an app called WisePilot in App world. It gives you a free trial, it works really well. I think the cost of the app is 80.00, but thats a one time fee from what I can tell.

BlackBerry App World - Wisepilot - GPS Navigator
    01-23-11 04:17 PM
    Google Maps works for the most part.
    01-23-11 04:43 PM
    You can install Garmin on the Torch for a one-time $90 charge.
    01-23-11 06:29 PM
    Google maps does work well, so does the native blackberry maps. But if you require vocal turn by turn directions instead of just maps, then you need to go with Wisepilot, Garmin, or some other type of GPS navigation program.
    01-23-11 07:00 PM
    I've read somewhere on these forums that there is a free app called 'Waze' for voice-guided turn-by-turn navigation. Suggest searching for it here on CB.
    01-23-11 07:20 PM
    I tried Waze and didn't like it. Does Garmin have a free trial for the Torch? I tried Garmin on my Bold 9000 and the volume was really low. And if any of you have ever owned the 9000, it has one of the loudest speakers for mobile phones. I didn't try it on my 9700.
    01-23-11 07:26 PM
    Just wish they'd include it free. :-(
    01-23-11 08:11 PM
    Waze is pretty good, and it's free. Not as good as Garmin, but close. And for free, the price is right.
    01-23-11 08:16 PM
    waze is pretty good, but you do need people that use it around you to get updated map (because it's like a social networking map). I'm the Area manager of my region on waze, every week I have to check what new road is added and accept them if it's a real road or not.
    01-24-11 07:00 AM
    Garmin is the only decent choice, and it will work out cheaper than AT&T Navigator if you use it for more than 10 months. It's not particularly loud on the Torch (and the quality of the sound coming from the app itself isn't exactly top notch), but it's more than adequate as long as you're not blasting music in your car.
    01-24-11 10:13 AM
    Be careful where you buy your Garmin product. I had a problem with an outfit called Handango and it took a month to get a refund. But they have released a version of Garmin Navigator for Torch with lifetime updates for about $100.

I tried the trial version, after I got my refund for the accidentally d/l Storm edition, and it didn't work.

Instead I bought a Garmin Nuvi 255WT on sale at Best Buy for less than $80. I love it. It comes with a windshield mount that actually suctions on to the windshield and frees up my Torch for other uses.
    01-24-11 10:27 AM
    Google maps does work well, so does the native blackberry maps. But if you require vocal turn by turn directions instead of just maps, then you need to go with Wisepilot, Garmin, or some other type of GPS navigation program.
    Google Maps for the Blackberry doesn't provide vocal turn by turn directions? It does on my husbands Android phone.
    01-24-11 05:00 PM
    No, Google maps doesn't provide vocal turn-by-turn on BB. That would be great! Maybe it's in the works?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 05:11 PM
    I would love a voice turn by turn app as well.

01-24-11 05:40 PM
    Google Maps for the Blackberry doesn't provide vocal turn by turn directions? It does on my husbands Android phone.
    That may be Google Navigator. Which sadly is not available for us.

Which is why I kept my S/E X10 LOL ..... Without a sim card the GPS and WIFI still work.

And the screen is a half acre.
    01-24-11 09:54 PM
    That may be Google Navigator. Which sadly is not available for us.

Which is why I kept my S/E X10 LOL ..... Without a sim card the GPS and WIFI still work.

And the screen is a half acre.
    Nope all he has is Google Maps. Looking at the information that Google provides, the Android version of Google Maps has a few things that aren't available for any other mobile OS.

Google Maps for mobile
    01-25-11 06:05 PM
    Try Poynt, it's got step by step directions on a map

:-)

BlackBerry App World - Poynt
    01-28-11 10:26 PM
    QuickFind from Nikkisoft (quicklaunch anyone?)Does voice turn by turn...

01-28-11 11:28 PM
    ^ $1.99....I don't know, pretty steep, lol
    QuickFind
    01-29-11 01:32 PM
    why does android have google navigator but we can't get a free, good, turn by turn.. blackberry is always left in the dark. Not to mention, everything for blackberry comes with expense. It's stupid. I may just have to go back to Android just for that reason.
    01-29-11 02:12 PM
    why does android have google navigator but we can't get a free, good, turn by turn.. blackberry is always left in the dark. Not to mention, everything for blackberry comes with expense. It's stupid. I may just have to go back to Android just for that reason.

THIS!

I kept my S/E X10, Now if I can find that Cache Maps thread I can use Navigator.

But my bet is this...

Android is for the masses, Dumb,toy loving and without the caliber of income or the demographic that BB has traditionally attracted.

I'd imagine that traditionally most BB owners use their phone for a pocket communication device (Email,BBM and the like) and they may have a Tom Tom or something else for navigation.

BB doesn't seem to be aiming for the All in one device that Android offers.
    01-29-11 08:49 PM
    try telmap navigator, its a beta but works better than waze. make sure to say your from the uk when signing up for the beta otherwise you can't get it
    01-29-11 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD